Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watched Newcastle v Sunderland 22:18 - Dec 23 with 2064 viewsBluespeed225

1990 play off 2nd leg from a FB link. Looked nuts, proper old school atmosphere, but best bit was the Eric Gates master class! He was nearing 35, on a sodden pitch, still had the touch, scored the opener, great stuff. It's on YT if you fancy a look.
Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 22:27 - Dec 23 with 2017 viewsRyorry

The one I'd really like to see, if I could find the time, is the Charlton - Sunderland 4-4 POF. Remember hearing it live on radio, ding dong, ding dong, ding dong, ding dong + the name Mendonca! Even for neutrals it was absolutely enthralling -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 23:04 - Dec 23 with 1958 viewsclive_baker

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 22:27 - Dec 23 by Ryorry

The one I'd really like to see, if I could find the time, is the Charlton - Sunderland 4-4 POF. Remember hearing it live on radio, ding dong, ding dong, ding dong, ding dong + the name Mendonca! Even for neutrals it was absolutely enthralling -

That was an incredible match. I think the Championship playoff final is my favourite game in the football calendar.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 23:07 - Dec 23 with 1958 viewsParisBlue

I went to the first leg at Roker Park. A fairly dull 0-0 until Gabbiadini fell over in the last minute to win a penalty. Paul Hardyman took it, John Burridge saved it and Hardyman reacted by booting him in the head and getting sent off.

That was Gates last season at Sunderland, his last game being the defeat by Swindon at Wembley. Swindon were subsequently relegated due to financial irregularities and Sunderland promoted. Gates played one more season for Carlisle before retiring for good.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 04:00 - Dec 24 with 1814 viewsBluespeed225

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 23:07 - Dec 23 by ParisBlue

I went to the first leg at Roker Park. A fairly dull 0-0 until Gabbiadini fell over in the last minute to win a penalty. Paul Hardyman took it, John Burridge saved it and Hardyman reacted by booting him in the head and getting sent off.

That was Gates last season at Sunderland, his last game being the defeat by Swindon at Wembley. Swindon were subsequently relegated due to financial irregularities and Sunderland promoted. Gates played one more season for Carlisle before retiring for good.

Gatesey was loving that game by the look of it, spreading play, scoring, still trying for pens with that turn and setting up the second. I looked up the first game, looks like hardyman totally lost it when Budgie made the save! Talk about following up!
Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 08:32 - Dec 24 with 1711 viewsChurchman

A good friend of mine who is a mackem went to the 2nd leg game and reckons it’s the most mental, enjoyable game he’s ever been to.
Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 10:30 - Dec 24 with 1626 viewsRadlett_blue

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 22:27 - Dec 23 by Ryorry

I wasn't intending to watch the Charlton-Sunderland final as I was still grumpy about Charlton kicking us off the park at PR in the semi final, but eventually I tuned in & was enthralled by the quality of the game & thought "mm...maybe Town weren't actually robbed in the play-offs".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 11:04 - Dec 24 with 1591 viewsBlueastheycome

Only 32k in attendance. That’s strange.
Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 12:02 - Dec 24 with 1546 viewsChurchman

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 11:04 - Dec 24 by Blueastheycome

Only 32k in attendance. That’s strange.

Not really. In 1991 against Ipswich who were more or less top of the league at the time, the gate was 16,336. Newcastle following might be good now, but this greatest, most loyal in the universe is a bit of a myth.
Login to get fewer ads

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 12:41 - Dec 24 with 1505 viewsRadlett_blue

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 12:02 - Dec 24 by Churchman

Not really. In 1991 against Ipswich who were more or less top of the league at the time, the gate was 16,336. Newcastle following might be good now, but this greatest, most loyal in the universe is a bit of a myth.

Indeed, during 1991-92, when Newcastle were heading for the 3rd division, some of their home crowds were less than 10,000 & even the local derby with Sunderland pulled in just 30,000.

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 14:07 - Dec 24 with 1451 viewsParisBlue

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 12:41 - Dec 24 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, during 1991-92, when Newcastle were heading for the 3rd division, some of their home crowds were less than 10,000 & even the local derby with Sunderland pulled in just 30,000.

I was at uni in Sunderland at the time, on my first week I went to a Newcastle midweek game with just 16,000.

Attendences for both Newcastle and Sunderland varied hugely depending on results. I've never doubted the passion, definite football cities, sit in a pub and talk to a local about football (even with my southern accent). Crowds of ~15,000 at both were common but games would also often also sell out. Economics of the late 80s and early 90s played a bit part.

Roker Park in particular was run down. In their last season the capacity was down to ~22,500, far away from the regular crowds of 75,000 it once attracted.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 16:12 - Dec 24 with 1392 viewsMackemLad

The Newcastle fans tried to get the game abandoned after we had scored the second right near the end. The game was stopped for I think about 20 minutes, before coming back to play the last few minutes. I don't think any Newcastle fans even considered they would lose that day, especially after getting a good result in the first leg at Roker (0-0).

Gates and Gabbiadini were a potent strikeforce back in the day though, we always had a good chance. Mags arrogance though.
Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 16:45 - Dec 24 with 1357 viewsRadlett_blue

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 16:12 - Dec 24 by MackemLad

The Newcastle fans tried to get the game abandoned after we had scored the second right near the end. The game was stopped for I think about 20 minutes, before coming back to play the last few minutes. I don't think any Newcastle fans even considered they would lose that day, especially after getting a good result in the first leg at Roker (0-0).

Gates and Gabbiadini were a potent strikeforce back in the day though, we always had a good chance. Mags arrogance though.

Hmm..a bit of history there, with the infamous Newcastle pitch invasion when the FA Cup tie against Forest wasn't going their way as well. However, the boot was on the other foot when Rangers fans invaded the pitch as Newcastle were beating them in the Fairs Cup semi final in 1969.

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 08:33 - Dec 25 with 1185 viewsBluespeed225

Watched Newcastle v Sunderland on 14:07 - Dec 24 by ParisBlue

I was at uni in Sunderland at the time, on my first week I went to a Newcastle midweek game with just 16,000.

Attendences for both Newcastle and Sunderland varied hugely depending on results. I've never doubted the passion, definite football cities, sit in a pub and talk to a local about football (even with my southern accent). Crowds of ~15,000 at both were common but games would also often also sell out. Economics of the late 80s and early 90s played a bit part.

Roker Park in particular was run down. In their last season the capacity was down to ~22,500, far away from the regular crowds of 75,000 it once attracted.

I was at that! I was working up that way, fitting out a Carpetright store, , had some lads who I’d hook up with from South Shields, used to stay over with them, claim my night out money (£25, in late 80’s early 90’s B&B for a tenner still, rest for food/beer), so went over to the game. As said, 16k attendance. I’m just in shot on the old 91/2 season video, leaping about on my own as Kywoma scores.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024