Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dispatches from Leeds 10:11 - Apr 10 with 6032 viewsyorkshireblue

From my desk walking distance to Elland Road….

My Leeds supporting colleagues can broadly be split into two camps – those who go to games, and those who don’t (found out a colleague I’ve worked with for five years who talks about Leeds roughly every 25 mins in that time only actually went to his first game this season in the cup…claims he can’t get tickets but was outed by someone asking him how many times he’s applied in the matchday ballot… )

Those that do go, up until today have largely been pragmatic – going to the wire etc.

Whereas the ‘plastics’ have been very vocal about how they are the best team in the league, we’re going to fade and our luck will run out, the football league is corrupt. Apparently, the EFL want to keep them in the Championship as they are the EFL ‘cash cow’ and they want us to get promoted as it’s a good story. They seem to think that we get lots of decisions in our favour, they get none, and games are moved to make it harder for them and easier for us as we get more rest... and yes, I've tried pointing out facts to them but that doesn't seem to matter to them.

Notable change in the chat from Leeds fans today. I’ve been congratulated twice for winning the league! Farke has gone from the greatest manager in Championship history, to a fraud who should be sacked. I make that now the teams in 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th now calling for their manager to go? This is the first time I’ve ever heard them all in agreement that they don’t think they’ll get autos. Although they all think they’ll win the play-offs as nobody wants to come to big scary Elland Road apparently. If they don’t take an early lead against Blackburn on Saturday I can see the locals getting very restless, and if they go behind it’ll be toxic.

I’m keeping my powder dry… not started any conversations about football, said to all and sundry in the office when asked that we are the outsiders to go up and that last night doesn’t count for much unless we get a result tonight. And secretly I’d rather Leeds came up with us than financial cheats Leicester.

But my god if we go up and they don’t I’ve got some receipts I’ll be digging out.
Dispatches from Leeds on 11:32 - May 7 with 574 viewsRadlett_blue

Your point about the many modern "fans" - who are really "followers & don't attend games - often having strange views is well made. I have friends who support Chelsea & Leeds & they are both convinced that because umpteen VAR decisions have gone against their team this season, this all must be part of some dark conspiracy against their club. Rather like the wild beliefs of many of Trump's followers that all the charges against him are part of some bigger conspiracy. And impossible to disprove, so the nonsense continues.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Dispatches from Leeds on 13:20 - May 7 with 382 viewsTresBonne

Dispatches from Leeds on 09:24 - May 7 by Herbivore

Excellent work. I imagine Leeds is very salty today for a city that's not on the coast.

It was totally flooded when I got back here last night.

I can only assume a lot of tears were shed all weekend.
Dispatches from Leeds on 13:28 - May 7 with 350 viewsBluefarrier

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:32 - May 7 by Radlett_blue

Your point about the many modern "fans" - who are really "followers & don't attend games - often having strange views is well made. I have friends who support Chelsea & Leeds & they are both convinced that because umpteen VAR decisions have gone against their team this season, this all must be part of some dark conspiracy against their club. Rather like the wild beliefs of many of Trump's followers that all the charges against him are part of some bigger conspiracy. And impossible to disprove, so the nonsense continues.

I had a pal send me a patronising message on FB, “Welcome to the big boys.” He never struck me as a football fan, so I asked, “what team do you support”?
“Liverpool”.
“Didn’t know that you were a scouser?”
“I’m not but they are my team.”
He lives west of London!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024