Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Satellite/Aerial tv help. 19:36 - Nov 7 with 1062 viewsDeepBlueSea

I’m about to demonstrate my lack of electrical know-how, and probably basic intelligence.

I’ve just moved into a new house. The living room has two cables that look to me like standard aerial cables. I believe they are called coaxial cables. They are coming into the house from a dish attached outside, so maybe not your standard aerial cable after all. I’ve tried connecting each one to the aerial input on my tv. I’ve tried both cables, and I’ve tried it on two different TVs, so I don’t think my TV is the problem. I just get a ‘no signal’ error each time. What am I doing wrong? How can I find out if the dish itself is faulty? And why do I have two cables, where would I attach the other one given my TV has only one inlet that fits.

Thanks in advance!
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:38 - Nov 7 with 1034 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you are using a dish, you need a box don't you? Or have you got one of those Sky Glass things? Then I would imagine you need an engineer to connect that too but I don't know. Whenever I have moved I have had an engineer connect a new dish.

EDIT: If you want a terrestrial connection, you will need an aerial.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 19:44]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:39 - Nov 7 with 1028 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

My sky box has two cables in the back of it

Poll: Is Billm….

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:43 - Nov 7 with 995 viewsBuhrer

Would it be easier/cheaper to instead do everything through WiFi and smart TV apps etc.
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:43 - Nov 7 with 995 viewsDeepBlueSea

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:38 - Nov 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

If you are using a dish, you need a box don't you? Or have you got one of those Sky Glass things? Then I would imagine you need an engineer to connect that too but I don't know. Whenever I have moved I have had an engineer connect a new dish.

EDIT: If you want a terrestrial connection, you will need an aerial.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 19:44]

I see, thanks: I didn’t realise having a dish meant you need a box. I think with an aerial it can just go straight to your tv, without the need for a box, but that might be wrong too.
I don’t have sky glass, so I doubt it’s that. The tvs are several years old.
I’m actually in north Suffolk too, so would you mind popping round and sorting it? Ta.

Theoretically, could I buy any box, or is it more complicated than that?
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:44 - Nov 7 with 976 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:39 - Nov 7 by John_Warks_Willy

My sky box has two cables in the back of it

This...I think one is for live telly and the other for pause/record. We had 2 with a sky box but now just one is used on a freesat box.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:46 - Nov 7 with 959 viewsDeepBlueSea

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:43 - Nov 7 by Buhrer

Would it be easier/cheaper to instead do everything through WiFi and smart TV apps etc.

That’s largely what I did in my previous house, with a dongle, if that’s what you mean?. It worked fine. I’ve got another week until I get the Wi-Fi up and running, hence looking for alternatives. I guess I’ll have to be patient! Thanks for taking the time to reply though.,
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:47 - Nov 7 with 954 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:43 - Nov 7 by DeepBlueSea

I see, thanks: I didn’t realise having a dish meant you need a box. I think with an aerial it can just go straight to your tv, without the need for a box, but that might be wrong too.
I’m actually in north Suffolk too, so would you mind popping round and sorting it? Ta.

Once you have a box, you need a card and then many channels are subscription.

If you need an aerial, you will need someone who isn't afraid of heights! I have used a local TV aerial chap to remove one that was hanging by the lead from our roof. He was reasonable - I can pm you details if you want.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:50 - Nov 7 with 921 viewsDeepBlueSea

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:47 - Nov 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Once you have a box, you need a card and then many channels are subscription.

If you need an aerial, you will need someone who isn't afraid of heights! I have used a local TV aerial chap to remove one that was hanging by the lead from our roof. He was reasonable - I can pm you details if you want.

That would be great, thanks mate.
Login to get fewer ads

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:51 - Nov 7 with 911 viewsmarvellous

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:46 - Nov 7 by DeepBlueSea

That’s largely what I did in my previous house, with a dongle, if that’s what you mean?. It worked fine. I’ve got another week until I get the Wi-Fi up and running, hence looking for alternatives. I guess I’ll have to be patient! Thanks for taking the time to reply though.,

Depending on your mobile data allowance, could you set your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your dongle to it?
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:52 - Nov 7 with 893 viewsBasuco

You need one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUMAX-HDR-1100S-Freesat-Freetime-Recorder-Black/dp/B07D
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 19:53 - Nov 7 with 881 viewsBugs

It depends on your TV. On some TVs you can put the sat cable straight into the back of the TV if it has a sat decoder built in. Although it sounds like yours, don't.
Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 20:43 - Nov 7 with 791 viewsNW10_Tractor

Generally if you have two cables together is was usually where a sky installation previous was where you could watch one programme and record another as both cables went into one box. If you have an old satellite box you could hook it up and do a blind scan to see what comes up. You can get freesat boxes from Argos that pre programme your channels according to post code or you can get a cheap box for £17 and programme the channels in yourself.

Do the wires have “aerial” connectors where they are push in, or do they have “f” connectors what they screw in? 9 times out of 10 the screw on f connector is mainly for satellite in Europe - if you are in the US/Caribbean it’s the default… .

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

Satellite/Aerial tv help. on 07:22 - Nov 8 with 679 viewsRobTheMonk

*If it's the same problem we had, then this is what we did.

We had the exact same thing when we moved into our house.

We have a Samsung TV with the coaxial input in the back of the TV for Freesat. When I initially plugged in the wire, no channels were found.

I needed to change the LNB on the satellite dish itself. I've just checked my old Amazon orders and this is the one we used - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J81NXGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

You basically need physical access to the dish and then it's just a case of removing the current bit and replacing it with the new one.

Once we did that and connected the wire to the TV, we got all the Freesat channels after doing the search.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 7:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024