Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd & Chelsea 13:08 - May 23 with 673 viewsFrimleyBlue

Forgetting the will he won't he stuff

Just out of curiosity for someone who's not overly followed prem football in recent years to much, But from what i've seen/read in the media and from supporters.. what actually makes the utd job any different to the circus that appears to be chelsea?

If any of the numbers here are wrong, apologies but i was just using wiki and im thick so it's likely.

But in the last 10 years, Utd have had 6 what you'd call perm managers, and Chelsea 8 So not a massive difference, albeit still a difference.

Both have kinda swapped 'who finishes' higher over recent years, but neither really getting close to winning it

Both have spent Millions and both have players that appear to be a shambles from those looking from the outside.

So when you're looking at both from the outside, they both appear to be awkwardly run clubs, with squads filled with players fans dont want at the club, Is the utd thing just because it is UTD or is there a big difference that im not appreciating?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:15 - May 23 with 596 viewsLeaky

I personally feel they need a Paul Cook type manager to sort them out. So I think Kieron should take the job further down his career path.
Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:18 - May 23 with 550 viewsJ2BLUE

If he could get some assurances that he would get time if he hits certain targets the Chelsea job is way more attractive IMO.

Chelsea have a squad full of quality and were beginning to show it. United need to spend big just to be top 4 again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:18 - May 23 with 549 viewsParsley

Partly because its UTD as you say, McKenna was a fan growing up and then assistant under Mourinho and Solskjaer.

New ownership at Man Utd might make a difference as well with Jim Ratcliffe now in charge of football operations I think officially and maybe looking for a fresh start in terms of managers?
Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:20 - May 23 with 531 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Man Utd are a ‘proper’ big club with loads of support. Chelsea are just a mid table team with lots of money, a few obnoxious thug fans, and loads of chinese tourists.

I guess the hope for Utd is that Radcliffe will restore some kind of stability to the club. But there’s a lot of work to do OT is falling down, and they have a mediocre squad with reportedly the highest wage bill in the league. A mixture of players not fit to wear the shirt, and those that don’t want to.

As others said, right now they need a ‘demolition man’, not a long term progressive appointment.
Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:31 - May 23 with 457 viewsSteve_M

Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:15 - May 23 by Leaky

I personally feel they need a Paul Cook type manager to sort them out. So I think Kieron should take the job further down his career path.

TBF, they've had plenty of managers who've managed to be crap with a lot of expensively signed players.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:34 - May 23 with 424 viewsChurchman

No idea. From the outside they both look a pile of brown stuff. Man Utd spent many millions on players in the last few years, few of which are up to much in a Champions League/top four sense. They look distracted, disjointed and just a discontented shower.

Chelsea spent under their current owner what, £250m? They improved massively during the season and by the end looked a proper team. Mainly due to Pochettino’s skill and yoof players they no doubt robbed off smaller clubs at a young age. But in booting Pochettino so fast, they look a bunch of entitled mugs. It looks a poison challis job with that bonkers owner.

To your main point, Manchester United are the biggest, most prestigious club in the country/world. For prestige, Madrid and Barcelona are in the same bracket. The rest at various levels underneath. That MU are shambolic circus doesn’t change that. It has to be the job everyone wants.
[Post edited 23 May 13:35]
Man Utd & Chelsea on 13:49 - May 23 with 343 viewsmarchy

Something interesting on the Man U situation.

McK at Ipswich: hired off the back of no managerial experience, trusted and well-backed, even when things briefly looked like they were wobbling.
131 matches, 75 wins, 57.3% win rate. Universally revered and adored, club wants to keep him.

ETH at Man U: hired off the back of his managerial pedigree, long-term top-level management experience domestically and in European competition, trusted and well-backed financially, delivered silverware (albeit the least valuable of it).
110 matches, 63 wins, 57.3% win rate. Pretty much universally reviled, been in seat less time than McK, yet is on point of being given the boot. Better record than Van Gaal, who was treated the same. Better record than Solskjaer, who had the fans' affections given his connection.

ETH has been objectively performing as well there as McK has here, with insane sums of money to play with, but nobody seems to be behind him and he's about to be shown the door because he can't beat oil states to major honours. Same thing happened with Mourinho, only with more silverware.

McK's a data man. Is he honestly going to look at this situation and fancy himself to better what ETH, Mourinho, LvG, Solskjaer etc. have been able to achieve, when he'd have a target on his back from day one for not being someone coming in with European management pedigree? And that's before we get into the madness of Chelsea. Surely he's got better judgement than that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024