Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any iMac security experts here? 11:04 - Jan 9 with 474 viewsnodge_blue

I upgraded my 2012 iMac last year with an SSD and more Ram. So Id like to keep it going for quite a while yet. But the iOS is going to go out of support sometime this year with no more updates.

How big an issue is that? If I use Chrome as the browser then I assume Chrome would still be updated so vulnerabilities whilst browsing are less?

Or the other thing I was wondering is whether I just install windows on it. Ive never done that before but I assume if I did that then it would just not have any issues as long as I booted up Windows each time I use it?

Anyone out there with any thoughts? Im a bit worried about doing online banking etc if the IOS is out of support.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Any iMac security experts here? on 11:39 - Jan 9 with 413 viewsRyorry

I was told by an Apple rep when looking at a different issue on my old 2013 Mac laptop around 2018 that I didn't need any extra protection as long as I had Malwarebytes (which I think is pre-installed?) functioning.

Obviously that situation may now have been superceded, I'm certainly no expert!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Any iMac security experts here? on 12:17 - Jan 9 with 376 viewswkj

As an IT person, the correct answer I should give is you really want those security credentials up to date if it is going to be connected to the internet. You can still use it as a productivity machine after the OS is sunset - but the longer you operate on a maintenance mode OS, the more restrictions you will want to set yourself. That is to say, limit any transactions or logins you make on it.

You COULD technically set up a virtual machine to use windows (or linux) to do all the online stuff, but most people will notice a performance drop by doing that.

In short, I would start budgeting for a new (or more up to date) machine within 12-18months.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Any iMac security experts here? on 13:12 - Jan 9 with 331 viewsnodge_blue

Any iMac security experts here? on 12:17 - Jan 9 by wkj

As an IT person, the correct answer I should give is you really want those security credentials up to date if it is going to be connected to the internet. You can still use it as a productivity machine after the OS is sunset - but the longer you operate on a maintenance mode OS, the more restrictions you will want to set yourself. That is to say, limit any transactions or logins you make on it.

You COULD technically set up a virtual machine to use windows (or linux) to do all the online stuff, but most people will notice a performance drop by doing that.

In short, I would start budgeting for a new (or more up to date) machine within 12-18months.

Thanks for that. Its what I thought as well really as also an IT person.

But then I see you can install windows on older iMacs and I was thinking maybe that just gets around it all. Performance issues with my upgraded RAM and SSD should be minimal.

I regret spending the money on it last year really. Should have just set it aside then. But its partly my reluctance to bin something that still works ok just to line Apples pockets.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024