Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coulson 19:52 - Aug 21 with 720 viewsTerra_Farma

His positioning this afternoon was Sunday league stuff - at best.

Fair enough if he got caught a couple of times, but this lad was out of position until his substitution. He has the positional sense of someone who has never played left back in their life, let alone defence.

Penney is so much better and why Cook played Coulson instead of Penney is mind boggling.

Coulson on 19:54 - Aug 21 with 699 viewspointofblue

The only thing I can think of is he was asked to drop inside to help with MK Dons' compact attack, as they were playing with two number tens behind a striker. Because otherwise how can a left back be caught in field so often?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Coulson on 19:59 - Aug 21 with 670 viewsKeaneish

Coulson on 19:54 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

The only thing I can think of is he was asked to drop inside to help with MK Dons' compact attack, as they were playing with two number tens behind a striker. Because otherwise how can a left back be caught in field so often?

I think it’s more the face he kept losing possession. If Burgess comes out to cover he leaves a hole which Coulson has to come on field to straight line run and fill. It’s the first mistake which lead to this in several occasions in my view.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Coulson on 20:06 - Aug 21 with 618 viewsTerra_Farma

Coulson on 19:54 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

Maybe he was asked to drop inside, fair point.

But ultimately, he still needs to do a job as a left back.

A really frustrating afternoon, but I am sure things will start coming together.
Coulson on 20:14 - Aug 21 with 578 viewsstiff_talking

Coulson on 19:59 - Aug 21 by Keaneish

I think it’s more the face he kept losing possession. If Burgess comes out to cover he leaves a hole which Coulson has to come on field to straight line run and fill. It’s the first mistake which lead to this in several occasions in my view.

From the small amount of time we saw Coulson today I thought he is a solid defender, calm on the ball, athletic but lacks creativity in attacking third. Coulson did have an interesting habit to play the ball off opposing attackers legs and earned Ipswich a lot of extra throw ins. Penny, game is the opposite. He is great in attacking third (re watch his pass for 2nd goal today) but he hesitates with defending ( Morecambe first goal) and his positional play is more attacking than defensive.

I don’t see Penny or Coulson as comparable players as they are very different, and this is what I like about this pairing. We have good options with diversity at left back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024