Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria 20:59 - Feb 27 with 2119 viewsSteve_M

Because otherwise there is nothing but good news around.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 22:13 - Feb 27 with 1984 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What could possibly go wrong.....for future reference, which side are the goodies please?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 22:19 - Feb 27 with 1976 viewsBluesquid

Very sad to hear if this is the case, hopefully there will be a de-escalation.

But the question needs to be asked, what are the Turkish military doing in Syria?

Erdogan needs to brush up on his map reading skills pretty sharpish, i'm sure if another country was occupying Turkish territory then he would carry out similar actions in order to repel foreign invaders.
Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 22:25 - Feb 27 with 1959 viewsHARRY10

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 22:13 - Feb 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

What could possibly go wrong.....for future reference, which side are the goodies please?

Goodies - those wanting to live peaceful lives

Baddies - those wanting to manipulate things to gain control (oil)

both sides encompass those from many countries
Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 09:46 - Feb 28 with 1826 viewsWeWereZombies

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 22:19 - Feb 27 by Bluesquid

Very sad to hear if this is the case, hopefully there will be a de-escalation.

But the question needs to be asked, what are the Turkish military doing in Syria?

Erdogan needs to brush up on his map reading skills pretty sharpish, i'm sure if another country was occupying Turkish territory then he would carry out similar actions in order to repel foreign invaders.

It is more complicated than that, Russia implies that they would not have attacked if they had known there were Turkish troops present, Turkey says Russia had been told:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/turkish-soldiers-killed-air-raid-syria-id

Meanwhile a new flood of refugees heads towards Turkey and a Russian fleet assembles off the Syrian coast. [edit] Not a fleet, just two warships carrying Cruise missiles...
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 9:54]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 09:49 - Feb 28 with 1821 viewsSwansea_Blue

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 22:13 - Feb 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 9:49]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 10:32 - Feb 28 with 1787 viewsGuthrum

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 09:46 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

It is more complicated than that, Russia implies that they would not have attacked if they had known there were Turkish troops present, Turkey says Russia had been told:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/turkish-soldiers-killed-air-raid-syria-id

Meanwhile a new flood of refugees heads towards Turkey and a Russian fleet assembles off the Syrian coast. [edit] Not a fleet, just two warships carrying Cruise missiles...

That's as good as a fleet for practical purposes. The Russians don't really do aircraft carriers (thus removing the need for the associated battlegroup).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 10:42 - Feb 28 with 1782 viewsWeWereZombies

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 10:32 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

That's as good as a fleet for practical purposes. The Russians don't really do aircraft carriers (thus removing the need for the associated battlegroup).

Hence my ellipsis at the end. But the increase in refugees might be the more worrying of the two developments. With over three and a half million already in their nation and almost as much of that potentially due to flee Idlib Turkey are looking to move on whoever they can. So expect increased tension between Greece and Turkey as refugees are encouraged to try their luck in the European Union.

In some ways I do not think we can blame Turkey, like Jordan they have shouldered the bulk of the refugee crisis arising from the Syrian Civil War - a conflict that was sparked far to the west when the Arab Spring commenced. The whole sorry affair could have been handled with much more tact and diplomacy, and I say that as someone who could have been adversely affected as I was stuck on holiday in Tunisia when the French Foreign Minister voiced support for Ben Ali, a monumental blunder that I see as having undeniable cause and effect as an impoverished but aspirant Tunisia became the prime breeding ground for ISIS recruits when the benefits of the Jasmine Revolution did not materialise.

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 11:00 - Feb 28 with 1762 viewsGuthrum

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 10:42 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Hence my ellipsis at the end. But the increase in refugees might be the more worrying of the two developments. With over three and a half million already in their nation and almost as much of that potentially due to flee Idlib Turkey are looking to move on whoever they can. So expect increased tension between Greece and Turkey as refugees are encouraged to try their luck in the European Union.

In some ways I do not think we can blame Turkey, like Jordan they have shouldered the bulk of the refugee crisis arising from the Syrian Civil War - a conflict that was sparked far to the west when the Arab Spring commenced. The whole sorry affair could have been handled with much more tact and diplomacy, and I say that as someone who could have been adversely affected as I was stuck on holiday in Tunisia when the French Foreign Minister voiced support for Ben Ali, a monumental blunder that I see as having undeniable cause and effect as an impoverished but aspirant Tunisia became the prime breeding ground for ISIS recruits when the benefits of the Jasmine Revolution did not materialise.

Another aspect to this is the refugee situation and Covid-19. Theoretically, it would seem to be an ideal scenario for a major outbreak and method of spreading the illness. No reports of anything yet, tho perhaps it's just the data has not been collected.

If Turkey had a more moderate (less antagonistic, at least) government, then not only may others have been more prepared to help with the refugee problem, but they might also not have exacerbated the Kurdish situation at home or pursued it over the border into Syria.

Login to get fewer ads

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 11:14 - Feb 28 with 1745 viewsWeWereZombies

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 11:00 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

Another aspect to this is the refugee situation and Covid-19. Theoretically, it would seem to be an ideal scenario for a major outbreak and method of spreading the illness. No reports of anything yet, tho perhaps it's just the data has not been collected.

