Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts 16:05 - May 13 with 13148 viewsSpruceMoose

Packham is a fooking legend in my eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/13/chris-packham-festival-appea

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 11:51 - May 14 with 2847 viewsGeoffSentence

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 11:07 - May 14 by jeera

Numbers certainly seem to be up although I can't say I've exactly done much research.

How pigeons survive at all, let alone thrive the way they do is beyond me.

They're stupid beyond belief.

They are a bit like people, they just love shagging. Pigeons breed all year round.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:15 - May 14 with 2824 viewsLKW15

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 10:53 - May 14 by Herbivore

Good for him. And Packham has been at pains to point out that the changes he's pushed for won't stop legitimate pest control and nor is that his aim. The licencing system had basically given people carte blanche to shoot up as much avian wildlife as they fancied.

indeed, sadly i think he is in the minority. Unfortunately mixing in his social circle has meant I've met plenty of bellends who have to use shooting animals as a penis extension
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:16 - May 14 with 2824 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

I am certainly not for just shooting things for the sake of it, but do you realise the damage that crows and rooks do, they will wipe out a lot of songbirds if they are not controlled. I think that country folk and farmers who see and deal with problems daily should have a say not some townie who has not got a clue and lives in dreamland
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:18 - May 14 with 2820 viewsHerbivore

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:16 - May 14 by never_lose_the_faith

I am certainly not for just shooting things for the sake of it, but do you realise the damage that crows and rooks do, they will wipe out a lot of songbirds if they are not controlled. I think that country folk and farmers who see and deal with problems daily should have a say not some townie who has not got a clue and lives in dreamland

Yeah, what does Chris Packham know about wildlife?

I'm not sure you've bothered reading up on what this is actually about.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:19 - May 14 with 2821 viewsjeera

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:16 - May 14 by never_lose_the_faith

It's a fair point as it goes. They'll kill and eat anything and seem to have few, if any, predators themselves.

There's a little duck pond outside of my mother's place and every years the crows pick off the babies one by one.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:23 - May 14 with 2817 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 12:19 - May 14 by jeera

It's a fair point as it goes. They'll kill and eat anything and seem to have few, if any, predators themselves.

There's a little duck pond outside of my mother's place and every years the crows pick off the babies one by one.

@jeera
You can not reason with these people, they clearly dont know the facts at all otherwise why downvote me, when all I am doing is stating the truth.
Show them some pictures of crows pecking out week lambs eyes and disembarking them aswell.
I wish there was no harm at all to any humans or animals and we could all live happily on earth together, but I am a realist, life ain’t fair, you just have to look to nature for that, animals are the most savage going
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 13:41 - May 14 with 2792 viewsSpruceMoose

If that's the case I think those country folk should keep their beaks out of urban matters.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 15:49 - May 14 with 2772 viewsjeera

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 13:41 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

If that's the case I think those country folk should keep their beaks out of urban matters.

I was just outside giving the car a once over with the pressure washer.

As I stood there armed and feeling empowered, a crow flew low overhead.

I did smile to myself as I quietly considered it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 15:50 - May 14 with 2771 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 13:41 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

Gladly, we don’t get any say anyway.
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 15:54 - May 14 with 2767 viewsSpruceMoose

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 15:50 - May 14 by never_lose_the_faith

Gladly, we don’t get any say anyway.

Really? Someone needs to tell Suffolk county to stop neglecting Ipswich and favouring the bumpkins then.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:01 - May 14 with 2760 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 15:54 - May 14 by SpruceMoose

Really? Someone needs to tell Suffolk county to stop neglecting Ipswich and favouring the bumpkins then.

Favouring the country bumpkin, you can’t drive more than ten yards in the country before hitting a pot hole, I’m not sure what services you think we get that are better than in the towns.
I think as all townies love the environment so much then they should have to lay a congestion charge tax in every town or city centre and also charge way more road tax as you use the roads a,it more and they are better looked after and have millions more spent on them.
But of course people pretend to love the environment until it hits them in their own pockets.
Hypocrites the lot of them
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:01 - May 14 with 2758 viewsSpruceMoose

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:01 - May 14 by never_lose_the_faith

Favouring the country bumpkin, you can’t drive more than ten yards in the country before hitting a pot hole, I’m not sure what services you think we get that are better than in the towns.
I think as all townies love the environment so much then they should have to lay a congestion charge tax in every town or city centre and also charge way more road tax as you use the roads a,it more and they are better looked after and have millions more spent on them.
But of course people pretend to love the environment until it hits them in their own pockets.

