Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. 17:10 - Apr 15 with 3378 viewsElGuaje4

Sorry if this has already been done.

19th November 2011. It’s been 12 years since Ipswich’s last win at the City Ground. Struggling at the wrong end of the table, Town find themselves 2-1 up late on against fellow strugglers Forest. However, Forest equalise on 83 minutes and then grab a 91st winner courtesy of Marcus Tudgay. This is just the beginning.

5th March 2013. Town having struggled are now finding some form under the recently appointed manager Mick McCarthy. Lee Martin is sent off for a challenge on ex-Norwich player Henri Lansbury. Ipswich then go down to 9 men when Richard Stearman is sent off for a second bookable offence. It looks as if Ipswich may see through a point despite the two man disadvantage. However, with 5 minutes to play, Lewis McGugan’s massively deflected shot finds the back of the net. Forest 1-0 Ipswich.

5th October 2014. Both teams are enjoying a good start to the season and find themselves in early promotion contention. Daryl Murphy’s early goal is cancelled out by a scrappy Robert Tesche leveller. Town go ahead however less than ten minutes later thanks to a superb header from Murphy. Once again, Ipswich look set to see it out until a goalkeeping and defensive error from another corner sees Michail Antonio net a 95th minute equaliser. Forest 2-2 Ipswich.

24th October 2015. The two sides meet once again at the City Ground. In a lifeless, drab game, Jonathan Parr sparks it into life with a sublime half volley into the top corner mid-way through the second half. As you may have already predicted, Town reach stoppage time when inevitably Liam Trotter, an Ipswich Town academy product scores on his Forest debut to level in the 96th minute. Forest 1-1 Ipswich.

7th May 2017. Forest need a win to guarantee Championship survival on the final day of the season. Jordan Smith makes a superb save in the first half pushing Emyr Huws’ effort onto the bar. Forest are then awarded a debatable penalty on the stroke of half time in which Britt Assombalonga confidently converts. Chris Cohen hits a great effort into the top corner in the second half and Assombalonga adds another while also missing a penalty. To be fair, this was a conclusive win for the Reds with the visitors offering nothing. Forest survive on goal difference. Forest 3-0 Ipswich.

14th April 2018. Following the departure of Mick McCarthy, Ipswich find themselves under the leadership of caretaker manager Brian Klug. In a pretty stale opening 30 minutes, Town go 1-0 up on ‘38 thanks to Grant Ward. Town miss guilt edge chances to extend their lead in the early stages of the second half. In typical style, they rue their missed chances when Ward bundles Ben Brereton over in the Ipswich area on 89. Forest are awarded a penalty and Brereton converts. Determined on going one further than previous years, Town capitulate in the 95th minute when Joe Lolley volleys home to win it for Forest. Ipswich end a club record of nearly 7 games without a goal for Forest, also having ended the home side’s former club record goal drought in 2012. Forest 2-1 Ipswich.

THE END.
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 17:59 - Apr 15 with 3304 viewsmonytowbray

The End!? Are we not playing them away next season?!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 18:02 - Apr 15 with 3299 viewsPJH

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 17:59 - Apr 15 by monytowbray

Better ask Putin and Trump.
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 19:08 - Apr 15 with 3236 viewsTractorCam

23rd October 2010, Lewis McGugan scores one of the best goals i've ever seen, and I called it would go in and had perfect view to watch it fly in the net, straight down my eye-sight

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 20:11 - Apr 15 with 3160 viewsElGuaje4

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 17:59 - Apr 15 by monytowbray

To be continued would’ve been more appropriate.
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 22:40 - Apr 15 with 3076 viewsstrikalite

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 20:11 - Apr 15 by ElGuaje4

To be continued would’ve been more appropriate.

Or, please don't have nightmares...this type of crime is still very rare...
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 23:30 - Apr 15 with 3048 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I've really come to despise the City Ground. It's genuinely become a bit of an obsession now.

Every damn year I walk back along the London Road to the city feeling p***ed off, but I come back every season because I'll be damned if I'm going to miss the one year we finally bloody win there. First time I went I was 20 years old. I'm 30 now. Never thought I'd still be waiting.