If Turkey had a more moderate (less antagonistic, at least) government, then not only may others have been more prepared to help with the refugee problem, but they might also not have exacerbated the Kurdish situation at home or pursued it over the border into Syria.

Not so sure on your second point, on one hand it makes sense to have 'holding' refugee camps close to the Syrian border in the hope that the war will end and the refugees have a shorter journey home. And on the other hand having the refugees 'parked' in Turkey eases the crisis for other nations so I can see a tacit agreement whereby their indifferent government does the minimum whilst NATO and the EU turn a blind eye to other indiscretions - stating things in broad terms here.

As far as the Kurds go I can see no let up (despite there having been peace negotiations as recent as three years ago). Having met a couple of Kurdish women over the years I have to say that is a bundle of kettles containing intertwined frogs and cans of worms that I am not prepared to jump into.

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 12:25 - Feb 28 with 1724 viewsGuthrum

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 11:14 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Not so sure on your second point, on one hand it makes sense to have 'holding' refugee camps close to the Syrian border in the hope that the war will end and the refugees have a shorter journey home. And on the other hand having the refugees 'parked' in Turkey eases the crisis for other nations so I can see a tacit agreement whereby their indifferent government does the minimum whilst NATO and the EU turn a blind eye to other indiscretions - stating things in broad terms here.

As far as the Kurds go I can see no let up (despite there having been peace negotiations as recent as three years ago). Having met a couple of Kurdish women over the years I have to say that is a bundle of kettles containing intertwined frogs and cans of worms that I am not prepared to jump into.

It does, if that was the real reason for the Turks wanting to push out a buffer zone on the other side of the border. I'm not suggesting the Kurds are unqualifiedly the good guys, but Erdogan's policies have done nothing to de-escalate that situation.

I was thinking more in terms of other nations footing the bill for the refugee camps inside Turkey.

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 12:41 - Feb 28 with 1709 viewsBluesquid

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 09:46 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

How would the UK act if a part of UK territory became an Al-Qaeda safe haven? And at the same time that same area was also occupied by a foreign power.

What would the UK do?

Then that foreign power warns the UK to move away from it's troops and observation posts which are on UK territory.

What would the UK do?

The UK would deal militarily with the largest Al-Qaeda safe haven since 9-11 and at the same time demand that the foreign power leave it's territory and if that foreign power refuses to leave do you think that the UK would cease it's military operations and negotiate?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 12:44]
Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 15:13 - Feb 28 with 1655 viewsWeWereZombies

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 12:41 - Feb 28 by Bluesquid

How would the UK act if a part of UK territory became an Al-Qaeda safe haven? And at the same time that same area was also occupied by a foreign power.

What would the UK do?

Then that foreign power warns the UK to move away from it's troops and observation posts which are on UK territory.

What would the UK do?

The UK would deal militarily with the largest Al-Qaeda safe haven since 9-11 and at the same time demand that the foreign power leave it's territory and if that foreign power refuses to leave do you think that the UK would cease it's military operations and negotiate?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 12:44]

Sorry, are you trying to compare the United Kingdom with Turkey or the United Kingdom with Syria? Talking about Al-Qaeda when the insurgent force in the area is ISIS does not help matters either.

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 16:22 - Feb 28 with 1633 viewsBluesquid

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 15:13 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Sorry, are you trying to compare the United Kingdom with Turkey or the United Kingdom with Syria? Talking about Al-Qaeda when the insurgent force in the area is ISIS does not help matters either.

"Talking about Al-Qaeda when the insurgent force in the area is ISIS does not help matters either."

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham is an Al-Qaeda affiliate and the most powerful terrorist group in Idlib.

"HTS is the latest incarnation of al-Nusra Front, which was al-Qaeda's official affiliate in Syria."

"Although HTS insists it is independent and not linked to an external entity, the UN, US and Turkey consider it a group associated with al-Qaeda and list it as a terrorist organisation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45401474
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 16:25]
Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 19:12 - Feb 28 with 1591 viewsWeWereZombies

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 16:22 - Feb 28 by Bluesquid

"Talking about Al-Qaeda when the insurgent force in the area is ISIS does not help matters either."

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham is an Al-Qaeda affiliate and the most powerful terrorist group in Idlib.

"HTS is the latest incarnation of al-Nusra Front, which was al-Qaeda's official affiliate in Syria."

"Although HTS insists it is independent and not linked to an external entity, the UN, US and Turkey consider it a group associated with al-Qaeda and list it as a terrorist organisation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45401474
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 16:25]

Very informative, any response on the first question?

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 19:38 - Feb 28 with 1579 viewsBluesquid

Reports of Turkish soldiers killed by Russian airstrike in Syria on 19:12 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Very informative, any response on the first question?

I'm glad you learnt something.

Not trying to compare anyone, it's about territorial integrity and the illegal occupation by a foreign power and the presence of an Al-Qaeda safe haven.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 19:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024