Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams 13:55 - Jun 3 with 927 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Great analysis of Comfortably Numb. Some stuff I hadn't noticed before after listening to the song for decades.
View before it's taken down.
Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 14:40 - Jun 3 with 862 viewsSwansea_Blue

Gorgeous, gorgeous song. Up there as one of my favourites if not my overall favourite. Not that I understood half of that explanation!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 14:42 - Jun 3 with 852 viewsEwan_Oozami

Been following Rick Beato for a while and he's one of the best US YouTube musician channels - knows his stuff inside out!

His vids on Fair Use are very informative!

Worth a follow if you're a muso type..
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 14:43]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 15:06 - Jun 3 with 817 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 14:42 - Jun 3 by Ewan_Oozami

Been following Rick Beato for a while and he's one of the best US YouTube musician channels - knows his stuff inside out!

His vids on Fair Use are very informative!

Worth a follow if you're a muso type..
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 14:43]

Yeah I’ve subscribed to his channel for a few years now.
I love his enthusiasm.
Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 15:27 - Jun 3 with 788 viewsBasuco

Like SB below a lot of that was way above me, I never realised just how good the Gilmour/Waters harmonies were. Fantastic track and loved hearing it unpicked.
Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 15:56 - Jun 3 with 762 viewsfactual_blue

I think it's the way that the verses are in B minor, while the chorus is best described as using a modal interchange of that key's relative major, D major, and D Mixolydian.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 15:56]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 16:36 - Jun 3 with 731 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 15:56 - Jun 3 by factual_blue

I think it's the way that the verses are in B minor, while the chorus is best described as using a modal interchange of that key's relative major, D major, and D Mixolydian.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 15:56]

D mixolydian?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 16:54]
Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 17:21 - Jun 3 with 691 viewsfactual_blue

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 16:36 - Jun 3 by SouthBucksBlue

D mixolydian?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 16:54]

The modern Mixolydian scale is the fifth mode of the major scale (Ionian mode). That is, it can be constructed by starting on the fifth scale degree (the dominant) of the major scale. Because of this, the Mixolydian mode is sometimes called the dominant scale.

Commonly used in rock music:

Hey Jude, Sweet Home Alabama, Lay Lady Lay, Gloria, the theme from Star Trek....

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 17:36 - Jun 3 with 671 viewsEwan_Oozami

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 17:21 - Jun 3 by factual_blue

The modern Mixolydian scale is the fifth mode of the major scale (Ionian mode). That is, it can be constructed by starting on the fifth scale degree (the dominant) of the major scale. Because of this, the Mixolydian mode is sometimes called the dominant scale.

Hey Jude, Sweet Home Alabama, Lay Lady Lay, Gloria, the theme from Star Trek....

I almost thought you were a real musician for a moment there...well, Grade 5 theory at least...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 17:57 - Jun 3 with 657 viewsfactual_blue

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 17:36 - Jun 3 by Ewan_Oozami

I almost thought you were a real musician for a moment there...well, Grade 5 theory at least...

GCE O Level, dear boy. Ted Bloomfield made sure all of us who didn't want to do badly-taught Physics passed.

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 18:47 - Jun 3 with 630 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Pink Floyd fans/Musiciams on 17:21 - Jun 3 by factual_blue

Yes I know what it is but wouldn’t have thought it was a feature of the structure of the song.
I guess you could consider the “You are only coming through in waves...” bit of the chorus as switching to D mix but I hear it as switching to G major (Ionian) but of course both have the same scale tones.
Anyways, an immense song. The perfectly crafted Live 8 version at my funeral please.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024