Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse 13:55 - Aug 6 with 1164 viewsMoriarty

How the world may change.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/scientists-spot-warning-signs-of-gul

fka omuircheartaigh

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 10:31 - Aug 7 with 938 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Terrifying prospect!

What I thought was interesting was the statement “the Amazonrainforest now emits more Co2 than it absorbs”. Anyone know why this is?
Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 10:42 - Aug 7 with 892 viewswkj

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 10:31 - Aug 7 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Terrifying prospect!

What I thought was interesting was the statement “the Amazonrainforest now emits more Co2 than it absorbs”. Anyone know why this is?

Probably because sh*t loads of it is being burned

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 10:44 - Aug 7 with 878 viewsOldsmoker

A Report in the Scotsman in 2020 suggested that the gulf stream makes Scotland 15C warmer than it normally would be.
Glad I'm in Bristol where temps are only expected to drop by 12C.
Nice to have white christmases again although I suspect the snow will probably last for 3 months.
Anyone for skiing?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 10:57 - Aug 7 with 836 viewsleitrimblue

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 10:31 - Aug 7 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Terrifying prospect!

Just bought a landcruiser?
Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:14 - Aug 7 with 790 viewsNthQldITFC

'The complexity of the AMOC system and uncertainty over levels of future global heating make it impossible to forecast the date of any collapse for now. It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away. But the colossal impact it would have means it must never be allowed to happen, the scientists said.'

Recent events have demonstrated that things can happen a lot sooner than even previous worst case timescales. The consequences of this one would probably be the rapid collapse of civilisation as we know it; famine, warfare and short-termist obliteration of nature in a desperate attempt to survive. Just in case there's a chance of averting it, we all need to act NOW and put maximum pressure on politicians to do the same. Nowhere left to hide.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:17 - Aug 7 with 777 viewswkj

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:14 - Aug 7 by NthQldITFC

'The complexity of the AMOC system and uncertainty over levels of future global heating make it impossible to forecast the date of any collapse for now. It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away. But the colossal impact it would have means it must never be allowed to happen, the scientists said.'

Recent events have demonstrated that things can happen a lot sooner than even previous worst case timescales. The consequences of this one would probably be the rapid collapse of civilisation as we know it; famine, warfare and short-termist obliteration of nature in a desperate attempt to survive. Just in case there's a chance of averting it, we all need to act NOW and put maximum pressure on politicians to do the same. Nowhere left to hide.

We've needed this for 30 years, but the environment is just something we're always fighting a lost cause on. Doesn't mean we should give up, but we HAVE to put other politics aside or we're never going to go anywhere fast with the environment.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:34 - Aug 7 with 726 viewsOldsmoker

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:14 - Aug 7 by NthQldITFC

100% agree with you. We have to act now.
Those who scoff at your remark ref the rapid colllapse of civilisation should note that a drop in temperature on the scales suggested means the food we grow in our fields will have to change in just ONE season. All the insects we rely on to pollinate our plants will die immediately as they cannot survive such an environmental shift.
It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:42 - Aug 7 with 703 viewsNthQldITFC

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:34 - Aug 7 by Oldsmoker

100% agree with you. We have to act now.
Those who scoff at your remark ref the rapid colllapse of civilisation should note that a drop in temperature on the scales suggested means the food we grow in our fields will have to change in just ONE season. All the insects we rely on to pollinate our plants will die immediately as they cannot survive such an environmental shift.
It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

One 'positive' sign that I would suggest is that there are nowhere near as many people scoffing at the scale of the risks, or outright denying climate change as there were a few years ago. It may be that the message is finally getting through to the educated and uneducated alike.

As you say, idiotically simplistic arguments like 'oh well, just grow something else then' do prevail, but whereas in the past we might have said it's our grandchildren that will pay the price of inaction, it's beginning to look more like it will be our children, and indeed, us.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:50 - Aug 7 with 667 viewsOldsmoker

Warning that Gulf Stream may collapse on 11:42 - Aug 7 by NthQldITFC

One 'positive' sign that I would suggest is that there are nowhere near as many people scoffing at the scale of the risks, or outright denying climate change as there were a few years ago. It may be that the message is finally getting through to the educated and uneducated alike.

As you say, idiotically simplistic arguments like 'oh well, just grow something else then' do prevail, but whereas in the past we might have said it's our grandchildren that will pay the price of inaction, it's beginning to look more like it will be our children, and indeed, us.

Telling someone not to mug me 'cos all I have is a 3GL pay-as-you-go phone will be peanuts versus trying to convince some environmental nazis that I too share their ideology and not to beat me up because I come from the generation that screwed the planet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024