Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Furlough 18:37 - Mar 31 with 2050 viewspennyfathersleg

2 weeks ago, I’d never heard of the word. Today I was told I’m gonna be in it for at least 2 months 😱😱

Just have to hope that the business survives and that there is a job for me to go back to!!
Furlough on 20:54 - Mar 31 with 1888 viewsBloomBlue

I always thought it was an american word and we used 'leave of absence' instead. Although I also thought lock down was american and in this situation we would use quarantine, but then again the BBC used riffed yesterday instead of redundancy so maybe we've all gone american
Furlough on 22:20 - Mar 31 with 1778 viewsRadlett_blue

Furlough on 20:54 - Mar 31 by BloomBlue

I always thought it was an american word and we used 'leave of absence' instead. Although I also thought lock down was american and in this situation we would use quarantine, but then again the BBC used riffed yesterday instead of redundancy so maybe we've all gone american

I had only heard of the word when watching Phil Silvers as Sergeant Bilko and a furlough was a welcome vacation from the humdrum life of the motor pool at Fort Baxter.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Furlough on 22:32 - Mar 31 with 1747 viewsThe_Major

Well he wasn't the Fifth Doctor's worst companion.

Oh, FURLOUGH.
Furlough on 22:48 - Mar 31 with 1722 viewsGlasgowBlue

Furlough on 22:20 - Mar 31 by Radlett_blue

I had only heard of the word when watching Phil Silvers as Sergeant Bilko and a furlough was a welcome vacation from the humdrum life of the motor pool at Fort Baxter.

Yep. That’s where I first heard it. Now I need to re watch the full run. Fantastic series.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Furlough on 22:50 - Mar 31 with 1716 viewsLord_Lucan

The BBC used Riffed?

That sucks.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Furlough on 23:22 - Mar 31 with 1678 viewsRozz

I survived furlough bingo this morning but my team (2 others) are off, as is 60% of our small office. They were to sign off this afternoon and cease all work activity or risk losing the furlough grant for everyone. My workload has tripled at 12 hours notice.

BINGO
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 23:23]
Furlough on 04:08 - Apr 1 with 1585 viewsbluewhite

Wikipedia says,
"The word furlough was first defined officially in the UK on 24 March 2020 in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. ... The government announced a new Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to enable businesses to continue paying part of their employees’ salary for those that would otherwise have been laid off."

Strange. As a collector of railway memorabilia I've known the word for many years, and not from an American source. It turns up on pre-1948 British railway tickets that were issued to military staff travelling home due to leave of absence.

Here is one of many examples currently found on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-ticket-LNER-Hitchin-Baldock/293506966670?hash
(The LNER operated from 1923 to 1947.)
Furlough on 10:40 - Apr 1 with 1431 viewsRadlett_blue

Furlough on 22:48 - Mar 31 by GlasgowBlue

Yep. That’s where I first heard it. Now I need to re watch the full run. Fantastic series.

The cartoon series "Top Cat" was effectively a re-make of The Phil Silvers Show. Maurice Gosfield, who played Private Duane Doberman in The Phil Silvers Show, provided the voice for Benny the Ball in Top Cat, and Benny's rotund appearance was based on Gosfield's. Additionally, Arnold Stang's vocal characterisation of the lead character, the eponymous Top Cat, was based on an impression of Phil Silvers' voice. It was re-named "Boss Cat" in the UK after only 4 weeks on the grounds that "Top Cat" was also the name of a pet food brand.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Furlough on 11:17 - Apr 1 with 1409 viewsWeWereZombies

Furlough on 04:08 - Apr 1 by bluewhite

Wikipedia says,
"The word furlough was first defined officially in the UK on 24 March 2020 in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. ... The government announced a new Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to enable businesses to continue paying part of their employees’ salary for those that would otherwise have been laid off."

Strange. As a collector of railway memorabilia I've known the word for many years, and not from an American source. It turns up on pre-1948 British railway tickets that were issued to military staff travelling home due to leave of absence.

Here is one of many examples currently found on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-ticket-LNER-Hitchin-Baldock/293506966670?hash
(The LNER operated from 1923 to 1947.)

You're not the lad who was at Northgate in the late Sixties who used to collect bus tickets, are you?

Used to go around at morning break asking everyone he knew came to school by bus if he could have their used tickets and was constantly reminded that 'You are never going to get the full set, you know'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Furlough on 13:12 - Apr 1 with 1343 viewsbluewhite

Furlough on 11:17 - Apr 1 by WeWereZombies

You're not the lad who was at Northgate in the late Sixties who used to collect bus tickets, are you?

Used to go around at morning break asking everyone he knew came to school by bus if he could have their used tickets and was constantly reminded that 'You are never going to get the full set, you know'.

Haha, no. Never been remotely interested in buses. Railway history only.

Anyway this Wikipedia claim that the term 'furlough' only entered our language last month, is clearly untrue. Just goes to show that what you read on Wikipedia isn't the gospel by any means.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024