Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan Game + final two 18:08 - Apr 16 with 856 viewsTomTheWriter

I’ve seen a few suggesting that we should keep a settled side to finish the season to not curb possible momentum, but I think we’ll see rotation because McKenna will want to know who he wants next season. There are a handful that need to ‘prove’ something and a few that deserve the chance to show what they have. For me, i’d be going with this for the Crewe and Charlton game (considering Wigan’s position I think we’ll go ‘senior’)

Hladky against Crewe (possible send-off) / Walton against Charlton
Donacien / Woolfenden / Baggott
Vincent Young / El Mizouni / Morsy / Penney
Chaplin / Celina
Norwood

Keeper on bench
Burgess
Humphreys
Bakinson
Burns
Chirewa
Simpson

#TrustTheAcademy

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Wigan Game + final two on 18:19 - Apr 16 with 809 viewsbringbacktheglory

I wonder if we should go to a back 4.

Walton
JD Wolf Baggot Thompson/Penny
Morsy El Miz
Burns Aluko Celina
Simpson

The space between the midfield and attackers today was crazy. It looked like the pitch was twice as big as it should be at times. I think having Aluko in front of the two would provide that link. It would also make us less one dimensional with Burns being our only outlet.

I would sign Norwood up, but we know what he's going to offer. I know that is not going to be a universally popular call. Bonne , unfortunately appears to be out of sorts and not worth going for. If we can shift Pigott, that would be great too. I think he needs a fresh start for a team who isn't going for promotion. Give Simpson a go, after Wigan.

I would be surprised to see McKenna go for it though...
Wigan Game + final two on 18:22 - Apr 16 with 785 viewsDennyx4

In all honesty, probably little point in playing players that we know wont be here in the last two games, as this will not impact any other clubs. (Charlton & Crewe have nothing left to play for either). I would go with what KM thinks is our strongest 11 for Wigan.

The club should have an idea on the likes of Norwood, Thompson, Bakinson, Bonne, Carroll etc that are either out of contract or on loan. If we are trying to keep, continue in the squad.

I would like to see Humphreys get a game, maybe at LWB - know he has played LM for the U23's
Wigan Game + final two on 18:24 - Apr 16 with 777 viewsTomTheWriter

Wigan Game + final two on 18:19 - Apr 16 by bringbacktheglory

Walton
Morsy El Miz
Burns Aluko Celina
Simpson

The space between the midfield and attackers today was crazy. It looked like the pitch was twice as big as it should be at times. I think having Aluko in front of the two would provide that link. It would also make us less one dimensional with Burns being our only outlet.

I would sign Norwood up, but we know what he's going to offer. I know that is not going to be a universally popular call. Bonne , unfortunately appears to be out of sorts and not worth going for. If we can shift Pigott, that would be great too. I think he needs a fresh start for a team who isn't going for promotion. Give Simpson a go, after Wigan.

I think he’ll stick with the 3-at-the-back, he just needs to either play two strikers up top, or a different attacking midfielder up there. You can’t play Celina and Aluko together again, today they formed a middle 6 behind Norwood. We have some proper talents in the academy who are winning every game, and are scoring goals in the process. Chirewa, Tommy Hughes, Harley Curtis, Zanda Siziba, Matt Ward. All deserving of being in first-team training and getting a chance to run at the opposition which is a strong part of their games

Wigan Game + final two on 18:24 - Apr 16 with 773 viewspointofblue

Wigan Game + final two on 18:19 - Apr 16 by bringbacktheglory

Walton
Morsy El Miz
Burns Aluko Celina
Simpson

That gap between the midfield and the problem; when Burns is being marked out the game we seem to have no clue how to get the ball forward. As you say, I don't think adding an extra striker will necessarily work - I wonder if we need an extra midfielder to allow Morsy maybe start providing from deep slightly more?

Walton
Donaicen - Woolfenden - Baggott
Burns - Humphrys - Morsy - Bakinson - Thompson
Aluko
Norwood

The issue is there is a real disconnect between the front three and the rest; that's what we somehow need to address.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Wigan Game + final two on 18:25 - Apr 16 with 771 viewsRadlett_blue

We should stop playing players who will not be here next season. Not sure which of the loan players McKenna would like here next season, though. Maybe he also hasn't made up his mind about some of the out of contract players e.g. Norwood.
I can see why McKenna might want to play his strongest side against Wigan, but Bagott did well today & I'd like to see him play in the remaining games. Would also like to see Humphreys & Simpson start in at least one of the final two games.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Wigan Game + final two on 18:26 - Apr 16 with 765 viewsTomTheWriter

Wigan Game + final two on 18:22 - Apr 16 by Dennyx4

In all honesty, probably little point in playing players that we know wont be here in the last two games, as this will not impact any other clubs. (Charlton & Crewe have nothing left to play for either). I would go with what KM thinks is our strongest 11 for Wigan.

