Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turkey roll experts 21:41 - Dec 24 with 1020 viewsCOYBitfc

Ok so last min change of plans, we are doing dinner at home tomorrow instead of the better halves relatives. Her brother has the turkey roll, 5000g. Having never cooked one before whats the best prep method and cooking time? I’m reading 25 min per 450g. But having never done one before and being sure some of you finer tuned individuals have experience in this field thought I’d ask.

Happy Christmas Eve one and all

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

Turkey roll experts on 21:54 - Dec 24 with 985 viewsFtnfwest

Just looking at that as we’ve got a 10lb one. Recipe we’ve used before is 18 mins per pound = 180 mins (or 3 hours) plus 20 minutes. That’s at 180 fan oven, 200 non fan. 10lb = 4500g so another 20-25 minutes for yours I would think. Aim for 45 minutes before you eat though as well to let it rest. Basically start it 4 houkrs 15 before you sit down.
Turkey roll experts on 22:00 - Dec 24 with 964 viewsjeera

Turkey roll experts on 21:54 - Dec 24 by Ftnfwest

Just looking at that as we’ve got a 10lb one. Recipe we’ve used before is 18 mins per pound = 180 mins (or 3 hours) plus 20 minutes. That’s at 180 fan oven, 200 non fan. 10lb = 4500g so another 20-25 minutes for yours I would think. Aim for 45 minutes before you eat though as well to let it rest. Basically start it 4 houkrs 15 before you sit down.

These are boneless right? So the main thing is to stop it drying.

Like you say, the rest is simply down to temperature and timing.

Unless matey's has come pre-prepped with stuffing and all that included he'd want to get something in the centre and keep it well covered for much of the process?

Rub some butter on the top and regular basting. Bit of liquid [a good splash if nothing else] maybe.

Can't go far wrong really.

Yorkshires?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Turkey roll experts on 22:10 - Dec 24 with 947 viewsFtnfwest

Turkey roll experts on 22:00 - Dec 24 by jeera

These are boneless right? So the main thing is to stop it drying.

Like you say, the rest is simply down to temperature and timing.

Unless matey's has come pre-prepped with stuffing and all that included he'd want to get something in the centre and keep it well covered for much of the process?

Rub some butter on the top and regular basting. Bit of liquid [a good splash if nothing else] maybe.

Can't go far wrong really.

Yorkshires?

Yes boneless and yes yorkies! Mind you the latter will be frozen pre made ones. I’ve promised everyone I’ll make a proper tray sized Yorkshire one Sunday but Xmas just isn’t the time to do it! Have a great Xmas sir!
Turkey roll experts on 22:13 - Dec 24 with 939 viewsCOYBitfc

Cheers gents - advice is in line with my thinking so fingers crossed I don’t f it up for all attending.

Defo Yorkies but as above these are out the freezer, not enough oven space to do my normal ones

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

Turkey roll experts on 22:14 - Dec 24 with 938 viewsFtnfwest

Turkey roll experts on 21:54 - Dec 24 by Ftnfwest

Can’t count, 4 hours 30. But cover and keep basting as jeera says. Uncover for last half hour maybe (we usually bung a load of streaky bacon on it as well)
Turkey roll experts on 22:15 - Dec 24 with 933 viewsjeera

Turkey roll experts on 22:10 - Dec 24 by Ftnfwest

Yes boneless and yes yorkies! Mind you the latter will be frozen pre made ones. I’ve promised everyone I’ll make a proper tray sized Yorkshire one Sunday but Xmas just isn’t the time to do it! Have a great Xmas sir!

And you fella.

Have fun.

Cheers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Turkey roll experts on 22:33 - Dec 24 with 907 viewsSarge

Invest in a probe thermometer for next time. When it gets to 165°F it’s done. Mine has an app so I can sit in the lounge and simply wait for my phone to tell me when turkey is done.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024