Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Prine. RIP 19:29 - Apr 8 with 2701 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Aged 73, of coronavirus but with underlying health problems.

Admired by many including Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

John Prine. RIP on 19:31 - Apr 8 with 2692 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Yes a fantastic songwriter. RIP
John Prine. RIP on 19:41 - Apr 8 with 2662 viewsTangledupin_Blue

John Prine. RIP on 19:31 - Apr 8 by SouthBucksBlue

Yes a fantastic songwriter. RIP

Indeed. I bought his first album when it came out in the early seventies. Excellent stuff - still listen to it.

John Prine. RIP on 20:14 - Apr 8 with 2618 viewsSpruceMoose

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

John Prine. RIP on 21:06 - Apr 8 with 2572 viewsBlueBadger

Well, this is the icing on the cake of the day.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

John Prine. RIP on 21:14 - Apr 8 with 2573 viewsWeWereZombies

One I knew first through the Nanci Griffith cover, sometimes you can judge the greatness of a songwriter by the quality of those who sing their songs.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

John Prine. RIP on 22:14 - Apr 8 with 2536 viewsbobwya

Just spent a couple of hours listening to his music .Always liked his songs . One of the greatest songwriters.

RIP
John Prine. RIP on 11:02 - Apr 9 with 2440 viewsWeWereZombies

Following on from the previous post of this song YouTube have kindly suggested a duet between John Prine and Nanci Griffith, nice to know that they and Google pay attention to TWTD (I I have even had a suggestion of an Asha Bosle track, I guess because I watched a Comedy Short off the iPlayer in which Meera Syall mentioned 'Dum Maro Dum', we are so well looked after these days).

[edit] Slightly jealous of the adoring way that Nanci looks at John Prine a minute or so in, but his singing does seem to go from strength to strength after that. Great songwriters do not only have skill with words and observation, they have frailty and vulnerability too. Which helps us empathise with what they write and sing about.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 11:21]

John Prine. RIP on 15:06 - Apr 11 with 2362 viewsWeWereZombies

Here's another gem

Login to get fewer ads

John Prine. RIP on 18:31 - Apr 11 with 2306 viewsTangledupin_Blue

John Prine. RIP on 15:06 - Apr 11 by WeWereZombies

Here's another gem

Don't know whether you are familiar with Steve Goodman. He and John Prine were fellow Illinoisans, often played together and exchanged songs.

Goodman developed leukaemia and, for a while, called himself "Cool Hand Leuk". He died of the disease in his mid-thirties.

Here is one they wrote together...

John Prine. RIP on 21:21 - Apr 11 with 2271 viewsWeWereZombies

John Prine. RIP on 18:31 - Apr 11 by Tangledupin_Blue

Don't know whether you are familiar with Steve Goodman. He and John Prine were fellow Illinoisans, often played together and exchanged songs.

Goodman developed leukaemia and, for a while, called himself "Cool Hand Leuk". He died of the disease in his mid-thirties.

Here is one they wrote together...

I've been vaguely aware of Steve Goodman but my gadfly musical tastes took in Joni Mitchell, Roy Harper and a few other singer songwriters before I was off again into Celtic rock, desert blues, post punk conceptualists or whatever else distracted me. Wish I had locked onto him now, and wish I had devoted more time to listening to John Prine - not least so that I was more familiar with the material when I saw him at Cambridge Folk Festival a couple of years ago (with one heck of a talented band). That first song that they wrote together sounds like the sort of gripe that is talked at The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville (OK, I've been there once) but delivered far more deftly.

I'm going to tear myself away from the TWTD forum in a bit and devote an hour and a half to the 'Arena' documentary on Loretta Lynn that the BBC iPlayer has released for a month, I will try and think of it as going out to a gig on a Saturday night.

John Prine. RIP on 22:30 - Apr 11 with 2242 viewsBugs

John Prine. RIP on 10:32 - Apr 14 with 2178 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one, for us oldies...

John Prine. RIP on 13:19 - Apr 25 with 2101 viewsWeWereZombies

The BBC's obituary programme 'Last Word' belatedly got around to including John Prine this week, but 'Whispering' Bob Harris does know his stuff and gave a good account of this much missed (already) songwriter, it is the final item on the programme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hhtj

John Prine. RIP on 14:29 - Apr 25 with 2059 viewsTangledupin_Blue

John Prine. RIP on 13:19 - Apr 25 by WeWereZombies

The BBC's obituary programme 'Last Word' belatedly got around to including John Prine this week, but 'Whispering' Bob Harris does know his stuff and gave a good account of this much missed (already) songwriter, it is the final item on the programme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hhtj

Yes, I caught the programme yesterday.

It was when Whispering Bob was presenter of Old Grey Whistle Test that I first heard of JP and bought his (then new) album.

Thinking of that brings to mind another artist from those years whom I first heard on OGWT and I still listen to - Judee Sill. Sadly, she died at an even younger age than Steve Goodman...

[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 14:31]

John Prine. RIP on 09:32 - Apr 26 with 1948 viewsWeWereZombies

John Prine. RIP on 14:29 - Apr 25 by Tangledupin_Blue

Yes, I caught the programme yesterday.

It was when Whispering Bob was presenter of Old Grey Whistle Test that I first heard of JP and bought his (then new) album.

Thinking of that brings to mind another artist from those years whom I first heard on OGWT and I still listen to - Judee Sill. Sadly, she died at an even younger age than Steve Goodman...

[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 14:31]

I am sure I heard a single Judee Sill track back in the early Seventies and I thought it would have been on one of those two LP CBS samplers but, as she was signed to Asylum, that was not the case. Hearing those two tracks now and with a more mature ear I can hear her talent. The Bob Harris (OGWT presenter, not husband) comments are interesting when you read her Wikipedia page afterwards - I know a woman who has had similar experiences and it makes you want to find the man or men who set her on the course to destruction and throttle them; except that would be continuing the cycle of violence.

Judee Sill's tragic end due to addiction reminds me of someone else I have been meaning to listen again to - Tim Hardin. Here is one of his, understated, original versions and a, predictably not at all understated, surprisingly good cover version.

[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 9:35]

John Prine. RIP on 07:12 - May 1 with 1877 viewsWeWereZombies

Not sure if I am being lured into the Google / Facebook way of swamping you with palliatives to distract you from what is happening in the real world but I had this curious item suggested to me this morning:

It is sort of apposite though because my first exposure to John Prine's songs was 'Sam Stone' on a sampler called 'The New Age of Atlantic' which opened with Led Zeppelin's 'Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024