Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the 08:13 - Jul 8 with 2483 viewshomer_123

team.

Taking Grealish off - smart and brave move to sub a sub but moreover, nothing from Grealish at all, knew it was for the team, no throwing toys out etc etc.

Liked it a lot.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:16 - Jul 8 with 2274 viewsMetal_Hacker

I hope for him that come Sunday with 20 mins to go and it's a tight game ,he comes on and scores the winner

Poll: If it were one or the other

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:31 - Jul 8 with 2162 viewsOsborneOneNil

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:16 - Jul 8 by Metal_Hacker

I hope for him that come Sunday with 20 mins to go and it's a tight game ,he comes on and scores the winner

Me too, be a great way to bring it home.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:51 - Jul 8 with 2093 viewsBasuco

Yes, the point I liked was in extra time when England switched to the back five, Denmark were pushing forward, I said that George Burley would have moved the wingbacks up to the halfway line and shift play forward, minutes later that is exactly what Gareth Southgate did.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:54 - Jul 8 with 2063 viewsOldboy

Just hope Grealish doesn't take it personally. Not nice, but for the good of the team. Great maturity.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:55 - Jul 8 with 2055 viewschrismakin

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 08:54 - Jul 8 by Oldboy

Just hope Grealish doesn't take it personally. Not nice, but for the good of the team. Great maturity.

Think this will be one of southgates prime talents. His man management skills appear to be out of the world.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:02 - Jul 8 with 2016 viewsElephantintheRoom

I hated it. Denmark on the ropes and Grealish playing no small part in making their defence less than comfortable. Instantly the Danes were back in the game. Reminded me of Ramsey taking off Bobby Charlton in Mexico v West Germany

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:05 - Jul 8 with 2011 viewsEdwardStone

Tactical substitution

Grealish has only a finite amount of sh1thousery in him, we need to save some for the Italians on Sunday

As we have seen, the Italians seem to have an unlimited supply
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:21 - Jul 8 with 1945 viewswkj

I have to admit, Grealish didn't really offer up much last night, it wasn't a game for him. However, you can bet he was treated with nothing but dignity from Southgate last night instead of a grumpy scowl from Capello, a long look from Sven or god forbid - muttering from Hodgson

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:51 - Jul 8 with 1872 viewsBiGDonnie

I'm certain he's going to start Grealish from the off on Sunday in place of Saka.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:51 - Jul 8 with 1873 viewsWD19

Ultimately we won, but we went from being a team that was totally dominating a Denmark team that were out on their feet to dropping 25 yards deeper and clinging on. It was a brave move, but I am not sure it worked especially well. It contributed to making the last 15 minutes painful.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:54 - Jul 8 with 1855 viewsTractorWood

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:51 - Jul 8 by WD19

Ultimately we won, but we went from being a team that was totally dominating a Denmark team that were out on their feet to dropping 25 yards deeper and clinging on. It was a brave move, but I am not sure it worked especially well. It contributed to making the last 15 minutes painful.

I don't think it was necessary. He seemed to preempt a threat that didn't really exist.

Ultimately though he's got us to a final so he can do what he wants.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 9:55]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:58 - Jul 8 with 1831 viewsJammyDodgerrr

It was brave, certainly, but i think it was unnecessary. We were all over Denmark for the last 60 minutes, and then we switch and just let him have the second period of extra time(or at least the first ten minutes of it until we clicked) Just seemed a bit of a naïve move, and we could've kept going and scored a third, Denmark were on the ropes.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:02 - Jul 8 with 1821 viewsGuthrum

Grealish had done his job, come on and caused chaos for the opposition. The Danes were now behind and pretty much out of steam (plus shortly a man down due to injury while having used all their subs). Put our key impact player back on the bench to keep maximum freshness for Sunday.

Grealish himself is smart enough to know that's more important than another 15 minutes of running around last night. He had, after all, spent a lengthy period towards the end of last season out injured.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:04 - Jul 8 with 1803 viewsclive_baker

Personally I wondered why he wouldn't leave Grealish on, who was still fresh and a great outlet. Especially in a 15 minute period where winning freekicks and territory could waste so much valuable time. The ball sticks to him like glue.

