Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cognitive dissonance 08:20 - Aug 15 with 1078 viewsitfcjoe

Am slowly making my way through Matthew Syed's Black Box Thinking - the chapter on this is excellent and so much rings true when you read this board.

People re-framing arguments to allow their beliefs to be true, dismissing contradictory evidence once their opinion is formed and thinking everything that backs up their opinion is much more credible.

Am sure I am as guilty of it as most (not all though...!)

Some incredible cases when the Innocence Project get involved with DNA evidence which leads to the fantastic term of the 'Unindicted co-ejaculator' so frequent is the occurence.

The book is a really interesting read and one I'd highly recommend

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cognitive dissonance on 08:24 - Aug 15 with 1060 viewsJakeITFC

I really don't enjoy his writing.
Cognitive dissonance on 08:30 - Aug 15 with 1038 viewsitfcjoe

Cognitive dissonance on 08:24 - Aug 15 by JakeITFC

I really don't enjoy his writing.

Have you read his books or just his articles? I really liked Bounce, and am really enjoying this - find the the subject matter fascinating more than anything

Cognitive dissonance on 08:37 - Aug 15 with 1019 viewsBorisOrTrevor

He is suburban and he is dull, reading his books is like being in a meeting at work with the office bore. He is round he is so lacking in edge.

BOT

Also known as sour grapes on 09:09 - Aug 15 with 992 viewsDyland

My favourite of Aesop's fables. It's a de facto trait in so many walks of life, especially business.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cognitive dissonance on 09:35 - Aug 15 with 939 viewsGuthrum

Or is it merely that his argument is persuasively framed, with carefully selected supporting evidence and alternative positions dismissed?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cognitive dissonance on 09:40 - Aug 15 with 924 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Cognitive dissonance on 08:30 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Have you read his books or just his articles? I really liked Bounce, and am really enjoying this - find the the subject matter fascinating more than anything

I enjoyed that too - I've had Bounce lined up for ages but not got round to it.

I did think it kind of suffered a bit from being a big list of examples of things that maybe could have done with a bit more overall narrative, but as you say, the individual examples were very interesting, so *shrug*
Cognitive dissonance on 09:50 - Aug 15 with 905 viewsWeWereZombies

Only marginally aware of him - is this anything like Daniel Kannemann?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Cognitive dissonance on 10:14 - Aug 15 with 880 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Cognitive dissonance on 08:30 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Loved both of them, but then it is my bag completely and something that has relevance to my area of work, so there are added benefits for me to read them.

Have you got his newest offering - "The Greatest: The Quest for Sporting Perfection" I've not got round to that one yet, but it is next on my list when I next have some time to start a book

My only (criticism?) or comment is that the books are perhaps written in a more academic style and not the easiest to just prattle through if you wanted a page turner for a holiday. It takes a bit more thought and attention than most, but is perhaps all the more rewarding for it..
Login to get fewer ads

Cognitive dissonance on 10:18 - Aug 15 with 871 viewsRadlett_blue

Thanks - just bought it for £2:14 on Amazon.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cognitive dissonance on 10:18 - Aug 15 with 871 viewsitfcjoe

Cognitive dissonance on 10:14 - Aug 15 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Loved both of them, but then it is my bag completely and something that has relevance to my area of work, so there are added benefits for me to read them.

Have you got his newest offering - "The Greatest: The Quest for Sporting Perfection" I've not got round to that one yet, but it is next on my list when I next have some time to start a book

My only (criticism?) or comment is that the books are perhaps written in a more academic style and not the easiest to just prattle through if you wanted a page turner for a holiday. It takes a bit more thought and attention than most, but is perhaps all the more rewarding for it..

I've not read it yet but will do at some point.

My only real issue with Bounce was when it laboured the point about the 10,000 hours of practice with distance running and the like where it didn't seem to take into account physical differences and requirements of endurance events - or sprinting.

Agree re the academic style, each chapter is almost a stand alone story which could be a special feature in a newspaper - I've read this book slowly for a number of reasons but enjoy it every time I pick it up

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024