Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'young' vote 10:29 - Dec 12 with 4375 viewsFixed_It

Our school (secondary) held our election yesterday, based on the local candidates from our constituency (a Tory marginal seat btw). Without any influence from 'leftie' teachers (!), the results were as follows:

Labour 50%
Conservative 28%
Greens 17%
Lib Dems 5%

If only the country as a whole voted like this; the youngsters whose future depends on us getting it right!

Just thought it might be of some interest

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The 'young' vote on 13:13 - Dec 12 with 872 viewsartsbossbeard

The 'young' vote on 10:50 - Dec 12 by baxterbasics

Take a step back and compare standards of living today compared with 30, 50+ years ago.

Despite the odd minor wobble, we have never been so secure, stable, prosperous and healthy, and this gets taken for granted.

Crivens!

I'll pop down the local food bank and tell them that they might as well close up as we've never been so prosperous.

Crivens!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The 'young' vote on 13:36 - Dec 12 with 835 viewsjaykay

The 'young' vote on 10:32 - Dec 12 by baxterbasics

Well that's what comes of having no real world experience, having nothing to lose, and not appreciating what sacrifices have been made for the comfortable lives they all live today. Also being constantly told how bad their future is going to be rather than being encouraged to aspire.

what do you mean they haven't learnt to hate the e.u. and all things foreign and i'm all right jack

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The 'young' vote on 13:42 - Dec 12 with 830 viewsr2d2

They have been force fed so much nonsense lm not surprised how they voted. They will think differently as they progress through the real school of life.
The 'young' vote on 13:43 - Dec 12 with 819 viewsartsbossbeard

The 'young' vote on 13:42 - Dec 12 by r2d2

They have been force fed so much nonsense lm not surprised how they voted. They will think differently as they progress through the real school of life.

I haven't.

Why should they?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The 'young' vote on 13:43 - Dec 12 with 819 viewsDanTheMan

A few minutes ago, you were saying Jeremy Corbyn was too old. Now these people are too young?

Is it only people middle aged people that are allowed to vote and be involved in politics?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The 'young' vote on 13:48 - Dec 12 with 801 viewsr2d2

The 'young' vote on 13:43 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

A few minutes ago, you were saying Jeremy Corbyn was too old. Now these people are too young?

Is it only people middle aged people that are allowed to vote and be involved in politics?

Corbyn is too old. And youngsters are fed glamorous ideas at school now. They are told they can all be stars etc.... When reality hits and they have to work for a living peoples values change. The real schooling starts when they get out in the big world.
The 'young' vote on 13:50 - Dec 12 with 792 viewsDanTheMan

The 'young' vote on 13:48 - Dec 12 by r2d2

Corbyn is too old. And youngsters are fed glamorous ideas at school now. They are told they can all be stars etc.... When reality hits and they have to work for a living peoples values change. The real schooling starts when they get out in the big world.

"They are told they can all be stars etc.... When reality hits and they have to work for a living peoples values change"

Lol what?

I'm not going to argue that leaving home isn't a good experience for people, and that life experience is not important, but the idea that young people are all too stupid to understand politics is just simple ageism. I have no idea where you've got the idea that that's what you're taught in school.

The 'young' vote on 13:51 - Dec 12 with 787 viewsBackToRussia

The 'young' vote on 13:48 - Dec 12 by r2d2

STFU you stupid robot midget

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Login to get fewer ads

The 'young' vote on 13:55 - Dec 12 with 775 viewsusm

You think they're not influenced by their teachers??? Seriously?
And only 17% voted Green, should be much higher.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

The 'young' vote on 13:56 - Dec 12 with 772 viewsusm

The 'young' vote on 10:50 - Dec 12 by baxterbasics

Take a step back and compare standards of living today compared with 30, 50+ years ago.

Despite the odd minor wobble, we have never been so secure, stable, prosperous and healthy, and this gets taken for granted.

You are right of course, but they'll never accept it, certainly not today.

FOYSC

The 'young' vote on 14:00 - Dec 12 with 756 viewsr2d2

The 'young' vote on 13:50 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

"They are told they can all be stars etc.... When reality hits and they have to work for a living peoples values change"

Lol what?

I'm not going to argue that leaving home isn't a good experience for people, and that life experience is not important, but the idea that young people are all too stupid to understand politics is just simple ageism. I have no idea where you've got the idea that that's what you're taught in school.

They are told they can be anything they want. Reality is, someone has to sweep the streets, someone has to work in shops. Most want to go to uni, but you have to have lndians as well as chiefs. Where l work most come in and dont want to know. I worry where they will end up as they just arnt interested in hard graft. They come in saying things like, lm a singer song writer, lm an artist, lm a musician. Yeah, right. Heads in the cloud.
The 'young' vote on 14:00 - Dec 12 with 755 viewsDanTheMan

The 'young' vote on 13:55 - Dec 12 by usm

You think they're not influenced by their teachers??? Seriously?
And only 17% voted Green, should be much higher.

Does anybody here actually remember school?

