Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket - Day 2 06:54 - Jan 15 with 796 viewsbluewein

First chance I've had to see what Dan Lawrence is all about. Looks a classy player.

It's encouraging how many batsmen we have coming through now. Whether we actually give a couple more bowlers a look in is another matter but even the more pessimistic England fan must be hopeful for the long term future of the test side...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:13 - Jan 15 with 751 viewsChrisd

Lawrence has been really consistent scoring runs for Essex over the last few seasons, he’s been unlucky not to get his England chance earlier, but that has been for reasons out of his control. It’s really encouraging from an England point of few, I just worry about our spin options. I think Bess and Leach are decent spin bowlers, but not world class.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:32 - Jan 15 with 733 viewsSharkey

Lawrence's heavy scoring in the last couple of winters shows how hard it is to bat at Chelmsford, where his average ain't great.

Nasser Hussain and Mike Atherton without make-up is quite a shock.
Cricket - Day 2 on 07:48 - Jan 15 with 693 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oh for crying out loud. I turn on and Root is out.

Edit. No he isn't. Nobody on TMS seemed to know what was going on there.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 7:51]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:53 - Jan 15 with 678 viewsChrisd

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:32 - Jan 15 by Sharkey

Lawrence's heavy scoring in the last couple of winters shows how hard it is to bat at Chelmsford, where his average ain't great.

Nasser Hussain and Mike Atherton without make-up is quite a shock.

His first class average is 37, but as you say at Chelmsford that wicket offered a bit of everything to bowlers. Lawrence looks a test batsman in the making, he’s got the temperament and he’s got the technique. He just needs the opportunity of a run of games to show it.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 8:14]

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:57 - Jan 15 with 669 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:53 - Jan 15 by Chrisd

His first class average is 37, but as you say at Chelmsford that wicket offered a bit of everything to bowlers. Lawrence looks a test batsman in the making, he’s got the temperament and he’s got the technique. He just needs the opportunity of a run of games to show it.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 8:14]

It would be interesting to see how English batsmen's averages would look if they played domestically in Asia or even Australia for a few seasons. We often malign them for mid 30's averages for spending lots of time battling green tops at Chester-le-Street and the like. Of course, this would also involve some of them improving their game against spin!

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:13 - Jan 15 with 644 viewsChrisd

Cricket - Day 2 on 07:57 - Jan 15 by gainsboroughblue

It would be interesting to see how English batsmen's averages would look if they played domestically in Asia or even Australia for a few seasons. We often malign them for mid 30's averages for spending lots of time battling green tops at Chester-le-Street and the like. Of course, this would also involve some of them improving their game against spin!

From recollection when Trescothick and Vaughan were introduced to the test arena they were both averaging just over 30 in first class cricket, nothing amazing. I suppose stats can be misleading as you rightly highlight Gainsborough, that’s when selectors earn their corn and look beyond that and start focusing on a player’s mental attitude and technique knowing they can step up to a higher level and adjust.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 8:15]

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:25 - Jan 15 with 616 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:13 - Jan 15 by Chrisd

From recollection when Trescothick and Vaughan were introduced to the test arena they were both averaging just over 30 in first class cricket, nothing amazing. I suppose stats can be misleading as you rightly highlight Gainsborough, that’s when selectors earn their corn and look beyond that and start focusing on a player’s mental attitude and technique knowing they can step up to a higher level and adjust.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 8:15]

Quite right. Trescothick's final first class average of 40 odd was due in no small part to his development as a test player on all surfaces. He also had some very stellar seasons after he retired from test matches whereby he had clearly developed his game due to those experiences.

Vaughan's early test matches were a combination of England seeing something in him as a batsman but also hoping he could develop into a kind of a spinning allrounder. He batted a fair amount at 6 in those early days before having that crazy spell of 7 hundreds in 2002 and the 2002-03 Ashes.

More recently, selectors looked beyond Mark Stoneman's modest 33-34 average (attributed to playing mostly on Durham's wicket) to pick him for the test side as he had moved to the friendlier home surface at Surrey. Despite getting a few 50's, he unfortunately never looked anywhere near the quality of the two mentioned above.

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:45 - Jan 15 with 583 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:25 - Jan 15 by gainsboroughblue

Quite right. Trescothick's final first class average of 40 odd was due in no small part to his development as a test player on all surfaces. He also had some very stellar seasons after he retired from test matches whereby he had clearly developed his game due to those experiences.

Vaughan's early test matches were a combination of England seeing something in him as a batsman but also hoping he could develop into a kind of a spinning allrounder. He batted a fair amount at 6 in those early days before having that crazy spell of 7 hundreds in 2002 and the 2002-03 Ashes.

More recently, selectors looked beyond Mark Stoneman's modest 33-34 average (attributed to playing mostly on Durham's wicket) to pick him for the test side as he had moved to the friendlier home surface at Surrey. Despite getting a few 50's, he unfortunately never looked anywhere near the quality of the two mentioned above.

Interesting time for our batting line up I think.

A few years ago we didn't really seem to have much coming through but now we seem to have about 10 to fit in to 6 spots.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:59 - Jan 15 with 556 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket - Day 2 on 08:45 - Jan 15 by Reuser_is_God

Interesting time for our batting line up I think.

A few years ago we didn't really seem to have much coming through but now we seem to have about 10 to fit in to 6 spots.

Yep. It's a good headache for the selectors to have. Pope to presumably come back. Burns too but not quite as set in stone. I'm not sure I'd want to see Stokes put back down to 6 in the order though, the impetus he gives is quite something else.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on Tom Lammonby's progress this year.

Cricket - Day 2 on 09:53 - Jan 15 with 499 viewsIpswichKnight

Quite a headache for the selectors in the batting with that classy 70 from Lawrence now have to fit 5/6 from:

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Lawrence

Looking forward to seeing Stone bowl in the next test he is quick and tall. Bounced out a couple of Sri Lankan batsmen on a total road in a ODI last time England were here. A bowling attack at Perth of Joffra, Broad, Wood, Stone and Stokes would be quite quick!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024