Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing that puzzles me... 16:48 - Feb 4 with 3546 viewswhymark4lazio0

Many on here have said we were terrible in the first half. That is true to some extent but isn't it mainly explained by the fact we conceded an unfortunate (I'm being generous to the referee) goal on 5 mins and another goal on 7 mins which was clearly offside. I know we'd like our players to be machines but to be knocked to the canvas twice in the first 7 minutes through no fault of our own was bound to shake us and give PNE a huge boost. Yes we conceded a sloppy goal on 39 minutes but to criticise our first half performance without acknowledging the impact of those 2 bizarre goals in just 7 minutes is peculiar.

In the second-half, Moore obviously made a big difference but just as important was the whole team refusing to accept defeat. That never say die attitude (which has been proven time and time again) and NOT the random opening 7 minutes should be the main take away.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

One thing that puzzles me... on 11:57 - Feb 5 with 379 viewsOsborneOneNil

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:09 - Feb 4 by whymark4lazio0

My point is that our performance in the first half was impacted by conceding 2 bizarre goals in the first 7 minutes. Do you not think that those goals knocked the wind out of our sails and also boosted PNE?

I hear ya. Fair point.
One thing that puzzles me... on 13:22 - Feb 5 with 317 viewsBseaBlue

One thing that puzzles me... on 11:47 - Feb 5 by NthQldITFC

My feeling is that we stick a little too religiously to our high risk 'baiting' tactics right from the start of each (particularly the first) half. But goading the opposition into chasing hard then is probably what is bringing us the benefit later on. Nevertheless, I think we should be a bit more conservative with the risk taking in the first ten minutes of each half, then move into that when we're 'warmed up'.

I tend to agree with this and the numbers for goals conceeded in those time frames back it up. I do wonder however, whether we will be a bit more direct at the start of matches with Moore up top.
One thing that puzzles me... on 19:17 - Feb 5 with 281 viewsArnoldMoorhen

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:43 - Feb 5 by whymark4lazio0

Interesting to come back to this thread. My original post said (about our poor first-half display)

"....isn't it mainly explained by the fact we conceded an unfortunate (I'm being generous to the referee) goal on 5 mins and another goal on 7 mins which was clearly offside. I know we'd like our players to be machines but to be knocked to the canvas twice in the first 7 minutes through no fault of our own was bound to shake us and give PNE a huge boost."

It's interesting because none of those who replied and said, in effect, 'disagree we were just poo/crap etc', have addressed my essential argument as quoted above. I can only conclude that they believe that conceding 2 extremely unfortunate goals in the first 7 minutes should have no effect on our or our opposition's confidence and performance for the rest of the half. As I say, that's an interesting perspective.

We were utter dog541t for those 7 minutes, though.

So was our confidence hit by letting in two goals, or by how badly we started the game which resulted in conceding two goals?

These unknowable, unanswerable hypothetical are easy to make up. For example:

If a tree falls in a wood and nobody is there to see it, would it still show better movement and positional awareness than most of the Ipswich team in the First Half?

Or has it just been battered by Kieffer Moore, Kieffer, Kieffer Moor-oor-oore?
One thing that puzzles me... on 21:10 - Feb 5 with 256 viewswhymark4lazio0

One thing that puzzles me... on 19:17 - Feb 5 by ArnoldMoorhen

We were utter dog541t for those 7 minutes, though.

So was our confidence hit by letting in two goals, or by how badly we started the game which resulted in conceding two goals?

These unknowable, unanswerable hypothetical are easy to make up. For example:

If a tree falls in a wood and nobody is there to see it, would it still show better movement and positional awareness than most of the Ipswich team in the First Half?

Or has it just been battered by Kieffer Moore, Kieffer, Kieffer Moor-oor-oore?

Coot.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024