Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A view from Spain 12:08 - Mar 24 with 1159 viewsBarcaBlue

We've been in "lockdown" for just over a week now and schools have been completely closed for 10 days. It seems the restrictions here are much stricter but thought I'd share a few thoughts anyway.

After the initial government anouncement the restrictions have been clarified and also tightened up. For example MOTs have been cancelled, hairdressers closed and more stuff like that for clarification. We were allowed to take the dog out but now that has been restricted to within 100 metres from home. There are no provisions for exercise or going out for essentials with household members (unless they are children or don't have a driving license).

I just read that 60 people were arrested yesterday and 6000 potentialy fined for non-compliance of rules. I haven't been stopped when going to the supermarket but family members have.

My main reason for posting is that I assume the announcement last night was first and foremost to get the message out whilst the finer details will be made clear over the next couple of days, with the likelihood of a tightening up of the measures.

I think the govt could have done more here with the experiences from Spain, Italy, France etc and reduced a lot of confusion and misinterpretation. Italy and to a lesser extent Spain had nothing to go on and were competely caught out, hence the figures we're seeing today.

Hopefully the govt will be providing more concise information over the next couple of days and I wouldn't be surprised to see restrctions tiightened up as people inevitably stretch the rules.
A view from Spain on 12:12 - Mar 24 with 1094 viewsFixed_It

Cheers. My daughter is in Madrid and seems to be coping with it all.
I think the issue we will have here is the lack of police to enforce it if people are irresponsible and ignore the imposed restrictions. I wouldn't be surprisedto see the army drafted in to assist at some point.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

A view from Spain on 12:34 - Mar 24 with 1016 viewsSarge

Thanks, I didn’t know it was possible to become even more depressed but there we have it
A view from Spain on 12:44 - Mar 24 with 966 viewsartsbossbeard

My mate who I stayed with in Brisbane last year set up a European office in Barcelona and moved there with his wife & three young kids recently.

All have now been called back to Oz and he's currently on a non-stopper from London to Darwin but with no connecting flight back to Brisbane once he lands and issues with state to state journeys to deal with.

Everyone on the plane are wearing face masks, which makes the obligatory long distance travel bottom burps a little bit more palatable..

He was quite miffed that the Spanish government, in his opinion, weren't quick to react after seeing what was happening in Italy and felt that once cases started happening in Madrid, the lockdown should've started asap to follow.

If anyone wants a central Barcelona apartment for the next 3-6 months at a decent price rent then let me know, I'll put you in contact..
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 12:45]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

A view from Spain on 12:57 - Mar 24 with 900 viewsBarcaBlue

A view from Spain on 12:44 - Mar 24 by artsbossbeard

My mate who I stayed with in Brisbane last year set up a European office in Barcelona and moved there with his wife & three young kids recently.

All have now been called back to Oz and he's currently on a non-stopper from London to Darwin but with no connecting flight back to Brisbane once he lands and issues with state to state journeys to deal with.

Everyone on the plane are wearing face masks, which makes the obligatory long distance travel bottom burps a little bit more palatable..

He was quite miffed that the Spanish government, in his opinion, weren't quick to react after seeing what was happening in Italy and felt that once cases started happening in Madrid, the lockdown should've started asap to follow.

If anyone wants a central Barcelona apartment for the next 3-6 months at a decent price rent then let me know, I'll put you in contact..
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 12:45]

I agree, the state of emergency here should have been eariler and Madrid put into complete confinement. Igualada a town 30km from here was completely closed down with noone going in or coming out after a serious outbreak last week - just 2 new cases were reported there yesterday but the hospital is still completely overwhelmed. I know everyone says "we're not China" but in hindsight a lot more could have been done and we're paying the consequences for a lot longer than we could be.
A view from Spain on 13:38 - Mar 24 with 825 viewsRadlett_blue

I think a lot will depend on whether a meaningful minority continue to flout the guidelines. The parks in London this weekend could be a big test.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024