Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for Gillingham 09:27 - Oct 25 with 2352 viewsBluefish

Holy
Chambers Woolfenden Mcguiness Ward
Dozzell
Bishop Huws
Lankester Hawkins Bennetts

Cornell
Wilson
Kenlock
Judge
Jackson
McGavin
Dobra

Presumably Jackson is back then? Presumably McGavin can still play (youth loan?).

I was in favour of easing the CBs in one at a time but too late now. None of us know how good McGuiness is but we do know how poor the other 2 are. Time to stop messing about and go all out

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Team for Gillingham on 14:14 - Oct 25 with 633 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Team for Gillingham on 14:05 - Oct 25 by Bluefish

Without goals he is abysmal and they have dried up

And Bishops have dried up then surely? Hawkins hasn’t got one, Bennetts hasn’t got one, Lankester hasn’t got one, Judge hasn’t got one, Sears has one.

He’s one of dangerous attacking threats right now.

I understand you are blinded by a personal vendetta on this one though.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Team for Gillingham on 14:25 - Oct 25 with 624 viewsBlueBadger

Team for Gillingham on 11:54 - Oct 25 by clive_baker

I don’t really get the clamour for starting Bennetts at this stage to be honest. Has he managed to retain possession at any point? I’m not writing him off but I’m clearly not seeing in his cameos what some are, and he needs to earn a start. Dobra should have more credit in the bank to be ahead of him as that wildcard IMO.

As for McGuinness, it’s a bit ridiculous and knee jerk to suggest someone who ‘nobody knows how good he is’ should start, when Wilson hasn’t done a lot wrong. I think we’ve got a very good pair of fullbacks and yes to Woolfenden coming in for Nsiala, but Wilson should partner him. I would have confidence in that back 4 for these next 2, home games.

I would be tempted to move Lankester into the middle in place of Nolan, and bring Dobra into the wide right position. They could perhaps switch but I like the idea of a Lankester, Bishop, Dozzell trio.

Bennetts off the bench perhaps for Dobra.

So out: Toto & Nolo
In: Woolfo & Dobro
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 11:58]

Because the likely alternative is shoe-horning Judge in on the wing again?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Team for Gillingham on 14:26 - Oct 25 with 623 viewsPJH

Team for Gillingham on 14:14 - Oct 25 by TheTrueBlue1878

And Bishops have dried up then surely? Hawkins hasn’t got one, Bennetts hasn’t got one, Lankester hasn’t got one, Judge hasn’t got one, Sears has one.

Yes, I think you pointed out in another thread that we had NO attacking threat yesterday.

Edwards had one game where everything he touched turned to gold but other than that he has been mostly on the fringe of things, as wide players tend to be.

I am probably blinded by a personal vendetta too because I think that apart from very very rare occasions he looks extremely ordinary.
Team for Gillingham on 14:37 - Oct 25 with 617 viewsBlueBadger

There's no way Bennets is getting a start. He'll shoehorn Judge in on the wing again, if he's fit.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 16:36]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Team for Gillingham on 14:41 - Oct 25 with 612 viewsBluefish

They aren't abysmal at football though

Team for Gillingham on 14:52 - Oct 25 with 597 viewsclive_baker

Team for Gillingham on 14:25 - Oct 25 by BlueBadger

Because the likely alternative is shoe-horning Judge in on the wing again?

Judge is injured.

Sears, Edwards, Lankester, Dobra. I’m not sure what Bennetts has shown to put himself ahead of 3 of those 4.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Team for Gillingham on 14:56 - Oct 25 with 590 viewsEnigma_Blue

Team for Gillingham on 14:05 - Oct 25 by Bluefish

Without goals he is abysmal and they have dried up

Dried up? he has gone just 2 games without scoring. The whole teams goals have dried up as the only goal we have scored in the last 2 games was an o.g.

At the very least a player with his pace should be on the bench as an option to bring on and run at tired defenders. Even if he doesn't manage that he might just pop up in the right area & score a goal which he has a knack of doing.

