Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The outcome of the Wyoming Republican primary is literally the death knell... 13:40 - Aug 17 with 717 viewsunstableblue

... for American democracy/society...

Sound dramatic?

Trump is so corrupt, so based on lies (election fraud that NEVER happened), so based on morals that are bankrupt (climate change denial, racism, wealth divide growth, greed, ignorance of common standards/decency (e.g. classified document protocols etc etc). He literally, without any doubt, incited an insurgency into their capital building, he is inciting people to attack law enforcement including the FBI.

And yet his candidate, the one he put in place, has beaten the only Republican to stand up to his decay

Why do we care in the UK... because we are on the same slippery slope.. as Truss, GB News, and Talk TV drag us into the mire....

Thoughts?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The outcome of the Wyoming Republican primary is literally the death knell... on 14:05 - Aug 17 with 644 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I think you have just about covered it.

Trump also loaded the Supreme Court with judges who have an agenda to overthrow major cornerstones of the post-60s human rights settlement.

Johnson, in contrast, simply passed a law that said that the British Supreme Court couldn't throw out a ministerial decision, putting his Government beyond the Law. Having increased the powers of Ministers to make Law without recourse to Parliament. And suppressed multiple Parliamentary Committee reports. And made "annoying" protest a criminal offence. And increased the number of crimes liable to summary extra-judicial punishment by the Police. And has started voter-suppression measures. And has taken the previously independent Electoral Commission under direct ministerial oversight. And has actively promoted breaking International Law, broken Laws his Government introduced, and made the Queen break the law.

And for their next trick, the Tories are likely to leave the European Court of Human Rights.

And people will still vote for them. Until it is too late, and they have no rights left.
The outcome of the Wyoming Republican primary is literally the death knell... on 18:14 - Aug 17 with 454 viewsOldsmoker

The outcome of the Wyoming Republican primary is literally the death knell... on 14:05 - Aug 17 by ArnoldMoorhen

I think you have just about covered it.

Trump also loaded the Supreme Court with judges who have an agenda to overthrow major cornerstones of the post-60s human rights settlement.

Johnson, in contrast, simply passed a law that said that the British Supreme Court couldn't throw out a ministerial decision, putting his Government beyond the Law. Having increased the powers of Ministers to make Law without recourse to Parliament. And suppressed multiple Parliamentary Committee reports. And made "annoying" protest a criminal offence. And increased the number of crimes liable to summary extra-judicial punishment by the Police. And has started voter-suppression measures. And has taken the previously independent Electoral Commission under direct ministerial oversight. And has actively promoted breaking International Law, broken Laws his Government introduced, and made the Queen break the law.

And for their next trick, the Tories are likely to leave the European Court of Human Rights.

And people will still vote for them. Until it is too late, and they have no rights left.

That's a concise way of putting it. Well done. I would have taken 12,000 words to say the exact same thing.
When Bliar got elected in 1997, I thought, Great! they're going to reverse those evil anti-union laws that Thatcher/Tebbit brought in. They didn't.
If Labour replace the Tories at the next GE you would hope that they would reverse the anti-democratic actions you have listed in your post.
Don't hold your breath.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024