Are you ok hun? x

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:06 - May 14 with 2753 viewsHerbivore

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:01 - May 14 by never_lose_the_faith

I love the environment and walk to the city centre and to my local shop. It's you bumpkins driving 10 miles to buy a pint of milk that are killing the Earth.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:06 - May 14 with 2754 viewsLesta_Tractor

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 17:18 - May 13 by SpruceMoose

Well, I guess 'Dogfest' may have attracted a rather different customer type...
[Post edited 13 May 2019 17:19]

Yes, Dogfest at the MCC has been renamed the Dog Lovers Show...

https://dogloversshow.com.au/melbourne/

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:14 - May 14 with 2735 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m not really into killing animals for the hell of it but wasn’t there something about some birds regularly pecking sheep’s eyes out or something?

As for the shooting community - which is a different argument I guess, the thought of spending my day in the countryside and shooting birds really isn’t my thing but I’m not sure it’s that black and white as the shooting community do a fair bit for conservation. Mind you I was down in Dorset the other week and I was a bit taken aback that they shoot so many pheasants on their shoot days that most of them get burnt. I had always assumed that they went to local butchers where they were sold by the brace but apparently there are far too many shot for that. It’s a petty they couldn’t give them all away.

Let them eat pheasant.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:17 - May 14 with 2725 viewsGeoffSentence

Country folk.

This seems to be used in the same manner as 'the fans'

There isn't one homogenous block of 'country folk'. Just like 'townies', country folk hold a wide variety of different views. We aren't all in favour of killing things for fun.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:17 - May 14 with 2725 viewsSpruceMoose

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 16:14 - May 14 by Lord_Lucan

I’m not really into killing animals for the hell of it but wasn’t there something about some birds regularly pecking sheep’s eyes out or something?

As for the shooting community - which is a different argument I guess, the thought of spending my day in the countryside and shooting birds really isn’t my thing but I’m not sure it’s that black and white as the shooting community do a fair bit for conservation. Mind you I was down in Dorset the other week and I was a bit taken aback that they shoot so many pheasants on their shoot days that most of them get burnt. I had always assumed that they went to local butchers where they were sold by the brace but apparently there are far too many shot for that. It’s a petty they couldn’t give them all away.

Let them eat pheasant.

An old colleague used to be in a pheasant blasting club.

He'd bring his birds into the office on a Monday during the shooting season to see if anyone wanted them. He was so proud, like a Labrador wagging his tail.

Never understood it myself. Might as well go to the zoo and shoot something through the bars.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 17:40 - May 14 with 2699 viewsgordon

There's a lot of research into this, and there's very little evidence of predation causing declines of songbirds. Intensification of farming practices in various ways or loss of habitat on wintering grounds is largely responsible for declines in declining songbird species.

Declines in Grey Partridge, Black Grouse, Lapwing, Curlew and a few other waders are linked to predation, though it's usually Foxes / Badgers / other Mammals which are the main culprits - although increasing corvid populations will certainly be a part of these declines too.
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 05:27 - May 15 with 2644 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 17:40 - May 14 by gordon

There's a lot of research into this, and there's very little evidence of predation causing declines of songbirds. Intensification of farming practices in various ways or loss of habitat on wintering grounds is largely responsible for declines in declining songbird species.

Declines in Grey Partridge, Black Grouse, Lapwing, Curlew and a few other waders are linked to predation, though it's usually Foxes / Badgers / other Mammals which are the main culprits - although increasing corvid populations will certainly be a part of these declines too.

