Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dai Rees and John Elsworthy 10:32 - Oct 12 with 923 viewsitfcjoe

Can a couple of those fortunate to have lived through the glory years tell me much about these two as players - main positions (in a modern sense) and style etc

Thanks

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Dai Rees and John Elsworthy on 12:41 - Oct 12 with 775 viewsPJH

Although I almost certainly saw Dai Rees play, I do not remember doing so. He was a centre half who last played in 1959 but was no longer first choice in 1958/59 but whether he lost his place through injury, I don't know.

John Elsworthy was originally an inside forward but by the time Sir Alf arrived in 1955 had started playing at wing half. He was a very good player that would now probably be described as an attacking midfielder. He was a very important part of the clubs rise from third division to the top division and becoming Champions Of England.
He only missed one game in the title-winning season and his goal in a 4-1 home win over Man U with a chipped freekick from just outside the penalty area is one of the vivid memories that I have from that season. He also hit the bar with a header with Ray Crawford putting the rebound in ifor the first goal against Villa on the day that the title was won.
Dai Rees and John Elsworthy on 17:51 - Oct 12 with 571 viewsmonty_radio

I remember Big John as a player who seemed to ease his way through a game, having the knack of being able to scent danger before it materialised. I don't mean to invite a direct comparison, but if you look at the way that Pogba moves through a game, Elsworthy had something of that about him. Was once regularly said of him that he was one of the best players that Wales never had.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Dai Rees and John Elsworthy on 17:54 - Oct 12 with 565 viewsPhilTWTD

Here's how Elsworthy described himself. I asked him to tell me a bit about each of the 61/62 players, including himself.

"I'd lost my cartilages and a little bit of pace. I had a tremendous amount of experience as inside forward so I knew what to do in the middle of the park. When I went to half-back it was the best day's work I had ever done because it ended up with the inside-forward marking me when I was traditionally supposed to be marking him because I couldn't get used to playing half-back. And with my height, I was 6' 3”, I was still useful in the box. Basically I was a ball-player and I made players play."

It Was 60 Years Ago Today 28th Apr 2012 00:00
John also told us something about each of the players who wore the blue shirt that season. 5

Dai Rees and John Elsworthy on 17:55 - Oct 12 with 561 viewsWickets

Dai Rees finished his career at Cambridge City in the Southern league i think he then went on to play some Sunday League football in Cambridge as a 15 year old boy i played a couple of matches with him . Quite sort of bloke as i remember him .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024