Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL 12:10 - Sep 17 with 3986 viewsBrianTablet

Sir Bobby's first full season up to Christmas...

Patience is a virture.

http://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=seasons&text=1969-70&level=1

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:05 - Sep 17 with 552 viewsLeagueOne

It's genuinely looking like we have assembled one of the worst teams in the league and arguably one of our worse ever sides. So far the results are proving this case, Sir Bobby's first season does not prove that this is not the case. This, much like the whole "well the bottom three don't usually get relegated at this time (no sh1t) here are the stats from the past 5 seasons",bares absolutely no relevance to this season or this era of football.

Now while I agree it is early days and some of the new signings may come good, the system and playing style coupled with the amount of change we've seen and the lower level recruitment due to the strict budget the manager is working with has so far been a toxic mix that has led us to no wins since the season started. We looked rubbish against Exeter for example and we looked even worse against Hull this weekend. A decent Brentford side should tera us to pieces on Tuesday in theory.

Now while I wouldn't advocate the manager being sacked at this stage, but if we're still in the bottom three come the end of October then I expect unless something changes, we will drop. Some fans are arguing that relegation would be a good thing, but I can't see Evans doing anything other than maintaining his strict budget and we'll struggle to compete finally at that level as well unless Evans changes his tune.

I am mentally preparing for a very rough ride.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:12 - Sep 17 with 543 viewsm14_blue

DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 13:30 - Sep 17 by patrickswell

If it gets lost, it's because it's a fatuous comparison. Robson was pitting his wits against Revie's Leeds, Shankly's Liverpool, Clough's Derby, Bill Nicholson's Tottenham, a Man Utd side that could still put out Law, Charlton and Best, an Arsenal side that were one season away from winning the Double, the Chelsea of Osgood/Cooke/Hudson, World Cup winning West Ham in a period when the World Cup winners still played for them.

Losses to them would have hurt but were understandable. Losses to Paul Warne's Rotherham and Nigel Adkins's Hull don't quite measure up.

Apart from Jackie Milburn, who quit early on in the 64-65 season, before the side got its first victory of that season, Hurst has gone longer than any ITFC manager has at getting a victory in the second tier. Yep, even John Duncan was on the board after 4 games, let alone 7.

Patience is a virtue, but throw us a bone here, Paul. Before it's too late.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2018 13:33]

To be fair, I don't think the OP is comparing Hurst to Robson and certainly not this team to Robson's teams.

They're simply pointing out (pretty effectively) that 7 games is too short a time to make a judgement on whether a manager will ultimately be successful or not.

I'm a bit worried, particularly after Saturday's performance, but we could well all be say here in a few weeks wondering what all the bed wetting was about.
DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:14 - Sep 17 with 539 viewsBenters2

OH yeah of course it’s bound to happen again ffs !
DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:20 - Sep 17 with 535 viewspatrickswell

DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:12 - Sep 17 by m14_blue

To be fair, I don't think the OP is comparing Hurst to Robson and certainly not this team to Robson's teams.

They're simply pointing out (pretty effectively) that 7 games is too short a time to make a judgement on whether a manager will ultimately be successful or not.

I'm a bit worried, particularly after Saturday's performance, but we could well all be say here in a few weeks wondering what all the bed wetting was about.

Fair enough, but people need to put the Robson comparisons to bed altogether to stop making fans who are concerned about this poor start feel like they would have killed Robson's era before it had started. Even in the space of his first seven matches, Robson had chalked up wins against Manchester United and Arsenal. In the relegation battle of that first full season, he was throwing in Clive Woods, Mick Lambert and Trevor Whymark. On every metric of progress so far, even early progress, Hurst is miles behind.

6 points this week will help settle everything down, hell even 4 points would be nice. I hope we are able to look back on this and laugh about it soon.
DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:32 - Sep 17 with 526 viewsm14_blue

DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:20 - Sep 17 by patrickswell

Fair enough, but people need to put the Robson comparisons to bed altogether to stop making fans who are concerned about this poor start feel like they would have killed Robson's era before it had started. Even in the space of his first seven matches, Robson had chalked up wins against Manchester United and Arsenal. In the relegation battle of that first full season, he was throwing in Clive Woods, Mick Lambert and Trevor Whymark. On every metric of progress so far, even early progress, Hurst is miles behind.

6 points this week will help settle everything down, hell even 4 points would be nice. I hope we are able to look back on this and laugh about it soon.

Can't argue with that.
DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 15:23 - Sep 17 with 509 viewsLeagueOne

DLLLLLLWDDLDWWLDDDLWLDWLLLL on 14:20 - Sep 17 by patrickswell

This is a whole new era. I think what concerns many is not only are the results poor but we've been very poor at times as well. The optimistic of us have said it's good to see exciting, entertaining football again and well worth the risk but I just don't see it myself.

In the window last summer we signed Huws, Garner and Waghorn - this window we've signed Jackson, Harrison and Nolan. It's a drop in quality. There was a lot of excitement about these players coming on, but they've been crap. Really crap at times.

We have only had 7 games granted but these three permanent signings have not looked anywhere near good enough to play in the Championship thus far. People whinge about Sears but at least he can play at this level, I haven't even seen a spark of that quality from those three yet - yet on here there was nearly an open top bus parade declaring Marcus Evans as the messiah when they signed!

People celebrated Webster, Didz and co being shown the door but they were better than what we've signed and the results are proving this, as are the effort levels which have also been poor.

It's going to hit some like a brick if thing do not improve thats for sure because the overhype in the summer was silly.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024