| In a referendum would you vote for proportional representation on 20:53 - Oct 6 by Nthsuffolkblue | Isn't the gridlock prevented due to the limited amount of times the Lords can return a bill for reconsideration? I must admit I don't follow it all that closely so I may be wrong. I would suggest that having as many parties as want stand for the PR second chamber vote and for each 1% of the vote they get they appoint someone to serve for 10 years. Should that person die/resign/be deselected or whatever, their party replaces them with whoever they choose (i.e. they represent the party that was voted for and not any particular constituency). The chamber would then have around 200 members (maybe a few more or fewer if 0.5% are rounded up and anything below is rounded down) half of whom are up for re-election 5 years later. That is unlikely to see a chamber predominantly of any one political persuasion and it would provide the check and balance that the current House of Lords supplies. I think (again correct me if I am wrong), the US system is very heavily based on just two parties in both chambers. |
The Lords can only knock back an act twice. After that they have to pass it. An interesting suggestion about 10 year appointees. But whhat happens when yoou get a massive swing of voters ? To my mind the upper house should be apolitical and consist of experienced people who have something to offer. For instance Lord Sugar or Lord Botham. Two totally differing personalities but usually with something interesting to say. It is more of their kind that is needed, not just political appointees. [Post edited 7 Oct 16:42]
|  |