Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hold up or flick on? 08:07 - Nov 6 with 1011 viewsSaleAway

Something that stood out for me last night - was that Norwood seemed intent on trying to take balls down on his chest every time they were played up to him - but at the same time, Jackson was running off him looking for a flick-on. Seemed a bit weird, like they were operating on completely different agendas. Given that almost invariably, the hold up from Norwood failed, can;'t help but think that a few flick ons might have given Jackson more chance to use his pace,

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Hold up or flick on? on 08:18 - Nov 6 with 956 viewsportmanking

That's actually one of the most striking/alarming things for me too.

All the talk in the press and by Lambert has been about what great chemistry there is between Norwood and Jackson. For the vast majority of games it has felt like the polar opposite to me, they look like they are completely unsuited. Both seem to lack a genuine footballing brain too which is concerning as they all too often fail to retain possession and take the heat off our defence.

Still, TOTL and all that jazz!
Hold up or flick on? on 08:53 - Nov 6 with 897 viewsSaleAway

Hold up or flick on? on 08:18 - Nov 6 by portmanking

That's actually one of the most striking/alarming things for me too.

All the talk in the press and by Lambert has been about what great chemistry there is between Norwood and Jackson. For the vast majority of games it has felt like the polar opposite to me, they look like they are completely unsuited. Both seem to lack a genuine footballing brain too which is concerning as they all too often fail to retain possession and take the heat off our defence.

Still, TOTL and all that jazz!

Think a lot of it feeds in with the whole patterns of play thing that's been mentioned a few times... we knock it around the backline, but we don't seem to have a clear plan of how we are planning to open sides up. Really noticed last night with 'dale that when they knocked the ball up to the front men, they won most of the 2nd balls... we need to do that, and then look to have people running on....

Alternatively, we need to find a way to play through the middle. As has been the case whenever I've watched town over probably the last 10 years, we really miss a quality, forward thinking centre mid ( that might be Downes when he's back, but I've not been able to see him this season).... always feel that theres a black hole in the middle of the park - we have to play round ( or over!!!)

Hold up or flick on? on 08:59 - Nov 6 with 874 viewsportmanking

Hold up or flick on? on 08:53 - Nov 6 by SaleAway

Think a lot of it feeds in with the whole patterns of play thing that's been mentioned a few times... we knock it around the backline, but we don't seem to have a clear plan of how we are planning to open sides up. Really noticed last night with 'dale that when they knocked the ball up to the front men, they won most of the 2nd balls... we need to do that, and then look to have people running on....

Alternatively, we need to find a way to play through the middle. As has been the case whenever I've watched town over probably the last 10 years, we really miss a quality, forward thinking centre mid ( that might be Downes when he's back, but I've not been able to see him this season).... always feel that theres a black hole in the middle of the park - we have to play round ( or over!!!)

The second ball issue is glaringly obvious and has been all season. Our midfield are all too often far too deep, leaving our strikers isolated and the opposition free to pick up loose balls and put more pressure on our backline.

We haven't quite got the right balance in midfield. I must say I'm bitterly frustrated that Judge hasn't been tried more in the hole behind the front two, he ran the show for the last 25-30 mins at Burton in that role on the opening day. He would be ideal for picking up second balls and keeping us on the front foot in the opposition half.
Hold up or flick on? on 09:03 - Nov 6 with 862 viewsWickets

Hold up or flick on? on 08:53 - Nov 6 by SaleAway

You have not been able to see Downes this season , so i presume you have missed a lot of games as Flynn has not missed many .Much of our play last night was disjointed but we came away with a win and a good second half performance .The striking parnership of Norwood and Jackson is still early days and on many time this season has looked a real threat producing goals .
Hold up or flick on? on 09:07 - Nov 6 with 855 viewsSaleAway

Hold up or flick on? on 09:03 - Nov 6 by Wickets

You have not been able to see Downes this season , so i presume you have missed a lot of games as Flynn has not missed many .Much of our play last night was disjointed but we came away with a win and a good second half performance .The striking parnership of Norwood and Jackson is still early days and on many time this season has looked a real threat producing goals .

Yeah, that was my first game of the season - apart from the Accrington mess. Stuck in the north west, I've not been able to get to as much as I'd like.... so yeah, that's why I included the caveat of not having see Flynn play.

I thought we controlled the game well in the 2nd half yesterday, without creating many chances - and that's where the comments lie - don't think we know how we're trying to create. That said we were pretty comfortable - and like you say, NOrwood and Jackson have been providing threat this season, but they didn't look on the same wavelength last night.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024