Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travelling advice 17:45 - Jul 17 with 802 viewsitfcbw

Me and a mate are planning on going away for a month next year. We are open to the idea of moving around countries in a continent, such as Asia, or exploring one in more depth. We don't currently have preferences on where we would go and are only in the initial stages of looking. I've been looking at South America, North America, Asia and even Europe today, but I am trying to work out which we could do within our budgets and time scale/time of year. We are restricted to August as I teach, so this may impact recommendations!
We are expecting to have maximum budgets of 5k each.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places that you've been and done something similar, or could share any tips? And is it worth booking on to travelling companies that sort things out for you or to book things individually?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Travelling advice on 19:44 - Jul 17 with 721 viewsTractorWood

If keen on Asia, I'd recommend Bali, Sri Lanka and Cambodia. The temples in Siem Reap are particularly amazing. These places are all very cheap for a couple of weeks each if you avoid expensive and probably luxury accommodation. That said, Cambodia is so cheap you could find somewhere very decent for £20 a night. Avoid big cities like Singapore and Hong Kong for more than a day or two as they will rapidly deplete your funds. Japan is an amazing place but is extremely expensive so maybe transit through Tokyo or something.

Have a rough idea of when you want to move on but don't bind yourself to a hectic schedule. You'll naturally like different places for different reasons so if you find one you love, you can stay for a bit longer.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that an hour or two flying can take you into totally different weather systems. For example it might be dry season in Cambodia but wet season in Bali. Do your research to make sure you aren't landing somewhere just as the 2 month monsoon season starts.

I'd love to go to Nepal and Vietnam but haven't been yet.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Travelling advice on 20:08 - Jul 17 with 690 viewsbluelagos

Check out exodus, dragoman and other over landing companies. You can visit a few places travelling on a truck. Camping, cheap hotels, generally roughing it.

Will be well within your budget for 4 weeks.

Aug will be worth considering the climate. Worth avoiding excessive heat / rains if possible.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Travelling advice on 01:31 - Jul 18 with 608 viewsKTBlue

Travelling advice on 19:44 - Jul 17 by TractorWood

If keen on Asia, I'd recommend Bali, Sri Lanka and Cambodia. The temples in Siem Reap are particularly amazing. These places are all very cheap for a couple of weeks each if you avoid expensive and probably luxury accommodation. That said, Cambodia is so cheap you could find somewhere very decent for £20 a night. Avoid big cities like Singapore and Hong Kong for more than a day or two as they will rapidly deplete your funds. Japan is an amazing place but is extremely expensive so maybe transit through Tokyo or something.

Have a rough idea of when you want to move on but don't bind yourself to a hectic schedule. You'll naturally like different places for different reasons so if you find one you love, you can stay for a bit longer.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that an hour or two flying can take you into totally different weather systems. For example it might be dry season in Cambodia but wet season in Bali. Do your research to make sure you aren't landing somewhere just as the 2 month monsoon season starts.

I'd love to go to Nepal and Vietnam but haven't been yet.

yep I would agree with that. Myamar is also an incredible place, and you could easily spend 2 weeks there. Vietnam is also a brilliant place, and because of its shape, it has a lot of different aspects to it. Can't really go wrong with asia, people are fantastic, cheap as anything (if you avoid the likes of HK and Singapore) and internal flights are really easy and cheap.

Feel free to PM me (the original guy not Tractorwood who I've inadvertently replied to if you want details), I've been living here for 5 years and have done most of SEA.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024