Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census 12:27 - Jan 11 with 2637 viewsfactual_blue

My late mum's past was always a bit of a mystery. She appeared to have been raised by an 'aunt' (not in the Handmaid's Tale sense), but that was all I knew really.

After some delving and a lot of dead ends, I managed to track down her birth cert last year using Ancestry and ordering a copy.

Turns out she was illegitimate, which in 1914 was probably a bit tricky. Especially as her mum was married. The actual father's name is on the birth cert. I imagine this was so her husband wouldn't have any liability for the child.

Anyway, the 1921 Census shows her in Essex, a seven year old 'fostered' to a 55 year old women. The 'aunt' was living in the house, possibly the niece or daughter of the foster mother.

I'm now going to try and track down where my maternal grandparents were in 1921.

I already know that my dad, in about 1923-24, ended up in a single parent household when his father left to live with another women. His three children disowned him, to the extent that I never met him, and didn't know of his death when I was 12 until I was 35 (I found is death cert when my mum died).

All a bit of a shock to realise what a dreadful time they must have had in the 1920s.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 18:45 - Jan 11 with 268 viewsChurchman

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 17:54 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

You can buy individual records from FMP for £2.50 - no membership cost. You have to be sure you've got the right one first though.

My father's home village in Lincolnshire featured in an Ian Hislop documentary about war memorials. The village refused their grant from the government for a memorial because the govt would only allow them to include six of the seven men from the village killed in the war. The seventh, who was actually a professional soldier and not a conscript, had been shot for desertion, which was clearly (based on the court martial) shell shock/PTSD.

The local church, at least into the 30s when my dad's younger brother left the village, didn't even hold a Remembrance Day service in a remarkable show of solidarity.

There's even been a play about the story.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/village-which-refused-have-war-memorial-our-

I remember that story of the Lincolnshire village. Amazing and a brilliant show of solidarity, especially for the time when so many had been lost or damaged for life. Hislop’s documentary was very interesting and sensitively presented a difficult subject.

Despite his descendants protestations, Douglas Haig had little trouble authorising deserters shot as far as I can tell. Over 300 against 18 in the German army. France executed over 600 ‘pour encourager les autres’. It’s little wonder the French Army was broken by 1918 and had mutinied.

As nobody understood shell shock at the start of WW1, I can sort of understand the early responses to it, but by 1917 they certainly had a good idea. In fact my in September 1917 grandfather was hit in the face with shrapnel and was invalided out with shell shock 7 months later and the words appear on his record.
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 20:50 - Jan 11 with 234 viewsCoastalblue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:32 - Jan 11 by azuremerlangus

Depending which yard it was there may be records of his employment.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 14:33]

Amazing what you can find out from stuff like this, I found out in the last few years that my paternal Great Grandfather was a lighterman and worked very close to where I no live, miles from where I grew up and spent most of my life.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024