Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn 11:18 - Nov 4 with 805 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Today’s Nostalgia post is on a player who played for both sides. Have you got the Gleghorn?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzOKv6Tostl/?igshid=MXgxeHhneWUzeHAwYw==
Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:20 - Nov 4 with 712 viewspatrickswell

The first time I ever saw Ipswich play in the flesh was on 21 October 1986, when they played Plymouth at Home Park. I was 10 years old and the game took place on the Tuesday of October half term week.
I went up from Falmouth with my parents and we were the first people to arrive at the ground. The first car to park in that massive car park that was next to Home Park. It was bucketing down with rain, so we took shelter in a nearby pub. We headed back towards the ground an hour later, picked up a programme and then saw that the Ipswich team bus was arriving. Players started coming off the bus and some fans started going up to them and getting autographs. Most of the players signed about 3 autographs before heading through the entrance. I was rooted to the spot, my “heroes” - Cooper, Zondervan, Wilson etc - so close to me but I wasn’t a pushy child so I kept my distance. The last player off the bus was Nigel Gleghorn. He signed three autographs and was heading to the tunnel, when my mother ripped the programme out of my hand and managed to get between Nigel and the tunnel. “Please could you sign this for my son, he’s followed you since he was 3.” “Followed us?” said Nigel slightly quizzically. He signed the programme and then entered the ground.
It was the high-point of the night. In filthy weather, Town lost 2-0 and Bobby Ferguson was so angry by the performance, he suggested that the team shouldn’t have been paid for it. My parents and I were in the main stand, but I wished that we could have been down on the open terrace with the 100 or so Town fans who were getting absolutely drenched.

9 months later, my god-parents took me to Portman Road for my first ever home game, a 1-1 draw with Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1987/88 season. Gleghorn scored our equaliser in that game, so somehow he’s always felt like my ITFC spirit player.
Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:31 - Nov 4 with 700 viewsgainsboroughblue

Was a decent wide man although not the quickest.

Also, probably the last notable player we sourced from the North-East as a result of our scouting in that part of the world. Was playing for Seaham (can't recall what level on the pyramid they were) and he was working as a fire fighter.

Had a decent career after PR as well.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:31 - Nov 4 with 698 viewsIllinoisblue

See his name and automatically think: Seaham Red Star, part time fireman

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:33 - Nov 4 with 671 viewsgainsboroughblue

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:31 - Nov 4 by Illinoisblue

See his name and automatically think: Seaham Red Star, part time fireman

In the same way as we see Sunderland and think 'balmy'.

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:54 - Nov 4 with 610 viewsIllinoisblue

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:33 - Nov 4 by gainsboroughblue

In the same way as we see Sunderland and think 'balmy'.

Yes! The power of Dave Allard!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 13:19 - Nov 4 with 577 viewssolemio

A very good dribbler. What happened after he had beaten his man was not always so good.
Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 13:30 - Nov 4 with 549 viewsgainsboroughblue

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:20 - Nov 4 by patrickswell

The first time I ever saw Ipswich play in the flesh was on 21 October 1986, when they played Plymouth at Home Park. I was 10 years old and the game took place on the Tuesday of October half term week.
I went up from Falmouth with my parents and we were the first people to arrive at the ground. The first car to park in that massive car park that was next to Home Park. It was bucketing down with rain, so we took shelter in a nearby pub. We headed back towards the ground an hour later, picked up a programme and then saw that the Ipswich team bus was arriving. Players started coming off the bus and some fans started going up to them and getting autographs. Most of the players signed about 3 autographs before heading through the entrance. I was rooted to the spot, my “heroes” - Cooper, Zondervan, Wilson etc - so close to me but I wasn’t a pushy child so I kept my distance. The last player off the bus was Nigel Gleghorn. He signed three autographs and was heading to the tunnel, when my mother ripped the programme out of my hand and managed to get between Nigel and the tunnel. “Please could you sign this for my son, he’s followed you since he was 3.” “Followed us?” said Nigel slightly quizzically. He signed the programme and then entered the ground.
It was the high-point of the night. In filthy weather, Town lost 2-0 and Bobby Ferguson was so angry by the performance, he suggested that the team shouldn’t have been paid for it. My parents and I were in the main stand, but I wished that we could have been down on the open terrace with the 100 or so Town fans who were getting absolutely drenched.

9 months later, my god-parents took me to Portman Road for my first ever home game, a 1-1 draw with Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1987/88 season. Gleghorn scored our equaliser in that game, so somehow he’s always felt like my ITFC spirit player.

Wasn't it Gleghorn's 'foul' on Mark Ward that led to West Ham's penalty in 1986 that helped us on the way to relegation and and Butcher kicking a hole in the Upton Park away dressing room door?

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 15:01 - Nov 4 with 508 viewsGeoffSentence

Today’s Nostalgia post is on Nigel Gleghorn on 12:31 - Nov 4 by gainsboroughblue

Was a decent wide man although not the quickest.

Also, probably the last notable player we sourced from the North-East as a result of our scouting in that part of the world. Was playing for Seaham (can't recall what level on the pyramid they were) and he was working as a fire fighter.

Had a decent career after PR as well.

I think the football cliche 'wand of a left foot' was coined especially for him.

I really liked Gleghorn as a player. Often under-rated I felt.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024