Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
plumbing advice (non biological) 10:12 - Jun 19 with 592 viewsKTBlue

Installed a new washing machine the other day, which remarkably went almost to plan. In the midst of my labours I had to change the u bend under the sink. Bought a new one, fitted it, but its leaking. Quick google search seems to show it may just need to be re fitted to make sure it isnt over tightened or mis threaded, but could I be missing anything, need to be aware of anything (apart from my own incompetitence of course)?

cheers in advance.
plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:14 - Jun 19 with 576 viewssparks

Have you used that sealant tape stuff on the thread first?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:20 - Jun 19 with 555 viewsKTBlue

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:14 - Jun 19 by sparks

Have you used that sealant tape stuff on the thread first?

no, you put that on the outside? Would that hold a proper leak though? Its not gushing, but dripping. Thought as it was brand new I wouldnt need somethinglike that (unlike all my other DIY endeavours).
plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:25 - Jun 19 with 552 viewssparks

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:20 - Jun 19 by KTBlue

no, you put that on the outside? Would that hold a proper leak though? Its not gushing, but dripping. Thought as it was brand new I wouldnt need somethinglike that (unlike all my other DIY endeavours).

I am no expert but there is white plumbers tape that you put on the thread before screwing it tight, to ensure a seal. PTFE tape I think it is called. Though I think I have read somewhere that it ought not to be necessary on well fitted plastic...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:32 - Jun 19 with 542 viewsKTBlue

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:25 - Jun 19 by sparks

I am no expert but there is white plumbers tape that you put on the thread before screwing it tight, to ensure a seal. PTFE tape I think it is called. Though I think I have read somewhere that it ought not to be necessary on well fitted plastic...

thanks. Will refit, and then use that as an extra line of defence. A bit like a sweeper, ignoring the fact they have been largely counterproductive since the early 80's.
plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:40 - Jun 19 with 525 viewsLeaky

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:32 - Jun 19 by KTBlue

thanks. Will refit, and then use that as an extra line of defence. A bit like a sweeper, ignoring the fact they have been largely counterproductive since the early 80's.

You shouldn't need ptfe (white) tape just check the sealing o rings are not distorted. Or if you bought it from screwfix its made by McAlpine not Floplast.
plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:43 - Jun 19 with 518 viewsKTBlue

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:40 - Jun 19 by Leaky

You shouldn't need ptfe (white) tape just check the sealing o rings are not distorted. Or if you bought it from screwfix its made by McAlpine not Floplast.

ignoring your username... when you say distorted, you mean by the screwing? (which is a phrase I never thought Id type
plumbing advice (non biological) on 11:18 - Jun 19 with 473 viewsLeaky

plumbing advice (non biological) on 10:43 - Jun 19 by KTBlue

ignoring your username... when you say distorted, you mean by the screwing? (which is a phrase I never thought Id type

The sealing rings can get twisted And don't seal properly
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024