Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? 13:36 - Feb 18 with 886 viewsmartin12120137

Looking at getting one but want to know how involved they are etc
Thanks

(Gav - then don't put the thread in the football section! :-) )

This post has been edited by an administrator
Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 13:44 - Feb 18 with 853 viewsfactual_blue

Surely a DM to feargalsharkey would be your best bet for anything marine-oriented?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 13:58 - Feb 18 with 827 viewsmartin12120137

Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 13:44 - Feb 18 by factual_blue

Surely a DM to feargalsharkey would be your best bet for anything marine-oriented?

Thanks for that! How do I contact her directly as not sure how ?
Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 14:05 - Feb 18 with 813 viewsearlsgreenblue

It depends on what you want to keep in it? They can be very involved, if your intending to keep hardy fish, soft corals then pretty easy especially if you have some aquarium knowledge. But for LPS & SPS (hard) corals a lot more work required, water parameters etc have to be spot on for life & more so for growth! Bigger is better as changes happen much slower in a large system, filtration, lighting, power costs can be quite high.

I have everything to set up a 4/5 ft tank, except tank & stand, if you are going to get into it i could clear my shed out, it is probable we will be retiring to the sun soon hence why i stripped mine out, all top end stuff, books, test kits, refractometers, you name it.

If you want to have a look, pm me & will arrange a time,

Marcus.
Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 14:12 - Feb 18 with 814 viewsSwansea_Blue

I had one, but broke it down before I went to the States for a bit (it's still in the garage looking for a new home, but I suspect you're nowhere near Swansea)

They can be hard work. It all depends on what you want to keep - if it's just fish they're more tolerant of nitrates and phosphate build up from waste. If you would like to keep corals, then you need to be a lot more rigorous with monitoring and controlling the water quality. Corals also need more equipment and better light. But again within corals there's a scale of easy to keep through to very difficult.

In short they are a bit of a tie, especially if you keep corals. It's not necessarily difficult, just quite an involved hobby taking regular commitments of time.

It can get ridiculously expensive, or you can keep it cheap by using 2nd hand equipment and easy, commonly kept fish and by scouring the forums for corals people are giving away.

Forums and books would be a good place to pick up knowledge. Ultimate Reef is one of the biggest forums, if a little impersonal at times because there's so much traffic on it.

Post away if you have questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 14:30 - Feb 18 with 802 viewsfactual_blue

Not football related but does anyone have a marine fish tank? on 13:58 - Feb 18 by martin12120137

Thanks for that! How do I contact her directly as not sure how ?

It's a joke. Sorry if I've misled you.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024