Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shape on goal kicks 11:45 - Jan 16 with 559 viewsitfc48

We seem to have a specific set-up for our goal kicks designed for playing out from the back which does seem to work well most of the time.

However, this Saturday we faced a clued-up Plymouth team who were very well set-up by Schumacher. He'd obviously worked out, we like to do this and that we're quite a small team in comparison so would mostly be second favourites in an aerial match-up.

My concern is we didn't seem to adjust our shape enough when going long which meant Ladapo was isolated. The nearest player was often 20+ yards away meaning the chances of winning the second ball were slim.

Credit to Plymouth they crowded the midfield and stifled our passing game for much of the match. I did think Plymouth looked slow and a bit shaky at the back so it's a shame Jackson's pace wasn't utilised. Plymouth would have then had to decide whether to keep gambling with the high line or drop a bit deeper which would have given our midfield more space to play.

Overall it was a scrappy game at best. I think we have more talent in our squad however they seem to have a very effective system for this league.
Shape on goal kicks on 11:54 - Jan 16 with 510 viewsthebooks

I think this was where Plymouth outplayed us on Saturday. They had 4 players right near Walton and the CBs whenever we had a goal kick, which meant we ended going long a lot of the time (although I guess this could have been the plan?)

Overall, their shape and positioning were better. Ladapo got the ball quite a lot, but we couldn't seem to get much support to him.

On the other hand, they seemed to be able to play out from the back more consistently than us.

I might be a little over-critical of us here, but I do think they were just better set up than us. We still created chances and were pretty comfortable defensively, so it wasn't disastrous, but quite noticeable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024