Having said that, it worked out for us. The safe bet would've been to say more of the same, and keep the same system. It was another call that had it backfired, GS would've been criticised for, but he's happy to make the big calls that he deems are right for the team, which is what a good manager should do.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:14 - Jul 8 with 1760 viewsSwansea_Blue

I thought that was a rubbish sub in the fort place tbh. Grealish for Mount and then play Grealish centrally would have been my call.

But yes, Southgate and Grealish dealt with the sub off very professionally.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:16 - Jul 8 with 1744 viewsm14_blue

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:04 - Jul 8 by clive_baker

Personally I wondered why he wouldn't leave Grealish on, who was still fresh and a great outlet. Especially in a 15 minute period where winning freekicks and territory could waste so much valuable time. The ball sticks to him like glue.

Having said that, it worked out for us. The safe bet would've been to say more of the same, and keep the same system. It was another call that had it backfired, GS would've been criticised for, but he's happy to make the big calls that he deems are right for the team, which is what a good manager should do.

Yep, I was surprised he didn't take Sterling off given how much work he's got through in 105 minutes.

But then I saw how Sterling played in that last 15 minutes and understood.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:25 - Jul 8 with 1696 viewsclive_baker

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:16 - Jul 8 by m14_blue

Yep, I was surprised he didn't take Sterling off given how much work he's got through in 105 minutes.

But then I saw how Sterling played in that last 15 minutes and understood.

I thought the same, after a gruelling tournament and a Final looming on Sunday, get Sterling off and rest him, he must be knackered. Then 30 seconds later he picks the ball up, runs 50 yards past 3 players and wins a freekick! Bloke is a machine.

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:34 - Jul 8 with 1655 viewsOsborneOneNil

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:51 - Jul 8 by WD19

Totally agree. In fact, I couldn’t watch the last 15 minutes because of it.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:56 - Jul 8 with 1579 viewsBlueschev

Were the last 15 painful? I thought we saw it out comfortably. We'd have been daft to push for a third.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:57 - Jul 8 with 1577 viewstractorboy1978

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:56 - Jul 8 by Blueschev

Were the last 15 painful? I thought we saw it out comfortably. We'd have been daft to push for a third.

Agreed - we had a three minute spell where they didn't even touch the ball!
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 11:00 - Jul 8 with 1558 viewsJammyDodgerrr

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 10:56 - Jul 8 by Blueschev

The first ten minutes of the second period of extra time, we were basically camped outside our own box and just scrambling it away whenever we could. Denmark may not have created much but we were sitting far, far too deep. It was only in the last five when we clicked with the change of formation and Denmark leaving so many forward that we comfortably saw it out with that long passage of possession.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 11:02 - Jul 8 with 1545 viewsclive_baker

They had 2 or 3 attacks, but that was inevitable given they needed a goal. We limited any real set pieces for the last 7 or 8 minutes and dominated possession. In fact, the last 5 minutes of that game was the least England like performance imaginable, and really shows you how much of a contract this group perhaps is to previous ones. Popping the ball around Denmark, taking it to the corner. 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go, it's when Denmark should've been throwing the kitchen sink at us, Schmeichel going up for a corner etc, but they couldn't get the ball. Very professional from England, and thoroughly deserved victory.

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 11:15 - Jul 8 with 1489 viewsBloomBlue

I was surprised as he was causing Denmark some problems however to be fair I thought Foden was causing them more problems than Grealish so if one had to be subbed then Grealish was the correct one.
A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 11:19 - Jul 8 with 1478 viewsTractorWood

We were ole'ing for 5 minutes around a Denmark team who were absolutely ruined. Was pretty comfortable imo.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 12:17 - Jul 8 with 1392 viewsThe_Last_Baron

A small point from last night that impressed me about both Southgate and the on 09:02 - Jul 8 by ElephantintheRoom

I hated it. Denmark on the ropes and Grealish playing no small part in making their defence less than comfortable. Instantly the Danes were back in the game. Reminded me of Ramsey taking off Bobby Charlton in Mexico v West Germany

You're spot on. Southgate should have went for the kill in the second half of extra-time. Denmark were done. Instead he went defensive and allowed Denmark back into the game. It did the job but had one of the Denmark corners resulted in a goal, Southgate would have been hammered by the press.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024