Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our wage bill v Millwalls 17:57 - Jul 23 with 1251 viewsEssexBloo

Roughly how would our average wage compare to theirs just for a comparison?
Our wage bill v Millwalls on 19:34 - Jul 23 with 1033 viewsHighgateBlue

It's probably impossible to know for sure. Casting one's net around the internet, there are various sites that list salaries, but these are surely to some extent guesses. One site seems to have us last year at about 75% of Millwall, and another site has us slightly more than them for this year, but the absolute values for the two sites varies very considerably.

Based on the vague information that is available, it would seem that Millwall are in the lower half of the Championship in terms of wage bills. This makes sense given that they have no parachute payments though of course, and they're in the bottom half for attendances.

Now of course if wage bills were set according to proper, actual, real, turnover, you would expect Millwall to have a larger wage bill than us, despite our bigger stadium. TV revenues are bigger.

However, we have a very considerable investor-owner. What I have never seen reported, but what I have found out through actually looking at last year's EFL regulations, is that for League One, the SCMP operates in such a way that money invested into a club by a cash injection from owners (including the £14m recent share issue) counts towards turnover, and more importantly it falls into the category of turnover that allows 100% of it to be spent on salaries rather than 60%.

Accordingly, we can spend whatever the owners cotton-picking like on salaries. Clearly we will be limited by the fact that many players will not want to come to League One regardless, and some will not fancy Suffolk. However, two half-hearted attempts to get out of this league will surely cause more losses than one turbo-charged spend on wages in an attempt to ensure promotion at the next attempt. This would seem to chime with the recent £14m injection (and they can put more in, whenever they fancy).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if this year our wage bill gets pretty close to Millwall's, even if it does not perhaps match it. If we don't land Celina (as looks likely) that will make a material difference, but I still think the owners will not be messing about, and there is no effective rule stopping them.
Our wage bill v Millwalls on 19:51 - Jul 23 with 973 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

For the year ended 30th June 2021, our wages were £13.4m (2020: £12.9m).

2021: 166% of turnover (2020: 122%)

In the same period(s), theirs wages costs were £20.8m (2020: £18.9m)

2021: 166% of turnover (2020: 115%)
Our wage bill v Millwalls on 19:59 - Jul 23 with 930 viewsIllinoisblue

Our wage bill v Millwalls on 19:51 - Jul 23 by King_ding_a_lin_g

For the year ended 30th June 2021, our wages were £13.4m (2020: £12.9m).

2021: 166% of turnover (2020: 122%)

In the same period(s), theirs wages costs were £20.8m (2020: £18.9m)

2021: 166% of turnover (2020: 115%)

A lot of money for us and them to essentially stand still in our respective divisions
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 19:59]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our wage bill v Millwalls on 20:36 - Jul 23 with 787 viewsElephantintheRoom

Our wage bill v Millwalls on 19:34 - Jul 23 by HighgateBlue

It's probably impossible to know for sure. Casting one's net around the internet, there are various sites that list salaries, but these are surely to some extent guesses. One site seems to have us last year at about 75% of Millwall, and another site has us slightly more than them for this year, but the absolute values for the two sites varies very considerably.

Based on the vague information that is available, it would seem that Millwall are in the lower half of the Championship in terms of wage bills. This makes sense given that they have no parachute payments though of course, and they're in the bottom half for attendances.

Now of course if wage bills were set according to proper, actual, real, turnover, you would expect Millwall to have a larger wage bill than us, despite our bigger stadium. TV revenues are bigger.

However, we have a very considerable investor-owner. What I have never seen reported, but what I have found out through actually looking at last year's EFL regulations, is that for League One, the SCMP operates in such a way that money invested into a club by a cash injection from owners (including the £14m recent share issue) counts towards turnover, and more importantly it falls into the category of turnover that allows 100% of it to be spent on salaries rather than 60%.

Accordingly, we can spend whatever the owners cotton-picking like on salaries. Clearly we will be limited by the fact that many players will not want to come to League One regardless, and some will not fancy Suffolk. However, two half-hearted attempts to get out of this league will surely cause more losses than one turbo-charged spend on wages in an attempt to ensure promotion at the next attempt. This would seem to chime with the recent £14m injection (and they can put more in, whenever they fancy).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if this year our wage bill gets pretty close to Millwall's, even if it does not perhaps match it. If we don't land Celina (as looks likely) that will make a material difference, but I still think the owners will not be messing about, and there is no effective rule stopping them.

All you need to know is that these giants of the game could afford Bart when we couldn’t and operate one division higher

In other words a chasm

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024