I can only assume he has shagged your misses or something because you are not able to be objective regarding him. If you genuinely don't t think he is worth at least a place in the bench your opinion on team selection is worth nothing.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 15:00]
Team for Gillingham on 15:11 - Oct 25 with 568 viewsBluefish

Team for Gillingham on 14:56 - Oct 25 by Enigma_Blue

Dried up? he has gone just 2 games without scoring. The whole teams goals have dried up as the only goal we have scored in the last 2 games was an o.g.

At the very least a player with his pace should be on the bench as an option to bring on and run at tired defenders. Even if he doesn't manage that he might just pop up in the right area & score a goal which he has a knack of doing.

I can only assume he has shagged your misses or something because you are not able to be objective regarding him. If you genuinely don't t think he is worth at least a place in the bench your opinion on team selection is worth nothing.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 15:00]

He is our weakest player in ability, I feel for those incapable of seeing that

Login to get fewer ads

Team for Gillingham on 15:31 - Oct 25 with 552 viewsEnigma_Blue

Team for Gillingham on 15:11 - Oct 25 by Bluefish

He is our weakest player in ability, I feel for those incapable of seeing that

Ability with ball at feet does not equate to an ability to put the ball in the back of the net. See Alan Judge, Will Keane Jon Nolan as just a few of many examples. Give me a Shefki Kuqi over a Sixto Peralta any day of the week.

Football is about putting the ball in the opposition's goal, I feel for those who are incapable of seeing that.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 15:31]
Team for Gillingham on 15:47 - Oct 25 with 536 viewsBluefish

Team for Gillingham on 15:31 - Oct 25 by Enigma_Blue

Ability with ball at feet does not equate to an ability to put the ball in the back of the net. See Alan Judge, Will Keane Jon Nolan as just a few of many examples. Give me a Shefki Kuqi over a Sixto Peralta any day of the week.

Football is about putting the ball in the opposition's goal, I feel for those who are incapable of seeing that.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 15:31]

You didn't ever play the game did you? Don't mean to be rude about that but it would explain why you do it on stats over ability

Team for Gillingham on 16:33 - Oct 25 with 518 viewsEnigma_Blue

Team for Gillingham on 15:47 - Oct 25 by Bluefish

You didn't ever play the game did you? Don't mean to be rude about that but it would explain why you do it on stats over ability

Of course I have played, just not professionally. I have played with & against some players who had amazing close control & drbbling ability but who hardly ever found a man with a cross & couldn't hit barn door if they tried, some of them couldn't even tackle. Probably why they were never able to play at a professional level.

Let me ask you a qeustion, did John Wark have great technical ability like Muhren & thjsson?
No not even close but he was arguably our most effective midfield player ever.I

Gwion Edwards is one of the most effective wingers at LG1 level. He doesn't need great technical ability because he has great pace, is direct & is a decent finisher.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 16:38]
Team for Gillingham on 16:41 - Oct 25 with 500 viewsBluefish

Team for Gillingham on 16:33 - Oct 25 by Enigma_Blue

Of course I have played, just not professionally. I have played with & against some players who had amazing close control & drbbling ability but who hardly ever found a man with a cross & couldn't hit barn door if they tried, some of them couldn't even tackle. Probably why they were never able to play at a professional level.

Let me ask you a qeustion, did John Wark have great technical ability like Muhren & thjsson?
No not even close but he was arguably our most effective midfield player ever.I

Gwion Edwards is one of the most effective wingers at LG1 level. He doesn't need great technical ability because he has great pace, is direct & is a decent finisher.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 16:38]

Lol

Team for Gillingham on 16:47 - Oct 25 with 496 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Team for Gillingham on 14:26 - Oct 25 by PJH

Yes, I think you pointed out in another thread that we had NO attacking threat yesterday.

Edwards had one game where everything he touched turned to gold but other than that he has been mostly on the fringe of things, as wide players tend to be.

I am probably blinded by a personal vendetta too because I think that apart from very very rare occasions he looks extremely ordinary.

Could have had Cristiano Ronaldo leading the line yesterday, but if you pass the ball around the back for the whole game it’s irrelevant who’s up there. Lack of attacking threat doesn’t automatically mean it’s just the front 3’s fault by the way.