It's getting ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if they were actually good, but for most of that decade they've been even crappier than us. Absolute textbook definition of a bogey ground.
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 23:35 - Apr 15 with 3042 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 19:08 - Apr 15 by TractorCam

23rd October 2010, Lewis McGugan scores one of the best goals i've ever seen, and I called it would go in and had perfect view to watch it fly in the net, straight down my eye-sight

Exactly the same experience for me. Couldn't explain it but before he even hit it, I could see the line past Jason Scotland and into the top corner. There just seemed to be this inordinate amount of clear air between McGugan and the goal.
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 00:04 - Apr 16 with 3004 viewsmonytowbray

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 18:02 - Apr 15 by PJH

Better ask Putin and Trump.

I wonder if Kim Jong Un is annoyed he’s being left out of the dick swinging match now?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:21 - Apr 16 with 2867 viewsgainsboroughblue

Its funny how bogey clubs come and go. I remember West Brom being a side we regularly trounced home and away in the 80's and 90s. In the 2000's, we were utterly hopeless against them. Stoke were another.

Forest was one of our happier hunting grounds too before they came back up from Lge 1.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:26 - Apr 16 with 2860 viewsSteve_M

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:21 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Its funny how bogey clubs come and go. I remember West Brom being a side we regularly trounced home and away in the 80's and 90s. In the 2000's, we were utterly hopeless against them. Stoke were another.

Forest was one of our happier hunting grounds too before they came back up from Lge 1.

QPR was another one, from 2004 we only lost once until about 2011. Since then we've lost every bloody time, normally to a really late goal.

Still, there's always Derby.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:29 - Apr 16 with 2851 viewshype313

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:21 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Not sure on the stats but it seems we never get anything from that soulless bowl in Reading either.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:33 - Apr 16 with 2848 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:29 - Apr 16 by hype313

Not sure on the stats but it seems we never get anything from that soulless bowl in Reading either.

Yet Elm Park was a totally different kettle of fish. I saw us score 4 goals there twice. Even bloody Geraint Williams scored.

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:53 - Apr 16 with 2833 viewsSteve_M

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:29 - Apr 16 by hype313

It's one solitary win (Stead in 2009) and three draws since they moved there. And in one of those draws a last minute equaliser helped cost us promotion.

Plus it's in Reading and a soulless plastic bowl that needs a bus to get to it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:56 - Apr 16 with 2831 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 11:53 - Apr 16 by Steve_M

It's one solitary win (Stead in 2009) and three draws since they moved there. And in one of those draws a last minute equaliser helped cost us promotion.

Plus it's in Reading and a soulless plastic bowl that needs a bus to get to it.

Aggghh. The Bent (winner) followed by straight up the other end and Ingimarrson. Quite possibly the most gutting goal against Town I have seen.

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 12:18 - Apr 16 with 2813 viewsStowTractorBoy

Really is a bogey ground for us and on Saturday the one thing I could not get over was the number of fans around the ground as early as 1 p.m. At 1.30 p.m. the surrounding areas were heaving with fans coming across Trent Bridge in droves. Our place is deserted until 2 p.m. I know the City is far larger than Ipswich but a 25000 attendance for a team that can't score goals and not won in ages is to be applauded.
Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 12:28 - Apr 16 with 2786 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich Town FC at the City Ground: A recent history. on 12:18 - Apr 16 by StowTractorBoy

Really is a bogey ground for us and on Saturday the one thing I could not get over was the number of fans around the ground as early as 1 p.m. At 1.30 p.m. the surrounding areas were heaving with fans coming across Trent Bridge in droves. Our place is deserted until 2 p.m. I know the City is far larger than Ipswich but a 25000 attendance for a team that can't score goals and not won in ages is to be applauded.

It's much more of a hive of activity round there though. At least four pubs I can think of, and lots of places to eat. All that's in and around PR, is the ground really and the Drum and Monkey which was the nearest place to drink, has gone.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024