Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pointless hypothetical question about the early 80s Ipswich team. 20:16 - May 17 with 3158 viewsMattinLondon

How well would the Town team from the early 80s do in this seasons PL - obviously not as they are now but in their prime. You can take into account todays medical facilities, fewer matches and things off the pitch that they didn’t have back then. Also, I think that we only used 14 players all season so let’s add in another 7 or 8 average to good PL players as well.

Obviously it’s just hypothetical but just interested with what various posters think.
Pointless hypothetical question about the early 80s Ipswich team. on 11:12 - May 19 with 200 viewsjayessess

Pointless hypothetical question about the early 80s Ipswich team. on 09:14 - May 19 by DJR

You make some good points. I suppose the main attribute that a good player has is skill, and there is no reason to think that skilful players from the past would not thrive today. Whilst in other sports, increased size means that, say, a Tyson Fury would beat an Ali, in football size does not in the main come into it, given the size of players like Maradona and Messi. The only exception is goalkeeper (and possibly central defenders when it comes to crosses) because I think a top 6ft 5in goalkeeper from today would be better than a top goalkeeper from the past due to a longer reach. And to those who say that players in the past were not as fit, they would be as fit if playing today because they would be subject to current training regimes.
[Post edited 19 May 2022 9:22]

I think there are definitely elite players from the past who could never have achieved the required athleticism to reach the same level now, regardless of what training programme you put them on.

Some who would never have the right mindset, some who just physically weren't capable of it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024