Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles 00:16 - Aug 28 with 1566 viewsPendejo

Have been coming to Colombia frequently since living / working here 2000-2002, but the nearest I've got to it previously was on a bus to Medellin 2 years ago. Here I sit in one of the hotels built on the grounds that form the theme park in what was once the jewel of Pablo Escobar's property portfolio.

And I have a decent Wi-Fi connection for the first time since leaving Uk, though I manage to get Saturday's result and a really poor quality video highlights on another connection.

Personally I love driving so we've rented a car to drive around and see some countryside, Colombia has built some fine new roads to make getting around easier, and spoilt them with low speed limits (max 80 kph*) backed with numerous speed cameras... But no-one seems to slow down for them. Wonder how much it'll cost me in fines?
That's on a straight dual carriageway.

Tonight I shall raise a glass of cold beer to the memory of Bury FC, here's to Bolton avoiding the same fate.

Finally, anyone admit to including Pukki in their FF team?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 00:22 - Aug 28 with 1550 viewsOldsmoker

I don't have any Nobs in my FF team and never will.
My starting 11 included some big money summer signings and they didn't even make the bench!! Used a load of transfers to shift them out and I'm playing catch-up.
Colombia seems nice.
Why do you need a car when they have that famous marching powder?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 06:19 - Aug 28 with 1473 viewsWacko

A point of note that anyone travelling to Colombia should

A) Not glorify the memory of murderous underage sex trafficker and paedophile Pablo Escobar

B) Not use the infamous substance that caused so much death and destruction for so many years

The locals will thank you for this. Let them move on.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 07:13 - Aug 28 with 1426 viewsBlue_Order

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 06:19 - Aug 28 by Wacko

A) Not glorify the memory of murderous underage sex trafficker and paedophile Pablo Escobar

B) Not use the infamous substance that caused so much death and destruction for so many years

Pablo was a paedo?

Don’t recall seeing that mentioned in Narcos.
Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 07:29 - Aug 28 with 1413 viewsWacko

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 07:13 - Aug 28 by Blue_Order

Pablo was a paedo?

Don’t recall seeing that mentioned in Narcos.

Exactly. All the Western world wants to do is focus on the 'cool' things he did.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-pablo-escobar-legacy-virgin-auctions-in-medelli

A lot probably happened not far from the OP's sun lounger
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 7:30]

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 08:18 - Aug 28 with 1357 viewsHerbivore

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 07:29 - Aug 28 by Wacko

Exactly. All the Western world wants to do is focus on the 'cool' things he did.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-pablo-escobar-legacy-virgin-auctions-in-medelli

A lot probably happened not far from the OP's sun lounger
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 7:30]

That first paragraph isn't really true.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 08:27 - Aug 28 with 1345 viewsBLUEBEAT

I hope you’re not doing a Feargal Sharkey on us? My jape-o-meter won’t be able to take it.

Poll: W or W

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 08:49 - Aug 28 with 1303 viewspimballwizard

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 06:19 - Aug 28 by Wacko

Do not disagree with your comments and yes he WAS evil BUT to contemporary residents of Medellin he is still regarded as a hero and his "Robin Hood "" actions improved the lives of many of the underprivileged .

Whilst Netflix" Narcos " was entertaining a more insightful version of events was detailed in the Steve Murphy and Javier Pena roadshow event last year (I attended this at Brixton O2 with Pendejo the OP above ) They were the two DEA agents responsible for his capture and death.

Apart from making money from their nationwide tours they put straight a lot of the stuff that was "made in a Hollywood basement" for Narcos and refused to co operate in a lot of instances .
Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 09:10 - Aug 28 with 1281 viewsWacko

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 08:49 - Aug 28 by pimballwizard

Do not disagree with your comments and yes he WAS evil BUT to contemporary residents of Medellin he is still regarded as a hero and his "Robin Hood "" actions improved the lives of many of the underprivileged .

Whilst Netflix" Narcos " was entertaining a more insightful version of events was detailed in the Steve Murphy and Javier Pena roadshow event last year (I attended this at Brixton O2 with Pendejo the OP above ) They were the two DEA agents responsible for his capture and death.

Apart from making money from their nationwide tours they put straight a lot of the stuff that was "made in a Hollywood basement" for Narcos and refused to co operate in a lot of instances .

Having spent a fair bit of time in Medellin, I would question your first paragraph. At best, there are one or two neighbourhoods who feel indebted to him since he built a lot of the infrastructure, but this is really blood money and doesn't mask over the fact that everyone pretty much knows someone who disappeared / was murdered / joined the paramilitary or cartels - this a wound that is very hard to heal when shows like Narcos keep cropping up.

I would also concede that yes, there are a number of companies / hotels / hostels looking to make a quick buck by capitalising on the tourist thirst for Escobar (like going paintballing in his villa in Guatape), but having dated a Colombian owner of a hostel I can also see there is a big drive to boycott any forms of Escobar tourism
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 9:14]

Login to get fewer ads

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 10:05 - Aug 28 with 1230 viewsBiGDonnie

Sounds serious.

If you haven't put Pukki in your team, you're a fool!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 13:14 - Aug 28 with 1179 viewspimballwizard

Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 09:10 - Aug 28 by Wacko

Having spent a fair bit of time in Medellin, I would question your first paragraph. At best, there are one or two neighbourhoods who feel indebted to him since he built a lot of the infrastructure, but this is really blood money and doesn't mask over the fact that everyone pretty much knows someone who disappeared / was murdered / joined the paramilitary or cartels - this a wound that is very hard to heal when shows like Narcos keep cropping up.

I would also concede that yes, there are a number of companies / hotels / hostels looking to make a quick buck by capitalising on the tourist thirst for Escobar (like going paintballing in his villa in Guatape), but having dated a Colombian owner of a hostel I can also see there is a big drive to boycott any forms of Escobar tourism
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 9:14]

Wacko , Hi.

My first para is what I have picked up from various sources. I confess to never have visited Colombia . I missed my chance about 25 years ago when my work buddy and I drew straws for either a visit to Rio Brazil or Bogota. We were both working for British Airways in sales .

Rio was fun but I was jealous of the photos he had of riding sidesaddle on a horse into a gaucho bar somewhere near Bogota with lots of pretty girls in the middle of nowhere... hmmm .

As regards Lat Am in general the stories from Argentina/Chile/Nicaragua/Venezuela etc etc have also exposed major misdemeanours over the years . Sadly things haven't really improved that much in 25 years but despite all the shenanigans I enjoyed my times on the continent.

Not sure if you are a regular visitor to PR but Pendejo and me would surely be happy to chew the fat at some time in the future !!
Finally, I've made it to Hacienda Napoles on 13:16 - Aug 28 with 1169 viewsericclacton

Pull de other one, it's got de bells on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024