Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New book about Ramsey and '66 08:26 - Aug 28 with 1317 viewsSeablue

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/aug/28/answered-prayers-england-and-the-1
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 08:31 - Aug 28 with 1288 viewsSeablue

Bit harsh to say his statue 'ignored by all but the pigeons.' Huge respect in the town for him. Though apparently he used to ignore Robson when they passed each other walking their dogs in Christchurch Park!
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 08:32 - Aug 28 with 1274 viewsSeablue

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 08:31 - Aug 28 by Seablue

Bit harsh to say his statue 'ignored by all but the pigeons.' Huge respect in the town for him. Though apparently he used to ignore Robson when they passed each other walking their dogs in Christchurch Park!

Book sounds good though!
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 08:42 - Aug 28 with 1250 viewsBlueNomad

I haven’t seen the book but thought the same thing when I read the article yesterday. I suspect it is lazy journalism by a book reviewer who only thinks about the Emirates or Etihad as being “proper” stadiums as we aren’t in the “elite”.
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 08:52 - Aug 28 with 1226 viewsSeablue

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 08:42 - Aug 28 by BlueNomad

I haven’t seen the book but thought the same thing when I read the article yesterday. I suspect it is lazy journalism by a book reviewer who only thinks about the Emirates or Etihad as being “proper” stadiums as we aren’t in the “elite”.

Yes exactly. Well put!
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 10:08 - Aug 28 with 1157 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not entirely true - he was totally ignored whilst living in the town for decades. A bit like Beattie signing on in sight of the floodlights - the respect came too late and seems a little hollow.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 10:29 - Aug 28 with 1148 viewsBluespeed225

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 10:08 - Aug 28 by ElephantintheRoom

Not entirely true - he was totally ignored whilst living in the town for decades. A bit like Beattie signing on in sight of the floodlights - the respect came too late and seems a little hollow.

He lived a low profile lifestyle which people respected. We all knew where he lived. I saw him in Woolies when he was still England manager! I did break protocol though to get his autograph. It was outside Focus DIY! The glamour side of the game!
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 11:27 - Aug 28 with 1068 viewsRadlett_blue

When Robson was England manager, they were both in the Directors' Box at Stamford Bridge for a Chelsea game. Robson offered Ramsey a lift back to Ipswich & a stone faced Ramsey replied "I came by train and I shall return by train".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 11:46 - Aug 28 with 1038 viewsle2blue

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 10:29 - Aug 28 by Bluespeed225

He lived a low profile lifestyle which people respected. We all knew where he lived. I saw him in Woolies when he was still England manager! I did break protocol though to get his autograph. It was outside Focus DIY! The glamour side of the game!

Exactly right, I used to live around the corner from Constitution Hill as a kid and so used to see both Bobby and Alf out and about, in particular walking their dogs on Valley Road. Bobby would stop and talk most days to me and my dad and would always remember stuff we'd chatted about (mainly football), whereas Alf would never say anything, he was a deeply private person and never wanted any adulation. Don't think he would have even been keen on having a statue put up!

Alf came from a different era, so not sure the same lens can be applied to how later managers interacted with clubs and fans.
Login to get fewer ads

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 11:54 - Aug 28 with 1020 viewsWeWereZombies

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 11:27 - Aug 28 by Radlett_blue

When Robson was England manager, they were both in the Directors' Box at Stamford Bridge for a Chelsea game. Robson offered Ramsey a lift back to Ipswich & a stone faced Ramsey replied "I came by train and I shall return by train".

I wonder, had it have happened, whether Sir Bobby would have spent the entire journey explaining how the World Cup final could have been won in normal time...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 12:00 - Aug 28 with 1008 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ll be honest. I moved to north Essex in 1974 and started following Town. I’d have been eleven at the time.

During those Robson years I dint recall any reverence for Ramsey in the way that there has been for Robson, even 41 years after he left the club.

I recall a polite round of applause for Sir Alf when he was caretaker manager at Birmingham but that was all.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 13:22 - Aug 28 with 949 viewsgosblue

Thanks for posting. I’ll seek out a copy, Amazon I guess. How many clubs can claim to have had two great managers leave to take over the England Job?
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 13:31 - Aug 28 with 916 viewsoldburian

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 12:00 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

I’ll be honest. I moved to north Essex in 1974 and started following Town. I’d have been eleven at the time.

During those Robson years I dint recall any reverence for Ramsey in the way that there has been for Robson, even 41 years after he left the club.

I recall a polite round of applause for Sir Alf when he was caretaker manager at Birmingham but that was all.

Yes, you are right. But the context of the two managers achievements are somewhat different. In Alf’s case it was seven years finishing with a league championship and he was gone. The attendances were, on the whole, small so not a lot of atmosphere generated. His teams had, with the exception of Ray Crawford, players who gelled as a team but lacked individual glamour. The expectations were minimal but he was respected in a way that reflected his demeanour. Bobbies time was twice that and, apart from the first seasons, a period of sustained success with teams having a number of outstanding footballers with attendances reflected. For ten years we were considered by all as one of the top teams.
Both did the Town well but Robson’s reign will be remembered with greater emphasis and I witnessed both.
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 13:44 - Aug 28 with 892 viewsIllinoisblue

The review is slightly odd; says Ramsey’s status is “obscurely situated” in Portman Road, then just a paragraph later explains precisely why Ramsey is considered a hero in Ipswich.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 13:55 - Aug 28 with 875 viewsRadlett_blue

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 13:31 - Aug 28 by oldburian

Yes, you are right. But the context of the two managers achievements are somewhat different. In Alf’s case it was seven years finishing with a league championship and he was gone. The attendances were, on the whole, small so not a lot of atmosphere generated. His teams had, with the exception of Ray Crawford, players who gelled as a team but lacked individual glamour. The expectations were minimal but he was respected in a way that reflected his demeanour. Bobbies time was twice that and, apart from the first seasons, a period of sustained success with teams having a number of outstanding footballers with attendances reflected. For ten years we were considered by all as one of the top teams.
Both did the Town well but Robson’s reign will be remembered with greater emphasis and I witnessed both.

in the Championship season of 1961-62, Town averaged 22,835 at home. in 1980-81, probably our greatest season of the Robson years, we averaged 24,619. But yes, the 1961-62 figure was well above average, boosted by the novelty of playing in the top tier for the first time & the even greater novelty of winning the title.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 14:08 - Aug 28 with 858 viewsbackwaywhen

New book about Ramsey and '66 on 11:46 - Aug 28 by le2blue

Exactly right, I used to live around the corner from Constitution Hill as a kid and so used to see both Bobby and Alf out and about, in particular walking their dogs on Valley Road. Bobby would stop and talk most days to me and my dad and would always remember stuff we'd chatted about (mainly football), whereas Alf would never say anything, he was a deeply private person and never wanted any adulation. Don't think he would have even been keen on having a statue put up!

Alf came from a different era, so not sure the same lens can be applied to how later managers interacted with clubs and fans.

I also used to see him most mornings as I stood on the Valley Road waiting to be picked up for work , he used to walk past , walking his dog , trilby hat on , but always replied to my greeting of .. good morning, acknowledged me with the same ……….. my claim to fame lol I was only 16 it was 1972 .
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 14:14 - Aug 28 with 849 viewsLeaky

I saw him in the Inkermen one Sunday Lunch time. i was in there with my Dad & Uncle he said good day young man are you old enough to be drinking in a pub. He was right I was only 16.
New book about Ramsey and '66 on 17:26 - Aug 28 with 767 viewsjontysnut

Any West Yorkshire based blues can hear Duncan Hamilton talk about the book at Ilkley Literature Festival in October
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024