Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday 20:30 - Oct 5 with 1006 viewsWickwar_Blue

Long time observer, occasional poster. Town fan since 1985.

I'm running the Bournemouth Marathon on Sunday. Done lots of running, including about 5 half marathons over the past four months but the longest run I have managed is 15.

Think I will be ok to about 18 but then anything could happen......

So much conflicting advice out there ranging from potential death to could be potentially surprised.

Any tips/experience appreciated!
Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 20:38 - Oct 5 with 993 viewsEJP

Don’t go off too fast...!
Carry a bottle of water or Lucozade from the start.
Jelly Babies are your friend!
Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 20:48 - Oct 5 with 968 viewsWickwar_Blue

Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 20:38 - Oct 5 by EJP

Thanks. Yep... if my first mile is 8 min something I am toast
Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 21:07 - Oct 5 with 949 viewsSwansea_Blue

Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 20:38 - Oct 5 by EJP

^ this times a hundred. Feel like you're crawling the first 10 and things will go better later. Really hard not to get caught up in the thrill of the occasion though. I've only ever done 1 - did my first half in about 1:50 and second in about 2:40. Adrenaline alone doesn't work!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 06:37 - Oct 6 with 861 viewsBeds_blue

Be confident in what you can control - pace, clothing, nutrition, hydration, route. Also make sure if you use a watch, phone, app, earphones, music that that are all working properly. Get you gear sorted the night before, race number attached and make sure it won't rub as you run. Know where you are going at the start, you can't be too early. Have breakfast planned and any further fueling and hydrating pre race all timed so you won't be worrying about finding toilets or running with a full stomach.
It is not just two halves back to back but it's not far off if you get the pacing right, the last bit will hurt but you will get through it. Keep moving and focus on the finish line.
Remember to smile and enjoy it!
Been nice knowing you all..... running a marathon on Sunday on 07:28 - Oct 6 with 836 viewsTractorWood

I was in exactly the same situation in May when I did the Milton Keynes marathon. A marathon requires a different mind set to a half, it's a war of attrition. Disregard what time you get, as finishing your first one is a massive achievement.

Go off slowly and take it easy from miles 16-22, especially if you've not done close to the distance. The crowd will pull you along and adrenaline will see your through the last 3 miles.

Good luck.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2018 7:30]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024