Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts 16:05 - May 13 with 13147 viewsSpruceMoose

Packham is a fooking legend in my eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/13/chris-packham-festival-appea

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:31 - May 27 with 311 viewstrueblue1970

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 22:55 - May 26 by WeWereZombies

I used to volunteer in a wood and we were next to another wood where shooting was allowed. The spread of feed for game birds was spread over the ground so sloppily that this wood became infested with rats. I think that is where you will find your biggest countryside (and town) pest.

As you say rats are a pest everywhere and will always be found where there is an easy meal, all shoots that I know of control their rats this is done using poison and to do this you close down your feeders for a few days so the rats food source has gone, poison is placed under tin so no birds can get it.
I’m interested in the spreading of the food never heard of this to the extent of going onto someone else’s land?, it’s expensive stuff so not normally thrown around sloppily?,you do get hand feeding & in large shoots small spreaders not normally to the amounts you experienced?, mostly picked up by game birds & wild birds
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:39 - May 27 with 304 viewsm14_blue

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 17:17 - May 26 by trueblue1970

Fake news !
Not looking for an argument just putting my view across which by reading this is very much different to most of you, to start I won’t be calling anyone names or disrespecting other posters views unlike a lot of posters on here
Management of the countryside has been taking places for years, the trapping of stoats,weasels,rats & mink (mink following the release by people who thought they were doing right but in fact released hell into the countryside). We have been shooting pigeons,jays,magpies & rooks.
All of these are predators and take eggs young chicks with the exception of pigeons they are controlled to save crops.
None of the above are on endangered lists they are all flourishing what’s going to happen now Mr Packham has interfered with years of management, all those birds that are endangered birds like the curlew will have no chance of rearing young.
The view that shooting is a rich mans sport is distorted yes there is a lot of money in the big shoots but that’s not all shooting, there will be a lot of jobs lost within the industry and the other businesses that may not be directly connected to shooting
I could go on but I will stop there

That’s a very long winded way of saying, “I like shooting animals for fun.”
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:40 - May 27 with 303 viewsWeWereZombies

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:31 - May 27 by trueblue1970

As you say rats are a pest everywhere and will always be found where there is an easy meal, all shoots that I know of control their rats this is done using poison and to do this you close down your feeders for a few days so the rats food source has gone, poison is placed under tin so no birds can get it.
I’m interested in the spreading of the food never heard of this to the extent of going onto someone else’s land?, it’s expensive stuff so not normally thrown around sloppily?,you do get hand feeding & in large shoots small spreaders not normally to the amounts you experienced?, mostly picked up by game birds & wild birds

The spreading was (just about) within the confines of a fenced in area that young game birds were reared in, the rat infestation was what went beyond that fenced in piece and beyond to the 'shooters' wood and then into the conservation area.

Good to have this conversation, I know that the BASC do take having a voice in conservation very seriously but it can get polarised. I saw an article in the West Highland Free Press a couple of weeks ago where an estate manager complained about the feral goats around Kintail and how they are a danger to drivers. Now I have never been to worried about them and quite enjoy seeing them graze by the roadside (and I think they are a bit of a draw for the tourists as well), deer however...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 18:21 - May 27 with 278 viewstrueblue1970

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:39 - May 27 by m14_blue

That’s a very long winded way of saying, “I like shooting animals for fun.”

No sensible debate yes I do shoot
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 18:24 - May 27 with 272 viewstrueblue1970

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:40 - May 27 by WeWereZombies

The spreading was (just about) within the confines of a fenced in area that young game birds were reared in, the rat infestation was what went beyond that fenced in piece and beyond to the 'shooters' wood and then into the conservation area.

Good to have this conversation, I know that the BASC do take having a voice in conservation very seriously but it can get polarised. I saw an article in the West Highland Free Press a couple of weeks ago where an estate manager complained about the feral goats around Kintail and how they are a danger to drivers. Now I have never been to worried about them and quite enjoy seeing them graze by the roadside (and I think they are a bit of a draw for the tourists as well), deer however...

And that’s the issue I like to see deer but not on my bonnet

There is a lot of conservation that goes on and without shooting and management of the countryside a lot of wildlife would be lost, I get to some it’s cruel but those same people will kill flys,ants etc etc swat a wasp and not even think about it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024