You don't go into a Maths lesson and get caught why you should vote Labour. Where does this idea come from?

The 'young' vote on 14:06 - Dec 12 with 747 viewsusm

The 'young' vote on 14:00 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

You don't go into a Maths lesson and get caught why you should vote Labour. Where does this idea come from?

Children are hugely influenced by their teachers - and their parents, amongst others - of course they are.

Not saying teachers preach politics at them, but they certainly influence their thinking.

FOYSC

The 'young' vote on 14:06 - Dec 12 with 743 viewsHerbivore

The 'young' vote on 14:00 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

Idiots. It comes from idiots.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The 'young' vote on 14:07 - Dec 12 with 739 viewsHerbivore

Based on your posting, I think the real school of life would be in special measures.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The 'young' vote on 14:08 - Dec 12 with 739 viewsDanTheMan

The 'young' vote on 14:06 - Dec 12 by usm

Children are hugely influenced by their teachers - and their parents, amongst others - of course they are.

Not saying teachers preach politics at them, but they certainly influence their thinking.

Alright, how? Looking for specifics here.

Maybe I had an entirely strange experience of school but political positions did not come up outside of maybe History.

Parents are for sure an influence, but I really don't get this teacher argument.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 14:08]

The 'young' vote on 14:13 - Dec 12 with 723 viewsusm

The 'young' vote on 14:08 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

Alright, how? Looking for specifics here.

Maybe I had an entirely strange experience of school but political positions did not come up outside of maybe History.

Parents are for sure an influence, but I really don't get this teacher argument.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 14:08]

When theres a GE looming or a Referendum, this must get discussed to some extent in school - it'd be utterly bizarre and wrong if it wasnt.

And just look at this forum to see how opinions get shoved about - whether you want them or not - at GE time. In any discussion forum, whatever it may be, opinions get given.

FOYSC

The 'young' vote on 14:26 - Dec 12 with 708 viewsDanTheMan

The 'young' vote on 14:13 - Dec 12 by usm

When theres a GE looming or a Referendum, this must get discussed to some extent in school - it'd be utterly bizarre and wrong if it wasnt.

And just look at this forum to see how opinions get shoved about - whether you want them or not - at GE time. In any discussion forum, whatever it may be, opinions get given.

I was at school around GE time when I was old enough to remember, and I cannot recall teachers discussing it in the presence of pupils. The only time I remember it being talked about was at a conceptual level in was in History when talking different voting reform acts and how we ended up with the current voting system.

It gets shoved about on here because adults generally want to talk about it. Same with other discussion forums. But I cannot recall any time when teachers were sneakily influencing children with their own views on politics. The idea they do I've always found bizarre.

The 'young' vote on 14:27 - Dec 12 with 700 viewsDyland

The 'young' vote on 13:56 - Dec 12 by usm

You are right of course, but they'll never accept it, certainly not today.

suysffc

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The 'young' vote on 14:29 - Dec 12 with 689 viewsDyland

The 'young' vote on 14:00 - Dec 12 by r2d2

They are told they can be anything they want. Reality is, someone has to sweep the streets, someone has to work in shops. Most want to go to uni, but you have to have lndians as well as chiefs. Where l work most come in and dont want to know. I worry where they will end up as they just arnt interested in hard graft. They come in saying things like, lm a singer song writer, lm an artist, lm a musician. Yeah, right. Heads in the cloud.

Oi. l AM a singer song writer. Just happen to have a job as well innit. Er.

The 'young' vote on 14:41 - Dec 12 with 675 viewsusm

The 'young' vote on 14:27 - Dec 12 by Dyland

suysffc

:)

FY, W

FOYSC

The 'young' vote on 14:42 - Dec 12 with 671 viewsDyland

The 'young' vote on 14:41 - Dec 12 by usm

FY, W

yr, fy

p

The 'young' vote on 14:49 - Dec 12 with 653 viewslongtimefan

The 'young' vote on 14:26 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

I was at school around GE time when I was old enough to remember, and I cannot recall teachers discussing it in the presence of pupils. The only time I remember it being talked about was at a conceptual level in was in History when talking different voting reform acts and how we ended up with the current voting system.

It gets shoved about on here because adults generally want to talk about it. Same with other discussion forums. But I cannot recall any time when teachers were sneakily influencing children with their own views on politics. The idea they do I've always found bizarre.

At my secondary school in the 70s there were a number of politically active teachers (mainly English and History teachers as I recall) and you were left in no doubt as to their politics!
The 'young' vote on 14:50 - Dec 12 with 651 viewsDanTheMan

The 'young' vote on 14:49 - Dec 12 by longtimefan

At my secondary school in the 70s there were a number of politically active teachers (mainly English and History teachers as I recall) and you were left in no doubt as to their politics!

That was nearly 50 years ago...

The 'young' vote on 14:51 - Dec 12 with 644 viewslongtimefan

The 'young' vote on 14:50 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

That was nearly 50 years ago...

and... they still do the same job don't they? My children have also informed me of various teachers political leanings at their schools and they've only left in the last 5 years.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 14:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024