Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Round pegs in round holes 11 10:25 - Dec 18 with 684 viewsSouperJim

After the loss on Saturday, we were discussing in the car whether an armchair fan's dumb 4-4-2 would have done better than the tinkerman approach. So as far as I can work out, here is the side that would have faced Bristol from those fit (priority by number of league appearances):-

GK: Holy
RB: Cotter
CB: Wolfie
CB: Wilson
LB: Garbutt
RM: Edwards
CM: Skuse
CM: Downes
LM: Nolan
ST: Jackson
ST: Norwood

Amusingly, this looks to have more balance than the side Lambert fielded, and is probably more defensively solid too. Is there a fair argument to be had that if we just played 4-4-2 every week, most experienced player in each position from those fit and available, we'd actually build some momentum and cohesion as a team?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:36 - Dec 18 with 650 viewsGuthrum

Is Cotter defensively solid? Edwards' form is patchy at best. Nolan is not really a LM.

I understand what you're trying to do (don't dislike 4-4-2 myself), but that's more an illustration of the squad's imbalance and a couple of key injury absences, with who you are having to play in certain positions.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 10:38]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:38 - Dec 18 with 640 viewsKeaneish

Edwards was suspended and Nolan at LM? After what i saw of Cotter's appearance in the week, he's not ready to start league games either.

I'd argue this has a lot of flaws too. Personally i liked the line-up against Rovers. Skuse at RB was obviously questionable but i'd rather that than Toto anywhere near a starting line-up despite Skuse being at fault for the second goal. It took us a while to gel and by that time it was all over. If we drilled this 433 system and sorted out the shape in the middle and the inadequacies at dealing with width in the FB areas, it has promise.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:45 - Dec 18 with 617 viewsSouperJim

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:36 - Dec 18 by Guthrum

Is Cotter defensively solid? Edwards' form is patchy at best. Nolan is not really a LM.

I understand what you're trying to do (don't dislike 4-4-2 myself), but that's more an illustration of the squad's imbalance and a couple of key injury absences, with who you are having to play in certain positions.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 10:38]

Clearly it's not a perfect lineup, but I'd be tempted to argue with Edwards on the right and Garbutt on the left (ok so one further forwards than the other) you have more balance to the attacking threat than we saw with Skuse and Garbutt and a narrow midfield.

Also with Skuse in midfield you've perhaps got a bit more defensive presence, reading the game and helping to protect the backline. Cotter is far from your first port of call for a rightback, but with his teammates looking after him he has to be a better option than an out of position Skuse at the wrong end of his career?

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:49 - Dec 18 with 606 viewsSouperJim

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:38 - Dec 18 by Keaneish

Edwards was suspended and Nolan at LM? After what i saw of Cotter's appearance in the week, he's not ready to start league games either.

I'd argue this has a lot of flaws too. Personally i liked the line-up against Rovers. Skuse at RB was obviously questionable but i'd rather that than Toto anywhere near a starting line-up despite Skuse being at fault for the second goal. It took us a while to gel and by that time it was all over. If we drilled this 433 system and sorted out the shape in the middle and the inadequacies at dealing with width in the FB areas, it has promise.

Missed that Edwards was suspended.

If we're going to play 433 we need KVY fit. The number of times we had absolutely nothing on the right side was embarrassing, Skuse understandably reluctant to maraud over the halfway line and the front 3 all seeming to want to play in the box. The whole system was ludicrously narrow and if it wasn't for some decent touches and hold up play from Keane, we'd have struggled to make the ball stick at all. You need someone who can carry the ball on both wings and much better movement up front for that system to work for me.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 10:50]

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 11:27 - Dec 18 with 574 viewsKeaneish

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 10:49 - Dec 18 by SouperJim

Missed that Edwards was suspended.

If we're going to play 433 we need KVY fit. The number of times we had absolutely nothing on the right side was embarrassing, Skuse understandably reluctant to maraud over the halfway line and the front 3 all seeming to want to play in the box. The whole system was ludicrously narrow and if it wasn't for some decent touches and hold up play from Keane, we'd have struggled to make the ball stick at all. You need someone who can carry the ball on both wings and much better movement up front for that system to work for me.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 10:50]

Yeah i agree with all of that. Norwood and Keane both wanted to play the same role. For me, i'd have Norwood through the middle and Sears and Jackson off him. KVY is a massive miss in that system though and i'd like to see Dozzell and Nolan swap over. Dozzell was stationary for their first goal letting the runner peel off him. No harm in trying it for a game.

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 11:36 - Dec 18 with 553 viewsSuperblue95

It’s amusing that you have Nolan on the wing in a “round pegs in round holes 11”

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 11:46 - Dec 18 with 546 viewsSouperJim

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 11:36 - Dec 18 by Superblue95

It’s amusing that you have Nolan on the wing in a “round pegs in round holes 11”

Not on the wing, just left midfield in a flat 442, couldn't see another available player better suited but I'm open to suggestions.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 11:47]

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:06 - Dec 18 with 527 viewsKeaneish

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 11:46 - Dec 18 by SouperJim

Not on the wing, just left midfield in a flat 442, couldn't see another available player better suited but I'm open to suggestions.

Garbutt and Kenlock at LB?

Login to get fewer ads

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:10 - Dec 18 with 518 viewsSouperJim

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:06 - Dec 18 by Keaneish

Garbutt and Kenlock at LB?

Yeah I guess that makes more sense, was just trying to stick to the premise of player who has the most appearances in each slot. Not that Nolan has specifically played on the left much...

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:46 - Dec 18 with 486 viewsKeaneish

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:10 - Dec 18 by SouperJim

Yeah I guess that makes more sense, was just trying to stick to the premise of player who has the most appearances in each slot. Not that Nolan has specifically played on the left much...

I thought Kenlock and Garbutt linked up well in the game they had together but there are question marks over Kenlock at times.

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:51 - Dec 18 with 477 viewsPJH

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:46 - Dec 18 by Keaneish

I thought Kenlock and Garbutt linked up well in the game they had together but there are question marks over Kenlock at times.

PL obviously has doubts about Kenlock because the LB position was his to lose at the start of the season and he eventually lost it.

As I have said on another thread one of the few things that PL seems to have made his mind up about is that Kenlock is NOT our first choice LB.
Round pegs in round holes 11 on 13:39 - Dec 18 with 451 viewsKeaneish

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 12:51 - Dec 18 by PJH

PL obviously has doubts about Kenlock because the LB position was his to lose at the start of the season and he eventually lost it.

As I have said on another thread one of the few things that PL seems to have made his mind up about is that Kenlock is NOT our first choice LB.

True but then i don't think Garbutt has really clicked with any LM put in front of him either? I don't think Garbutt or Kenlock are particularly strong at LB but the combination of the two is one of the better left sided partnerships i've seen this season, allbeit, very briefly.

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 13:53 - Dec 18 with 424 viewsParky

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 11:46 - Dec 18 by SouperJim

Danny Rowe?
Round pegs in round holes 11 on 13:54 - Dec 18 with 423 viewsSouperJim

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 13:53 - Dec 18 by Parky

Danny Rowe?

Injured I thought?

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 13:56 - Dec 18 with 418 viewsParky

Round pegs in round holes 11 on 13:54 - Dec 18 by SouperJim

Injured I thought?

Maybe, I have no idea what's actually going on with him. Thought he looked one of our better players at the start of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024