Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... 17:45 - Jan 30 with 2203 viewsvilanovablue

... Thanks it's a good listen for my journey home, quite thought provoking.
Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 17:47 - Jan 30 with 2194 viewsunbelievablue

You're welcome.

Favourite episodes:

S02 EPISODE 3: THE LAST FLIGHT
S02 EPISODE 2: TIME OUT OF JOINT
S01 EPISODE 10: THE SPACES THAT LINGER

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:02 - Jan 30 with 2175 viewssparks

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 17:47 - Jan 30 by unbelievablue

You're welcome.

Favourite episodes:

Is this crackpot nonsense, or just interesting stuff? Always on the lookout for more podcasts...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:05 - Jan 30 with 2171 viewsunbelievablue

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:02 - Jan 30 by sparks

Is this crackpot nonsense, or just interesting stuff? Always on the lookout for more podcasts...

The latter.

It's not your typical murder mystery pod, or 'most haunted' tosh. Here's part of a transcript, might give you an idea:

UNEXPLAINED

Episode 7: Ghosts In Time

For all the many elements that constitute the paranormal, there are few things quite as evocative as the ghost. Equally capable of scaring us senseless as they are of inflicting us with the deepest of melancholies, the ghost holds a unique place in the world of the supernatural.

There are of course the ghosts that we carry with us in our daily lives, memories of those we have loved and lost or perhaps even wronged; Thoughts that sit in the deepest parts of the psyche, straining to become manifest.

Perhaps the most famous of all ghosts is that of Shakespeare’s Banquo, as he appears to the tormented mind of Macbeth. We know him not as an actual spirit but rather he is the consequence of Macbeth’s mental capitulation.

But what of the apparitions that seem not to have been brought forth from the psyche, those that have no connection to the observer but instead seem for all the world to be reaching out to us from a seemingly timeless space?

For some, to witness a ghost, particularly that of a relative, might bring a certain comfort, the reassuring sense of a life beyond death. But for the cultures of the ancient world, there was little doubting the portentous nature of such a sighting.

If by chance you ever find yourself walking along the banks of the Tigris around the year 4000BC and happen to come across the spirit of a recently deceased family member, it could surely mean only one thing.

For the Sumerians death was an act from which there was no return. Rather, souls were left to dwell in a place called Kur, otherwise known as the Land of No Return. A place where all men and women were equals, no matter how rich or poor, and there they would remain in dreary darkness all watched over by Erishkigal, the dark queen of the Underworld.

For a relative to return from such a place would speak of something unsettled — perhaps a body not properly buried, lost at sea or abandoned on the battlefield. Or even a suspicious death that needed in some way to be rectified…

Often, a ghost or apparition will be said to be linked to a particular place. For those of us in the UK there are many, not least their respective tourist boards that would suggest the Great Tower of London or Edinburgh Castle as the country’s most haunted destinations.

However, thanks largely to the controversial and self-styled psychic investigator Harry Price, there is one place that has risen above all others in the history of the British ghost hunt.

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:08 - Jan 30 with 2165 viewssparks

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:05 - Jan 30 by unbelievablue

The latter.

It's not your typical murder mystery pod, or 'most haunted' tosh. Here's part of a transcript, might give you an idea:

UNEXPLAINED

Episode 7: Ghosts In Time

For all the many elements that constitute the paranormal, there are few things quite as evocative as the ghost. Equally capable of scaring us senseless as they are of inflicting us with the deepest of melancholies, the ghost holds a unique place in the world of the supernatural.

There are of course the ghosts that we carry with us in our daily lives, memories of those we have loved and lost or perhaps even wronged; Thoughts that sit in the deepest parts of the psyche, straining to become manifest.

Perhaps the most famous of all ghosts is that of Shakespeare’s Banquo, as he appears to the tormented mind of Macbeth. We know him not as an actual spirit but rather he is the consequence of Macbeth’s mental capitulation.

But what of the apparitions that seem not to have been brought forth from the psyche, those that have no connection to the observer but instead seem for all the world to be reaching out to us from a seemingly timeless space?

For some, to witness a ghost, particularly that of a relative, might bring a certain comfort, the reassuring sense of a life beyond death. But for the cultures of the ancient world, there was little doubting the portentous nature of such a sighting.

If by chance you ever find yourself walking along the banks of the Tigris around the year 4000BC and happen to come across the spirit of a recently deceased family member, it could surely mean only one thing.

For the Sumerians death was an act from which there was no return. Rather, souls were left to dwell in a place called Kur, otherwise known as the Land of No Return. A place where all men and women were equals, no matter how rich or poor, and there they would remain in dreary darkness all watched over by Erishkigal, the dark queen of the Underworld.

For a relative to return from such a place would speak of something unsettled — perhaps a body not properly buried, lost at sea or abandoned on the battlefield. Or even a suspicious death that needed in some way to be rectified…

Often, a ghost or apparition will be said to be linked to a particular place. For those of us in the UK there are many, not least their respective tourist boards that would suggest the Great Tower of London or Edinburgh Castle as the country’s most haunted destinations.

However, thanks largely to the controversial and self-styled psychic investigator Harry Price, there is one place that has risen above all others in the history of the British ghost hunt.

Hmm- I saw the phrase "psychic investigator". Perhaps not for me!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:11 - Jan 30 with 2162 viewsunbelievablue

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:08 - Jan 30 by sparks

Hmm- I saw the phrase "psychic investigator". Perhaps not for me!

In context? Shame.

Edit - it even says 'self-styled' and 'controversial'.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 18:12]

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:12 - Jan 30 with 2162 viewsvilanovablue

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:02 - Jan 30 by sparks

I'm a cynical old man and it's really very well done. He explores the unexplained in a level headed and sensible fashion. It's really worth a listen, well researched and thought provoking.
Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:15 - Jan 30 with 2156 viewsvilanovablue

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:11 - Jan 30 by unbelievablue

In context? Shame.

Edit - it even says 'self-styled' and 'controversial'.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 18:12]

He happily debunks stuff too
Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:16 - Jan 30 with 2153 viewsunbelievablue

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:15 - Jan 30 by vilanovablue

He happily debunks stuff too

And eloquently.

Login to get fewer ads

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:20 - Jan 30 with 2146 viewsvilanovablue

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 18:16 - Jan 30 by unbelievablue

And eloquently.

Not sure how I feel about his "mood" music.
Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 20:48 - Jan 30 with 2078 viewsLord_Lucan

You need to pick and choose but some on here a worth a listen.

http://theunexplained.tv/

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 21:09 - Jan 30 with 2058 viewsBLUEBEAT

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 17:47 - Jan 30 by unbelievablue

You're welcome.

Favourite episodes:

Links would be handy

Poll: W or W

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 21:34 - Jan 30 with 2039 viewsSwailsey

Thanks for this. Just finished Someone Knows Something and needed a new thing to get my teeth into.

*edit*

Is it the one with Howard Hughes?
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 21:36]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 21:44 - Jan 30 with 2025 viewsLord_Lucan

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 21:34 - Jan 30 by Swailsey

Thanks for this. Just finished Someone Knows Something and needed a new thing to get my teeth into.

*edit*

Is it the one with Howard Hughes?
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 21:36]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 21:48 - Jan 30 with 2020 viewsSwailsey

Whoever recommended the Unexplained podcast earlier... on 21:44 - Jan 30 by Lord_Lucan

Super, thanks!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024