Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown advice..... 19:15 - Mar 19 with 4305 viewsallezlesbleus

Living in France, we are only allowed out to do the essentials, food shopping etc.

I am sure that the UK will be on a similar lockdown in a weeks time at the latest. My advice would be:

1) Stock up on materials to do DIY at home and in the garden. We were told at 8pm on Monday and all the builders merchants / DIY shops were closed on Tuesday. If the lockdown happens, you will be confined for an absolute minimum of 2 weeks, but probably 4 weeks, with the potential to go on for at least 3 months. You will need something to do (if you can't work from home) and this is the perfect time to do those little chores that you have been putting off for months / years.

2) Don't panic buy. The shops here have had more or less everything.....occasionally the odd item might not be available. According to news report, supplies haven't been a problem in Italy either.

Lockdown advice..... on 18:53 - Mar 20 with 364 viewsallezlesbleus

Lockdown advice..... on 18:36 - Mar 20 by solemio

Sorry if I've missed this, but clearly young children can't go out on their own. How is this dealt with?

Good point that...….my kids are late teens, so I hadn't thought about that. I assume one child up to a certain age is allowed to go out with one parent. Which would make it difficult for 1 parent families, with more than 1 child. Also a problem if that parent wants to go to the shops, because it strictly says only 1 person in the car at a time.
Lockdown advice..... on 19:06 - Mar 20 with 363 viewsElephantintheRoom

Lockdown advice..... on 19:31 - Mar 19 by hype313

From what I've seen of friends currently in France, you have to fill in a form even for walking the dog, so it's pretty stringent.

You have to factor in the chronic under resourcing of the UK. There are no police, there are very few soldiers. It will be impossible to enforce a lockdown here. And nothing we have seen so far suggests that 'the Brexit Spirit' will be anything other than counter-productive.

If BJ copies the French approach and we have to print a form to walk the dog.... well here in Safforn Walden the nearest police are 30 miles away in Braintree.

It's not just hosptials that are facing armageddon due to ruinous cutbacks.... it is our entire society.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024