Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early ITFC history 10:07 - Sep 29 with 5068 viewsitfcjoe

Sure not news to most, but interesting enough and was sent round to me this morning in a newsletter

Here is a brief history for you on how Ipswich School was instrumental in the formation of ITFC.

At the end of the 19th century, Ipswich School were playing Association Football. In 1878, George Sherrington (Old Ipswichian) aged 17, loved football but realised he would no longer be able to play the game after he left school.

So, he and other Ipswichians including brothers William (OI) and Sir Charles Sherrington (OI), Nobel prize winner and President of the Royal Society, formed the Ipswich Association Football Club. Exactly 100 years later Ipswich Town won the FA Cup at Wembley.

At the time rugby was played at Portman Road, so the club played at land on Broom Hill owned by their Sherrington family, which is why the road from there to Norwich Road is called Sherrington Road.

The club’s changing rooms were the Inkerman Public House on Norwich Road, which later became Sir Alf Ramsey’s local when he lived in Valley Road. Sir Alf’s house was but a stone throw from where Sir Charles Sherrington lived in Valley Road.

In 1888, the football and rugby clubs merged to become Ipswich Town Football Club.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Early ITFC history on 14:03 - Sep 29 with 770 viewsPhilTWTD

Early ITFC history on 13:42 - Sep 29 by PJH

Billy Baxter was doing National Service in 1960/61 and (I think) in 1961/62 and I believe had to get permission from his Commanding Officer to play football for ITFC-don't know if he had to do it match to match or if the permission covered all games.

Didn't Larry Carberry sign as a result of having been serving at Wattisham?

On a sort of related note, when my granddad was in the army he played in some trial game to get into some army team. Anyway, he was given a torrid time by the player he was marking and at the end left the field thoroughly disconsolate only for one of the other players to say to him 'Cheer up lad, don't you know who that was? That was Puddefoot!'.

Factual will probably remember him, but for the rest of us, Syd Puddefoot played for England a couple of times and Falkirk paid West Ham a then-world record transfer fee for him of £5,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Puddefoot

This post has been edited by an administrator
Early ITFC history on 14:17 - Sep 29 with 747 viewshype313

Early ITFC history on 14:03 - Sep 29 by PhilTWTD

On a sort of related note, when my granddad was in the army he played in some trial game to get into some army team. Anyway, he was given a torrid time by the player he was marking and at the end left the field thoroughly disconsolate only for one of the other players to say to him 'Cheer up lad, don't you know who that was? That was Puddefoot!'.

Factual will probably remember him, but for the rest of us, Syd Puddefoot played for England a couple of times and Falkirk paid West Ham a then-world record transfer fee for him of £5,000.

What's more bizarre about that story is that Falkirk could make a world record transfer for him from West Ham!

Also going from managing Fernabachce one season and turning up at Galatastary the next, what a story.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 14:26]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Early ITFC history on 14:47 - Sep 29 with 721 viewssolemio

Thanks folks for such an interesting and nostalgic thread.
I was amazed how long it was before someone mentioned 'The Men Who Made the Town'.
Early ITFC history on 16:04 - Sep 29 with 671 viewsWeWereZombies

Early ITFC history on 13:40 - Sep 29 by Danny_G

I’ve just found the following in ‘The Men Who Made the Town’ about the 1959 match:

‘A game between a Showbiz XI, including Sean Connery and Des O’Connor, and a Manager’s All Star XI, including former Ipswich players Tommy Parker (captain), Jackie Little and Tom Garneys, was played at Foxhall Stadium. Some 18,000 spectators (the second biggest crowd ever for a Showbiz XI match) paying around £900, which went to various charities. Referee was Ted Phillips, and Ken Malcolm and Brian Siddall were the linesmen.’

18,000 spectators paying £900, that's £16,200,000 - no wonder the Cobbolds had the funds to get us into the First Division and win it a couple of years later...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Early ITFC history on 16:41 - Sep 29 with 647 viewsPJH

Early ITFC history on 13:40 - Sep 29 by Danny_G

I’ve just found the following in ‘The Men Who Made the Town’ about the 1959 match:

‘A game between a Showbiz XI, including Sean Connery and Des O’Connor, and a Manager’s All Star XI, including former Ipswich players Tommy Parker (captain), Jackie Little and Tom Garneys, was played at Foxhall Stadium. Some 18,000 spectators (the second biggest crowd ever for a Showbiz XI match) paying around £900, which went to various charities. Referee was Ted Phillips, and Ken Malcolm and Brian Siddall were the linesmen.’

I never thought of looking in TMWMTT which is strange because I look in it for loads of other things.

I did google 'Showbiz XI Foxhall Stadium 1959' and got am image of the programme along with other things-it seems that my belief that Tommy Steele played in the game was wrong though.
Early ITFC history on 17:03 - Sep 29 with 627 viewsoldburian

Early ITFC history on 14:03 - Sep 29 by PhilTWTD

I always thought Larry Carberry was in the army in Bury. He certainly played full back for Bury Town and was spotted by Ipswich.
Early ITFC history on 17:11 - Sep 29 with 618 viewsPJH

Early ITFC history on 17:03 - Sep 29 by oldburian

I always thought Larry Carberry was in the army in Bury. He certainly played full back for Bury Town and was spotted by Ipswich.

The Who's Who Of Ipswich Town says 'King's Regiment stationed at Bury St. Edmunds'.
Early ITFC history on 17:51 - Sep 29 with 584 viewsPhilTWTD

Early ITFC history on 17:03 - Sep 29 by oldburian

I'm sure you're right, indeed I now see PJH's post confirming. I was half-remembering that he joined us having been in the forces locally but couldn't remember the precise details.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024