Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? 09:44 - Apr 4 with 969 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47788451

If 6 parts per billion is a 'spike' how many parts per billion would be in a fart?

Maybe the martians had lentils with a topping of chick peas for supper.
or
The rover farted but didn't want to fess-up. 'Not me' he shouted to no-one in particular, quickly sending a fake news report back to NASA to cover up his trumping.

Who knows.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 09:49 - Apr 4 with 952 viewsStokieBlue

It's essentially the same result that the Viking lander got in the 1970's in their experiment designed to look for life on Mars.

I'll let you decide whether it's tinfoil hat time or not.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 09:57 - Apr 4 with 936 viewshomer_123

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 09:49 - Apr 4 by StokieBlue

It's essentially the same result that the Viking lander got in the 1970's in their experiment designed to look for life on Mars.

SB

Pazelle, calling Pazelle....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 10:12 - Apr 4 with 918 viewshampstead_blue

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 09:49 - Apr 4 by StokieBlue

SB

I can't wait for us to find life out there. My tin foil hat has a blue and white rosette plonked on top.

There was a piece recently which hypothesised that other life forms are probably also reaching out but we aren't able to detect their messages as we are too primitive.
I do like that theory.

I will predict that ITFC will be back in the Prem before we do detect sentient life. Big call that one!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 10:25 - Apr 4 with 909 viewsStokieBlue

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 10:12 - Apr 4 by hampstead_blue

I can't wait for us to find life out there. My tin foil hat has a blue and white rosette plonked on top.

There was a piece recently which hypothesised that other life forms are probably also reaching out but we aren't able to detect their messages as we are too primitive.
I do like that theory.

I will predict that ITFC will be back in the Prem before we do detect sentient life. Big call that one!

Unfortunately I would say that theory is a bit simplistic. Given what we know about physics either radio waves or photons are the way they would reach out and we are looking for both of those. Unfortunately the sky is big and the funding is small so it's worse than a needle in a haystack and we haven't been looking long.

Of course they could use physics we don't know but that's speculation. To say we are too primitive plays down humanities scientific progress in my opinion.

So we will never find any sentient life then?

SB

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 10:26 - Apr 4 with 908 viewsSteve_M

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 09:57 - Apr 4 by homer_123

Pazelle, calling Pazelle....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 11:05 - Apr 4 with 877 viewshampstead_blue

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 10:25 - Apr 4 by StokieBlue

Unfortunately I would say that theory is a bit simplistic. Given what we know about physics either radio waves or photons are the way they would reach out and we are looking for both of those. Unfortunately the sky is big and the funding is small so it's worse than a needle in a haystack and we haven't been looking long.

Of course they could use physics we don't know but that's speculation. To say we are too primitive plays down humanities scientific progress in my opinion.

So we will never find any sentient life then?

SB

I can't recall the context of the writer who hypothesised on the communication piece. They may have had their tongue in cheek. It does sound plausible.

Our own scientific progress isn't that amazing. We've done OK of course but not so well as to cause man made global warming. That's a real black mark. I'd say we are good at bad things and not so good at the really good things.

Will we find sentient life? The probability is a positive but I'd say a very small number. I think we will probably trash our planet before we get a reply.

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 11:17 - Apr 4 with 865 viewsStokieBlue

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 11:05 - Apr 4 by hampstead_blue

I can't recall the context of the writer who hypothesised on the communication piece. They may have had their tongue in cheek. It does sound plausible.

Our own scientific progress isn't that amazing. We've done OK of course but not so well as to cause man made global warming. That's a real black mark. I'd say we are good at bad things and not so good at the really good things.

Will we find sentient life? The probability is a positive but I'd say a very small number. I think we will probably trash our planet before we get a reply.

I think it's more that we are too good at inventing things. Our progress out-strips our ability to understand longer-term consequences. Don't forget that it all started in the 1800's when nothing about climatic modelling was known. I think we are far better at it now, with knowledge comes appreciation of tangential impacts.

I suspect any intelligent species goes through the phase we are currently in, it's virtually impossible to skip the carbon phase because things like coal and oil give a lot of energy for relatively little effort and technology. They provide the energy to get to the next phase which is retirement of those technologies for greener techs which is the stage we are entering now.

You really seem to have a downer on your species.

SB

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 11:32 - Apr 4 with 854 viewshampstead_blue

Is this evidence of life or has someone just farted? on 11:17 - Apr 4 by StokieBlue

I think it's more that we are too good at inventing things. Our progress out-strips our ability to understand longer-term consequences. Don't forget that it all started in the 1800's when nothing about climatic modelling was known. I think we are far better at it now, with knowledge comes appreciation of tangential impacts.

I suspect any intelligent species goes through the phase we are currently in, it's virtually impossible to skip the carbon phase because things like coal and oil give a lot of energy for relatively little effort and technology. They provide the energy to get to the next phase which is retirement of those technologies for greener techs which is the stage we are entering now.

You really seem to have a downer on your species.

SB

I feel sad that the global powers seem so hell bent on short term gain to the detriment of the many. A box not worth opening for my OP.

It would be great to learn new ideas from our space travel. Improve our lives and hopefully move to sustainability.

I've not got a downer, am positive.
Feeling rather chipper even though it very chilly and I am about to get on a train to London and get more cold and wet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024