Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maidstone United 12:52 - Jul 7 with 3046 viewsDJR

Just back from Maidstone where I caught some of the Maidstone United pre-season training through the gap in the turnstiles, having heard shouting in the distance from the path along the Medway, and knowing where the ground is.

They are currently in the National League South, and their pitch is 4G, thus enabling them to train on it.

It brought to mind the pre-season friendly we played against them in 1989 or 1990 in temperatures around 30 degrees. They were in the Football League from 1989 to 1992 before going bankrupt. They didn't have a home ground at the time, and the friendly was played in a rural location somewhere in north Kent.

Anyone else remember the game, as I can't find anything about it on the internet?

EDIT: The following indicates the game was in August 1990, and the attendance was 700, which sounds about right, as I don't think the ground had any stands.

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=head2Head&opponent=Maidstone+Uni

[Post edited 7 Jul 2023 13:35]
Maidstone United on 07:59 - Jul 8 with 2767 viewsHenryH

Yes I remember it was played on my birthday and which I share with John Wark. It was a sunny day.

The match was played on a open. field with no stand or
seats.
I remember being shocked and disappointed that we had signed Phil Parkes, as whilst a good goalie was well past his best. I looked this morning to see if I had the programme and if I had noted who scored, but alas couldn't find it

Think David Lowe scored, but maybe a wild guess. Pretty underwhelming game.
Maidstone United on 08:15 - Jul 8 with 2716 viewscarlisleaway

Maidstone United on 07:59 - Jul 8 by HenryH

Yes I remember it was played on my birthday and which I share with John Wark. It was a sunny day.

The match was played on a open. field with no stand or
seats.
I remember being shocked and disappointed that we had signed Phil Parkes, as whilst a good goalie was well past his best. I looked this morning to see if I had the programme and if I had noted who scored, but alas couldn't find it

Think David Lowe scored, but maybe a wild guess. Pretty underwhelming game.

Remember it well, in the middle of nowhere and the difficulty in driving through the country lanes to get to the ground. Good following of Ipswich fans that day.
Maidstone United on 08:31 - Jul 8 with 2666 viewsse20blue

The game was played at Corinthian FC, Gay Dawn Farm Fawkham Kent. They now play in the Southern Counties East League Premier Division.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_F.C._(Kent)
The programme is shown on the excellent POA site here if you click on the report in previous link.
Maidstone United on 10:48 - Jul 8 with 2389 viewsDJR

Maidstone United on 08:31 - Jul 8 by se20blue

The game was played at Corinthian FC, Gay Dawn Farm Fawkham Kent. They now play in the Southern Counties East League Premier Division.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_F.C._(Kent)
The programme is shown on the excellent POA site here if you click on the report in previous link.

Many thanks for that information. I've looked at the location on Google Maps, satellite view, and note that it isn't so far from where I now live, although at the time I was living in south London.

The programme rings a bell, and I have a feeling I have a copy tucked away somewhere.
Maidstone United on 16:55 - Jul 8 with 2085 viewsTrumptonBlue

The goal was scored by Ian Redford, a 25-yard left foot volley in the 68th minute.
Maidstone United on 17:43 - Jul 8 with 2000 viewsgainsboroughblue

It was an absolute scorcher of a day. I bought an ice cold can of coke from the refreshment stand and by the time I got back pitchside, the can was lukewarm.

Played at Corinthians FC and it had a bit of a Sunday morning league feel to it with fans just the other side of the touchline.

Ian Redford scored a peach of a volley.

I recall going to Phil Parkes testimonial at Upton Park (while he had just signed for us) around then too.

Aug 1990. Not sure of exact dates.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Maidstone United on 06:11 - Jan 28 with 948 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Hopefully won't play them again for a while.
Maidstone United on 08:54 - Jan 28 with 608 viewsDJR

Maidstone United on 06:11 - Jan 28 by BcarefulwhatUWish4

Hopefully won't play them again for a while.

And going back to my OP, they struck me as being very fit and athletic from the training I saw, and so they proved yesterday, because they made life difficult for us, defended well, got in crucial blocks, and didn't seem to tire at all.
[Post edited 28 Jan 8:55]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024