Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today’s United Nations report on poverty in the Uk 14:04 - Nov 17 with 702 viewsSuperfrans

I have long since given up on discussing political issues on here, or raising topics outside of football (on the whole). It seems to me that people are most entrenched in their views and discussing on here rarely (if ever) persuades people to think otherwise.

But this story shocked me today and I would just ask people to read it and view the video. You’ll notice I have posted both the Guardian and Telegraph story, in case any thinks this is just the reflecting the agenda of one media outlet,

I just wish we lived in a time when we had a Government who would hear feedback like this and at least consider it worthwhile to look into the assertions made in this report and, if genuine, try to do something about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/16/welfare-system-cruel-misogynistic-un

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/15/benefits-system-could-be-brande

https://www.channel4.com/news/un-expert-says-austerity-has-condemned-millions-to

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Today’s United Nations report on poverty in the Uk on 14:22 - Nov 17 with 674 viewsSwansea_Blue

This can’t have come as a shock though? For years we’ve had countless organisations working on the front line telling us they’re struggling to cope, countless charities telling us things are bad and getting worse, and all illustrated with countless tragic personal stories.

You’ve highlighted part of the reason why this is so readily accepted by some of us. If it’s reported in the ‘wrong’ press people dismiss it as propaganda because they’re so tribal in their politics.

As I said on Ryorry’s thread, it’s a national embarrassment.

The government have denied it of course .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Today’s United Nations report on poverty in the Uk on 15:05 - Nov 17 with 625 viewsfactual_blue

Today’s United Nations report on poverty in the Uk on 14:22 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

This can’t have come as a shock though? For years we’ve had countless organisations working on the front line telling us they’re struggling to cope, countless charities telling us things are bad and getting worse, and all illustrated with countless tragic personal stories.

You’ve highlighted part of the reason why this is so readily accepted by some of us. If it’s reported in the ‘wrong’ press people dismiss it as propaganda because they’re so tribal in their politics.

Anybody who has had any dealings with universal credit since it first surfaced in 2010 has known from the outset it was going to be an unmitigated disaster, both in terms of the introduction of a colossal IT project, and in terms of the underlying philosophy of the return to the values of the Victorian Workhouse.

The project has gone through Civil Servants like German machine gunners on the first day of the Somme, usually because they had the temerity to tell ids what was actually happening.

And as for the ordinary folk whose lives it has ruined, and will continue to do so....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Today’s United Nations report on poverty in the Uk on 15:25 - Nov 17 with 596 viewsNo9

Today’s United Nations report on poverty in the Uk on 14:22 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

As you say Cahrities have been flag waving on these problems for a long while. Now we have councils unable to meet their obligations to the poor in their area.
All the public services are ringing alarms while this government keeps telling us a different story.
& still Minister come on TV /radio & lie
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024