Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent 10:37 - Nov 21 with 3331 viewsIllinoisblue

Just upgraded from an iPhone 7 and wow, what a difference

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent on 21:19 - Nov 21 with 405 viewsTrequartista

The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent on 20:43 - Nov 21 by tonybied

Finally, you seem to understand technological advancement!

Yes, much the same as if the pandemic had got in the 90's there would've been no such thing as phone apps or Bluetooth and there wouldn't be the remotest chance of tracking contacts via technology.

Yes that's the 90s, i'm talking about 2014. Wasn't pokemon-go a similar sort of thing, except you had to catch the bugs not avoid them? Ho ho. Well i'm very surprised by that, i thought we had all that gps and bluetooth stuff then.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent on 09:22 - Nov 22 with 352 viewstonybied

The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent on 21:19 - Nov 21 by Trequartista

Yes that's the 90s, i'm talking about 2014. Wasn't pokemon-go a similar sort of thing, except you had to catch the bugs not avoid them? Ho ho. Well i'm very surprised by that, i thought we had all that gps and bluetooth stuff then.

Pokémon go was released in 2016 and didn't require Bluetooth connection just GPS and mobile data. It was also a battery killer and if you wanted to play it for hours it would require carrying a power bank around with you.

Why do you find it difficult to believe that 6 year old tech can't do the same as new tech? Be greatful that your iPhone was supported for as long as it was instead of bitter that it's not being supported forevermore. Some Android devices are supported for around a year only before development is dropped.
The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent on 09:38 - Nov 22 with 339 viewsDanTheMan

The camera on the iPhone 12 is quite excellent on 18:56 - Nov 21 by Trequartista

So are you saying if the pandemic had struck in 2014, we wouldn't have been able to create a functioning test and trace app that wouldn't kill the battery?

They could have tried to patch the operating system with BLE, Android had it a few years prior.

These are not simple tasks, hence being rolled into major versions. Apple attempting to backfill the technology from 6 years ago may just not have been feasible.

You really need to understand how software works, they cannot just infinitely support everything. It creates massive amount of technical debt which in turn causes instability, security issues and a slow down in new features.

This is actually one of the things that burned Microsoft, for years they provided honestly fantastic support for ancient programs and operating systems. This start coming at a huge cost as it made the system increasingly buggy, combined with people never wanting to update their software (hence the reason it's now forced).

If you'd like to actually read more about the real world issues this causes, there's a great but fairly complicated blog by Raymond Chen.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20070723-00/?p=25903

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780321440303/samplechapter/Chen_bonus_ch0
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 9:44]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024