He’s a flair player, he will drift in and out of games, that’s him as a footballer, but I’d take that right now, somebody who can frustrate you but can also win you the game.

The whole team looks extremely ordinary most of the time, we are an average League 1 outfit, you expectations are possibly a bit too high.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 21:12]

Team for Gillingham on 16:47 - Oct 25 with 494 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Team for Gillingham on 14:41 - Oct 25 by Bluefish

They aren't abysmal at football though

He’s no Bluefish granted.

Team for Gillingham on 17:03 - Oct 25 with 480 viewsBluebell

Agreed!

I see that Edwards is becoming the scapegoat here. Without his 5 goals where would we be this season?

How the hell can he score when all the football is going on up the other end of the pitch? Any kick Holy took either went out of touch or back and forward from Nsaila or Ward who then passed back making Holy panic and just kick anywhere.

Hawkins isn't the answer. We played better when we had a top 3 of Edwards, Sears and Judge/Bishop.
Team for Gillingham on 19:37 - Oct 25 with 435 viewsPJH

Team for Gillingham on 16:47 - Oct 25 by TheTrueBlue1878

Could have had Cristiano Ronaldo leading the line yesterday, but if you pass the ball around the back for the whole game it’s irrelevant who’s up there. Lack of attacking threat doesn’t automatically mean it’s just the front 3’s fault by the way.

He’s a flair player, he will drift in and out of games, that’s him as a footballer, but I’d take that right now, somebody who can frustrate you but can also win you the game.

The whole team looks extremely ordinary most of the time, we are an average League 1 outfit, you expectations are possibly a bit too high.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 21:12]

My expectations, as they were also last season, are for promotion.

We should have done it last season but messed it up and there is obviously the possibility of messing it up again this season.

We have at least four players that would improve the side that played yesterday but it is going to be a few games at least before we see two of them.

Often we play like an average League 1 outfit and some of the players that played yesterday are only average League 1 players but in my opinion 'we' as a whole are better than an average League 1 outfit.
Team for Gillingham on 20:04 - Oct 25 with 426 viewsPJH

Team for Gillingham on 17:03 - Oct 25 by Bluebell

Agreed!

I see that Edwards is becoming the scapegoat here. Without his 5 goals where would we be this season?

How the hell can he score when all the football is going on up the other end of the pitch? Any kick Holy took either went out of touch or back and forward from Nsaila or Ward who then passed back making Holy panic and just kick anywhere.

Hawkins isn't the answer. We played better when we had a top 3 of Edwards, Sears and Judge/Bishop.

Without Edwards's 5 goals we would have beaten:-

Wigan 1-0
Blackpool 2-1
Rochdale 1-0
Accrington 1-0

If he had not narrowly missed from four yards or whatever yesterday we might have got at least a draw.
Team for Gillingham on 21:20 - Oct 25 with 395 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Team for Gillingham on 19:37 - Oct 25 by PJH

My expectations, as they were also last season, are for promotion.

We should have done it last season but messed it up and there is obviously the possibility of messing it up again this season.

We have at least four players that would improve the side that played yesterday but it is going to be a few games at least before we see two of them.

Often we play like an average League 1 outfit and some of the players that played yesterday are only average League 1 players but in my opinion 'we' as a whole are better than an average League 1 outfit.

Your last sentence sums it up for me, some players are good footballers, who too often perform as average League 1 footballers, especially when they are up against a better outfit.

It’s fine rolling over Accrington and Bristol, but until they can step up against decent sides, I’m not convinced we’ll be good enough for top 6, nor would we deserve to be.

Team for Gillingham on 21:36 - Oct 25 with 384 viewsPJH

Team for Gillingham on 21:20 - Oct 25 by TheTrueBlue1878

Your last sentence sums it up for me, some players are good footballers, who too often perform as average League 1 footballers, especially when they are up against a better outfit.

It’s fine rolling over Accrington and Bristol, but until they can step up against decent sides, I’m not convinced we’ll be good enough for top 6, nor would we deserve to be.

Yes, it needs to be proved by getting consistent results but in my opinion there is more than enough ability in the squad to get promotion just as there was last season.

Also in my opinion our chances are not helped by not always playing the best available players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024