Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On reflection then 08:33 - Jul 8 with 1959 viewsSteve_M

What a team this England side is, more than that it's a squad of talented, likeable players, more mature than in Russia three years ago and they might just win this.

As against Germany we had a bad spell, the 15 minutes before Denmark scored were quite similar to the first 10 last week - not keeping the ball, defence too deep and a good side made a lot of that space. A very good free kick but still think Pickford should have done better and I suspect he will, I thought both free kicks leading up to it were generous, the first one looked like one Danish player caught his teammate but the ref had the wrong angle and the second there was an awful lot of shirt pulling by more than just Shaw.

Regardless, we had to react to conceding for the first time all tournament which, after a couple of minutes, we did. Two very good chances deserved an equaliser and I don't think England really looked back from that. There were periods were Denmark had more possession but without the same threat as in the first half and more where England started to dominate.

The penalty was generous but so was the referee's leniency to lots of cynical fouling from Denmark. Watching the highlights again we created a good number of chances leading up to it, the pressure told. Crap kick from Kane but he made the most of it but the contrast in his performances since scoring against Germany is immense. Don't believe anyone who claims that confidence isn't important in sport.

Once we had the lead I thought we were very comfortable, the use of the ball in the second period of extra time was professional and it was almost relaxing. I was more nervous against Germany at the end I think. The final whistle was bloody great though, certainly a moment to reflect on 1990, 1996 and 2018.

And so to the final, Italy have been the best team in the tournament in my opinion even if Spain were the better side on Tuesday. They are possibly slight favourites but England have home advantage. It will be tight, might be decided by a mistake but I can't wait.

Anyway, have a montage:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On reflection then on 12:23 - Jul 8 with 197 viewsBloomBlue

On reflection then on 12:19 - Jul 8 by farkenhell

Very well said. I cannot believe anyone is being negative the day after we reached our first final for 55 years. Bloody hell!

The Aussies don't call us whinging poms for nothing
On reflection then on 12:53 - Jul 8 with 171 viewsitfcjoe

On reflection then on 11:43 - Jul 8 by Guthrum

Think a lot of it comes down to a misunderstanding of how this England team play. It's not about individual flashiness - tho we do rely on that for the attacking moments - more functioning as a unit, having a strategy for the entire game (e.g. knowing when we want to change up and become more aggressive) and operating within a framework.

That efficiency over flair has got us to the final of a major tounament for the first time since 1966.

Was a great comment on Football Ramble last week, talking about controlling games, as tournament games are one in big moments.....

"The only downside is a load of people who don't really understand football despite watching it all their lives complain a bit"

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024