Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of play 09:44 - Aug 21 with 753 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

It's not pretty at the moment, but it's effective, and if it's getting results and pushes us up the league, I don't really care. We have to go up and that's all that matters. We can reflect on performances next summer.

I cast my mind back to when Lambert came in, and those two performances against Preston and Reading. I thought we wasn't by any means the finished article, but it was very clear the players had bought into Lambert in little time. We set up in a 4-3-3 but perhaps didn't have the right personnel. We pressed high, played out from the back, kept the ball really well and made chances. Then it was abandoned because we needed to win games and so we went more direct.

On goal kicks, we'd set out with 2 CB's wide of the penalty area, full backs on the half way line, CDM in the D, LCM & RCM wide almost in full back positions & a front 3 very close together - we stretched teams and made the pitch bigger.

What has surprised me is the fact Lambert hasn't gone back to that style ahead of this season. That style would be relentless for some teams - they wouldn't match our tempo or energy, and with confidence, quality too.

What we do works at the moment, but I'd certainly like to see us go back to that formation and way of playing now that we have better personnel for what was required.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Style of play on 10:09 - Aug 21 with 707 viewsMrTown

I don't think it pretty, but i don't think it is ugly.

It certainly isn't aimless panic ball hoofing, think lambert sees it as the wuickest way to get higher up the pitch quicker against teams who are getting a lot of men behind the ball against us.

Hitting a front man, with a striking partner, and two wingers with overlapping full backs seems to be the best way right now.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Style of play on 10:49 - Aug 21 with 673 viewshaynes_toe1

No, it's not pretty but if we're now going to accept it all over again because it's effective and it'll get us out of this division wouldn't it have made much more sense not to force McCarthy out of the club? I mean it would have saved this past year of misery.
Style of play on 11:04 - Aug 21 with 641 viewsDarth_Koont

We're not good enough to play the ball around. Either we're too slow and tentative and the opposition pressure us into losing the ball or we eventually do create an opening but screw up the final pass somehow.

Maybe that will come in time with a settled XI and more confidence but at the moment we look better and more threatening playing direct and getting the ball up to the attackers quickly.

Pronouns: He/Him

Style of play on 11:06 - Aug 21 with 635 viewsWickets

Style of play on 10:49 - Aug 21 by haynes_toe1

No, it's not pretty but if we're now going to accept it all over again because it's effective and it'll get us out of this division wouldn't it have made much more sense not to force McCarthy out of the club? I mean it would have saved this past year of misery.

Nah .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024