The club should have an idea on the likes of Norwood, Thompson, Bakinson, Bonne, Carroll etc that are either out of contract or on loan. If we are trying to keep, continue in the squad.

I would like to see Humphreys get a game, maybe at LWB - know he has played LM for the U23's

Exactly that. Bonne, Thompson and Carroll should not be in the squad for the rest of the season bar an injury to Penney. Either not ours, shouldn’t be ours or shouldn’t be here next season. KVY, Idris and Penney need to show what they can do. Humprheys, Simpson, Chirewa etc have youthful exuberance on their side

Wigan Game + final two on 18:27 - Apr 16 with 757 viewspointofblue

Wigan Game + final two on 18:25 - Apr 16 by Radlett_blue

We should stop playing players who will not be here next season. Not sure which of the loan players McKenna would like here next season, though. Maybe he also hasn't made up his mind about some of the out of contract players e.g. Norwood.
I can see why McKenna might want to play his strongest side against Wigan, but Bagott did well today & I'd like to see him play in the remaining games. Would also like to see Humphreys & Simpson start in at least one of the final two games.

Regarding Wigan, it reminds me a bit like our last full season under Mick, where we save ourselves from relegation with about four matches left but he said he would field his strongest team against sides with something to play for due to the integrity of the competition. We played a scratch side, of sorts, and lost at already relegated Rotherham.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Wigan Game + final two on 18:33 - Apr 16 with 732 viewsRadlett_blue

Wigan Game + final two on 18:27 - Apr 16 by pointofblue

Regarding Wigan, it reminds me a bit like our last full season under Mick, where we save ourselves from relegation with about four matches left but he said he would field his strongest team against sides with something to play for due to the integrity of the competition. We played a scratch side, of sorts, and lost at already relegated Rotherham.

Which Town players were left out today who would have strengthened the Town starting XI?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan Game + final two on 18:35 - Apr 16 with 727 viewsbringbacktheglory

Wigan Game + final two on 18:24 - Apr 16 by TomTheWriter

I think he’ll stick with the 3-at-the-back, he just needs to either play two strikers up top, or a different attacking midfielder up there. You can’t play Celina and Aluko together again, today they formed a middle 6 behind Norwood. We have some proper talents in the academy who are winning every game, and are scoring goals in the process. Chirewa, Tommy Hughes, Harley Curtis, Zanda Siziba, Matt Ward. All deserving of being in first-team training and getting a chance to run at the opposition which is a strong part of their games

I do too, just wonder if he will next season. We either need to find a Burn equivalent on the left or go to a 4 at the back! I just don't see how we could get promoted being so predictable!

I agree with the academy, and would love nothing more than to see us thriving with talented young players in the squad. We need to be careful though. We thought we would have a triumphant midfield trio in Downes, Dozzell and Nydam (plus perhaps Bishop). It was too much expectation for them, and too many hopes were pinned on them. I do hope that they get their chance and I do believe McKenna will see value in the youngster when we are playing well and have an identity. They need to be able to fit into a working system, rather than be expected to change our identity!
Wigan Game + final two on 18:37 - Apr 16 with 717 viewsbringbacktheglory

Wigan Game + final two on 18:24 - Apr 16 by pointofblue

That gap between the midfield and the problem; when Burns is being marked out the game we seem to have no clue how to get the ball forward. As you say, I don't think adding an extra striker will necessarily work - I wonder if we need an extra midfielder to allow Morsy maybe start providing from deep slightly more?

Walton
Donaicen - Woolfenden - Baggott
Burns - Humphrys - Morsy - Bakinson - Thompson
Aluko
Norwood

The issue is there is a real disconnect between the front three and the rest; that's what we somehow need to address.

That disconnect is a real issue, and Morsy has shown he is capable of driving us forward so that is definitely something to consider. I do feel like this has been a problem forever, how often have we seen our strikers so isolated up top?
Wigan Game + final two on 18:39 - Apr 16 with 713 viewsTomTheWriter

Wigan Game + final two on 18:35 - Apr 16 by bringbacktheglory

I do too, just wonder if he will next season. We either need to find a Burn equivalent on the left or go to a 4 at the back! I just don't see how we could get promoted being so predictable!

I agree with the academy, and would love nothing more than to see us thriving with talented young players in the squad. We need to be careful though. We thought we would have a triumphant midfield trio in Downes, Dozzell and Nydam (plus perhaps Bishop). It was too much expectation for them, and too many hopes were pinned on them. I do hope that they get their chance and I do believe McKenna will see value in the youngster when we are playing well and have an identity. They need to be able to fit into a working system, rather than be expected to change our identity!

We need another Burns next season 100%. We are too predictable every game now that Jackson
and Edwards are not fit. He is the only quick player we have fit (which is down to Cook’s awful recruiting in the summer).

I agree about the academy. We need to not put too much pressure on them. That’s why the final two are the perfect opportunity for them. No pressure, let them play there game against two sides with nothing to play for. That’s the only way we are going to know if they are good enough

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024