Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final 10:46 - May 17 with 1481 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Sorry if already posted. Great interview.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 11:08 - May 17 with 1457 viewsfarkenhell

I hadn't seen that - many thanks for posting. My memories of that and the following day are just as vivid today.

To any youngsters unfortunate enough to have been born after this time, the FA Cup Final was the pinnacle of every season. It was the only club game played at Wembley (the semi-finals were held at a neutral ground) and many top class players, including England Internationals, were not lucky enough to play there for their club side throughout their careers. Every team put out its strongest side, even in the early rounds. For supporters, it was the only club game that was broadcast live on TV (apart from the very rare occasion that an English Club reached the final of the European Cup, which I think happened only twice in the seventies) - and it was live on both BBC and ITV. Everyone would watch the build up, which started about 9am and I remember being glued to the TV for hours. Unfortunately, today's finals are very pale in comparison.

TWTD...
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 11:50 - May 17 with 1401 viewsPJH

Thanks for posting, I had not seen that before.

A truly wonderful day.
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 12:28 - May 17 with 1361 viewsPJH

Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 11:08 - May 17 by farkenhell

I hadn't seen that - many thanks for posting. My memories of that and the following day are just as vivid today.

To any youngsters unfortunate enough to have been born after this time, the FA Cup Final was the pinnacle of every season. It was the only club game played at Wembley (the semi-finals were held at a neutral ground) and many top class players, including England Internationals, were not lucky enough to play there for their club side throughout their careers. Every team put out its strongest side, even in the early rounds. For supporters, it was the only club game that was broadcast live on TV (apart from the very rare occasion that an English Club reached the final of the European Cup, which I think happened only twice in the seventies) - and it was live on both BBC and ITV. Everyone would watch the build up, which started about 9am and I remember being glued to the TV for hours. Unfortunately, today's finals are very pale in comparison.

TWTD...

That sums up what "getting to Wembley" meant back then.

Winning the semi final at Highbury was wonderful because potentially for the fans and for some of the players we were heading for what could be a once in a lifetime experience.
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 12:47 - May 17 with 1330 viewsbilllm

True blue, brilliant thank you
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 14:13 - May 17 with 1261 viewsfarkenhell

Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 12:28 - May 17 by PJH

That sums up what "getting to Wembley" meant back then.

Winning the semi final at Highbury was wonderful because potentially for the fans and for some of the players we were heading for what could be a once in a lifetime experience.

Ah the semi-final! Johnny Wark's goal towards the end (making it 3-1) - cue a spontaneous eruption of que sera sera, which seemed to last about an hour after the final whistle. I can remember Mariner going absolutely mental after the final whistle, jumping up & down and screaming "magic". Banishing the heartache from 3 years before, and that c*nt, Clive Thomas. In many ways it was cathartic that he had the '78 semi-final as well.
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 14:24 - May 17 with 1250 viewsSE1blue

Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 11:08 - May 17 by farkenhell

TWTD...

I can remember watching FA Cup build ups from breakfast onwards.

On BBC1 Grandstand used to invite viewers to ring in and request their favourite FA Cup goal. It was an expensive number beginning in 08 something something if I remember rightly and my mum was really reluctant to let me call. So I whined a lot and eventually one year got my way.

I was only nine (1982) and I rang to ask for our FA Cup winning goal. I tried for about half an hour getting an engaged tone, then I finally got through. I asked the guy answering for the Ipswich winner in 1978 and he replied with "P*** off son! I'm an Arsenal fan" and he hung up on me.

It was the first time I'd ever been sworn at and I came off the phone crying. My mum never let me call again but wrote to the BBC...still awaiting their reply.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 16:00 - May 17 with 1193 viewsfarkenhell

Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 14:24 - May 17 by SE1blue

I can remember watching FA Cup build ups from breakfast onwards.

On BBC1 Grandstand used to invite viewers to ring in and request their favourite FA Cup goal. It was an expensive number beginning in 08 something something if I remember rightly and my mum was really reluctant to let me call. So I whined a lot and eventually one year got my way.

I was only nine (1982) and I rang to ask for our FA Cup winning goal. I tried for about half an hour getting an engaged tone, then I finally got through. I asked the guy answering for the Ipswich winner in 1978 and he replied with "P*** off son! I'm an Arsenal fan" and he hung up on me.

It was the first time I'd ever been sworn at and I came off the phone crying. My mum never let me call again but wrote to the BBC...still awaiting their reply.

Console yourself - the Arsenal fan was probably still hurt and embarrassed about being on the receiving end of the most one-sided final in living memory, even 4 years after the event.

I was also a kid at the time and I watched the match with an avid Arsenal supporting mate, a couple of years older than me. We still see each other occasionally, and when we do, he invariably brings up the final. Still a painful memory for him, more than 40 years after the event!

He also reminds me of Brian Moore prattling on about "the friendly final" as we did a lap of honour at the end, with the Arsenal fans singing "who the f*cking hell are you". The loudest they were all game, from what I remember.
Paul Mariner talking about the 1978 cup final on 19:08 - May 17 with 1098 viewsronnyd

Oh, great memories. My mate was getting really nervous near the end of the game as we were all jumping up and down and Wembley itself was really bouncing. I reckon he thought that the poor old terracing was going to collapse. Couldn,t speak for three days, hoarse as hell.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024