I do not need some research by some pen pusher ,when I see it everyday with my own eyes, that’s the thing with living in the countryside, we live it everyday, not waiting for some survey to come out.
If you think that they don’t kill songbirds then I think you should educate yourself on the matter better
P.s. I have never shot any animal in my life, nor will i
[Post edited 15 May 2019 5:28]
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:15 - May 15 with 2634 viewsBackToRussia

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 05:27 - May 15 by never_lose_the_faith

I do not need some research by some pen pusher ,when I see it everyday with my own eyes, that’s the thing with living in the countryside, we live it everyday, not waiting for some survey to come out.
If you think that they don’t kill songbirds then I think you should educate yourself on the matter better

It's funny how song birds did fine before industrialised agriculture came along isn't it? And how crows and songbirds have always coexisted and their numbers were both healthy before the advent of industrialised agriculture.

Again, I find this funny. Do you?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 08:32 - May 15 with 2592 viewsgordon

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 05:27 - May 15 by never_lose_the_faith

I've spent many, many, hours of my life outside surveying, researching, and monitoring wild birds, and I've worked collaboratively with farmers and gamekeepers on various projects - some with really positive attitudes towards gathering data and contributing to research rather than just making lazy, thoughtless statements.

The facts are that Corvids very rarely 'kill' other mature birds - they are primarily scavengers, they will take lots of eggs, nestlings and fledgelings, but not enough to have much affect on songbird populations. Songbirds trends are just very different for different species - Goldfinch, Blackcap, Chiffchaff for example are all 2 or 3 times more abundant now than 20 years ago - this coincides with a period when Corvids have generally increased in abundance across the UK. There's no reason based on their ecology why those species should be less susceptible to nest predation than others.

But as I said, Corvids do have an effect on larger ground nesting birds like waders and gamebirds, and in areas which are good for waders, grey partridge or black grouse particularly, controlling corvids can have significant conservation benefits.

For the example of the ducklings - the reason e.g. Mallards have 2-3 broods a year with 10+ eggs is because they lose lots of the chicks to predators - that's their evolutionary strategy - churn out young which are difficult to protect and loads are lost to predation, but some make it through.

If the average adult female Mallard lays 2 broods per year (of ten eggs each), for let's say 5 productive breeding seasons, that's 100 chicks in a lifetime. To sustain the population requires probably somewhere between 3 or 4 of those 100 or so chicks to become adults. So unless you want the world to slowly fill up with Mallards, then you need a bit of predation to regulate numbers of prey species.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 8:34]
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 08:50 - May 15 with 2579 viewsgordon

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 06:15 - May 15 by BackToRussia

It's funny how song birds did fine before industrialised agriculture came along isn't it? And how crows and songbirds have always coexisted and their numbers were both healthy before the advent of industrialised agriculture.

Again, I find this funny. Do you?

There is a genuine problem driving the declines of Lapwing, for example, which is that the amount of food available in our heavily modifed landscapes for corvids and foxes (introduced rabbits and brown hares, and massive numbers of released pheasants and partridges) artificially boosts populations of these meso-predators to levels at which predation of Lapwing nests is at very high levels which is causing severe declines and regionalised extinctions.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 8:51]
Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 09:05 - May 15 with 2572 viewsHerbivore

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 08:50 - May 15 by gordon

There is a genuine problem driving the declines of Lapwing, for example, which is that the amount of food available in our heavily modifed landscapes for corvids and foxes (introduced rabbits and brown hares, and massive numbers of released pheasants and partridges) artificially boosts populations of these meso-predators to levels at which predation of Lapwing nests is at very high levels which is causing severe declines and regionalised extinctions.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 8:51]

I've seen lapwings, it's fine.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 09:09 - May 15 with 2568 viewsGeoffSentence

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 09:05 - May 15 by Herbivore

I've seen lapwings, it's fine.

As I boy the fields round my way used to be full of flocks of them, now I just see a few here and there.

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 09:29 - May 15 with 2551 viewsHerbivore

Real big men with guns yet again act like melts on 09:09 - May 15 by GeoffSentence

As I boy the fields round my way used to be full of flocks of them, now I just see a few here and there.

So it's not fine? Now I don't know what to think. If only there were people monitoring the bigger picture.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024